PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Re-introduction...

#1 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

I was around a while back.

I crashed at the end of May in 2009 and did not get back on a bike until recently, and only then, was just sitting in the driveway. I miss the feeling that I used to have being on two wheels, but it scares the hell out of me.

I sold my truck a couple of weeks ago to buy a motorcycle for my fiance while I drive his car (I'm still debating on which one of us got the better end of the deal. He gets a Kawi, I get a Porsche...). I've become comfortable with riding on the back, but I freeze every time I put my hands back on those bars. Hopefully coming back to this forum will give me some insight that I need to overcome this mental block.

Anyway, hello to all the old members that I used to chum around with a few years ago, and howdy to anyone that's joined since then.

And of course, an obligatory picture of the newest addition to the family... 2000 ZRX1100

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Re-introduction...

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Welcome back to the forum. I'd like for you to do a little exercise, if you will. Stand up straight, feet about 10 inches apart. Relax. Shoulders back, arms loose at your side. Relax. Close your eyes and shake out your arms. Think about the good times you had on your bike. Relax. Still shaking out those arms, still relaxed, and still thinking good thoughts.

In every thing we do there is the potential for good and bad things to happen. Don't let the possibility of some bad thing keep you from enjoying the good things.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Welcome back!

Like he said, that's a good exercise for those that are not quite comfortable. You may also look into getting one of these.

I haven't used one, but I know a few people who have and apparently it increases the pillion's feeling of security, plus allows both to move around and the pillion doesn't crush the rider against the gas tank during hard braking (coming from a guy, that's a HUGE bonus).
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome back.

Get your BF to take the bike to a big parking lot. You drive the car to the same parking lot. Once there get on the bike and practice in the parking lot.

Baby steps......start out doing parking lot practice. Then..the first time you go on the road, have him follow. If after a few blocks you can't do it, pull over and swap vehicles to go home.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

Do what you have to do, if that means never riding again, so be it. It would be better alive in a cage than an accident looking for a place to happen on two wheels, because you're too nervous to react properly or think straight. That said, try small steps like blues suggested and just maybe, that love of freedom will overcome the fear and let you enjoy the life that comes with riding two wheels...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Welcome back home! Good to see another one of our 2008 members back on again. :D

I've always had a soft spot for the looks of the ZRX. Awesome looking retro! Not really the bike I'd be suggesting to start out again on... if I remember you had a FZR600R right? If so, then I'd suggest sticking to something around that as it will be more comfortable and familiar. If you are "stuck" with the ZRX, well, slow and easy is my advice.

No matter what bike you are going to have then my suggestion is to just sit on the bike in the garage idling, getting use to it's weight and feeling. Have your fellow ride it to a parking lot then Then just go in a straight line down the parking lot. Do some basic slow WIDE turns, some stops (not fast ones, just slow ones), and build up from there. :D

BTW, in your avatar, what are you shooting with?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

Must be very difficult for you. I can only suggest what I have seen through experience with others that have had accidents. Many have gone right back to basics. Bicycle first, then a scooter then the bike. Small steps to get the mental attitude back on track.

I back up what Dr Bar said. Be 100% sure it is what you want. Better to be alive and yearning.....
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#8 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

Thanks for the kind words.

BF has been very understanding regarding my hesitancy, and we discussed a few days ago about running out to a parking lot and doing some basic exercises. If I can go in a straight line for a little bit, I'll be happy. Definitely not the bike I want to start out on again, but I'd like to just do a few little things before deciding to get my own again. I'd love to find another FZR in reasonable condition. I might be too scared of this particular machine to ride with any amount of competency.

I think maybe I worry too much about what could happen and end up holding myself back because I can't focus on what is actually right in front of me. It's good to think ahead, but I'm thinking about it in the wrong way.

Baby steps... I'll start out in a parking lot and take it from there. If it goes well, I think I'll leave it at that for a while and let that itch grow again.

Mike -It's an Anschutz 8002 air rifle (.177). That picture was taken at the Western Region championships in 2007.
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

Well, here we are a few months later, post baby and post fear.

We rode out to a parking lot and I finally took the reins. It was wonderful! I was so afraid of that machine. Honestly, it is easier to ride than my old FZR. The seating position is more upright, and once you get going, the bike just totally sheds its weight.

I've been riding to work ever since.

Thank you all for the encouraging words!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Yay! Congratulations! Glad everything is improving for you. How's the baby doing?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha