Ladies... I give you The Short Bike List!

delyn
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

4'10" on a harley sport 883 hugger

#11 Unread post by delyn »

Hi all I'm new here. Just found the site which I think is great.
I rode a 883 hugger for 8 years with no major problems.

Rode with flats but heel did not touch the ground. My dealer said that the (swing)? arm could be flipped to lower it but by the time I got back fro TX I was used to riding the bike as it sat.
Had a issue with the oil cap resting right under my thigh, that got slightly warm. :)

nytrauma911
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Re: Ladies... I give you The Short Bike List!

#12 Unread post by nytrauma911 »

I'm 5"1 1/4, weight 120 lbs. I have a yamaha virago 250 which i absolutely love, but now I want to upgrade to something with a little more power. I love the yamaha tourer 950, but it is very top heavy. it takes me 2-3 tries just to get the bike up in a ride position. People are telling me the weight is not a problem when Im riding, and I can see that. But my concern is when I stop or slow down will I be able to handle the weight. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#13 Unread post by MZ33 »

If you want to stay with cruisers, try looking at the Kawi Vulcan 500cc, or the Honda Shadows (600-750cc). You will get used to the heavier weight with time, but if you have to work as hard as it sounds to get the bike off the stand, I would say it isn't fun. I had that happen to me when trying to sit on a Yamaha SomethingHuge cruiser at a demo. I figure if I can't rock it off it's stand, I don't want it--even if I can ride it.

On the other hand, take a look at other cruisers in the 950's class, and try sitting and righting those. It may very well be that you need to practice a different technique than you used with the 250. The 250 is probably light enough that you can muscle it around with mostly arm strength, like a guy would. Your strength is in your lower body, not upper. All cruisers carry their weight low, so if you use your legs and hips to help you rock the bike up, you may be surprised at what you can do. That Yamaha is the only bike I've ever had that problem with, and it was a shocker. I'm pretty strong, grew up on a farm, around machinery, etc. I'm also kind of short, with short arms, so it may be that I just couldn't leverage my body the way I wanted. :twocents:
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#14 Unread post by dr_bar »

nytrauma911 wrote:I love the yamaha tourer 950, but it is very top heavy. it takes me 2-3 tries just to get the bike up in a ride position... ...But my concern is when I stop or slow down will I be able to handle the weight. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

First off, if you're holding the 950 in an upright position, it is a very well balanced bike and shouldn't be a problem. You will find that you will eventually find the 950 to be a rather light-weight bike after riding it for a while. A good tip on standing any bike up...

First, straddle the bike.
Second, turn the handle bars all the way to the right.
Third, lift the bike and rotate the bars to centre as you lift.

I know people that are quite small and can lift the biggest bike they can get their leg over using this technique. My bike is well over 800lbs, (and that's before I throw all my gear on it) and it pops up like a dream. Give it a try and let me know what you think....

Doug
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

johbren
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by johbren »

My wife is 4'9" with a 24 inch inseam. She bought a vstar 650 custom. We lowered it 4" in the rear and 1.5" in the front. She can ride it with no problems. She can cruise down the interstate 75 mph all day long.
07 c50=Husband
08 650 custom=wife

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#16 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

there aint nothin like it

Sporty313
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: HD 2015 1200 Superlow touring

#17 Unread post by Sporty313 »

Hi ladies... New here. Love the site. Been riding 12 years 4'11" started on. Buell 650, moved to an 07 HD SPORTSTER 883 XL low, just traded for a sporster 1200 touring super low...and while the new bike is sold as a super low it is about 1.5 inches taller than my old sporty and wider...just enough that I cannot flatfoot and getting it off my driveway and backing it up into the street is a problem. Any recommendations on custom seats ..had a corbin slim on the last sporty but they are hard a concrete....would prefer a softer ride this time around ... Also any advise on boots. Thanks Sporty313

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#18 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I can't help you with the seat...but some Harley boots have very thick soles and heels. Go to your local HD dealer and try some on.

They have laces on the front but a side zipper.

sdweltoro
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '15 HD XL1200T '12 Suzuki Boulevard S40

#19 Unread post by sdweltoro »

Sporty313 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:04 pm Hi ladies... New here. Love the site. Been riding 12 years 4'11" started on. Buell 650, moved to an 07 HD SPORTSTER 883 XL low, just traded for a sporster 1200 touring super low...and while the new bike is sold as a super low it is about 1.5 inches taller than my old sporty and wider...just enough that I cannot flatfoot and getting it off my driveway and backing it up into the street is a problem. Any recommendations on custom seats ..had a corbin slim on the last sporty but they are hard a concrete....would prefer a softer ride this time around ... Also any advise on boots. Thanks Sporty313
You might want to try a Harley "Brawler" solo seat.
2015 HD XL1200T
2012 Suzuki Blvd S40
:cowboy:

ACollins012
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None yet

#20 Unread post by ACollins012 »

Is a ninja 650 street bike too much bike for a rider at only 5'1?