pmj714
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: don't have one yet

Cruiser VS Dual Purpose

#1 Unread post by pmj714 »

Hey all, my name is Paul. I'm 27yrs old and according to my budget i'll be getting a bike either at the end of this year or the middle of next year.

I've never driven a motorcycle before. My ultimate goal is to be using a Cruiser type of a bike. I plan on obviously going through a bike school and stuff but i just need to know: Can i get away starting off with a cruiser bike, or am i better off getting a dual purpose first and then upgrade to a cruiser when i have enough experience?

I'm basically plan on just using it to get me from point A to point B...and to occasionally make a road trip out of state thus the desire to ultimately be driving a cruiser type of a bike.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Cruiser VS Dual Purpose

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Take the MSF course, they provide the bike, you get to learn how to ride. Then you can decide what kind of bike to get.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

What John said :D
there aint nothin like it

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

I bought my bike first, then took the course...should have taken their advice...oh well, lesson learned. Listen to the guys with experience, they might know a thing or two.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#5 Unread post by sapaul »

You have plenty of time, take the course first, then find out who will let you ride demo's. You could make a whole fun thing of finding the right bike.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Chabu
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800

#6 Unread post by Chabu »

Completely agree with replies. I had an idea of what type of bike I wanted before the course and it definitely changed after. I thought I would go with a cbr250 sport bike. After taking the course I thought I would prefer a cruiser (prefer the forward controls and seating position) so I decided on a Sportster. After going and sitting on the 883, I thought better of it and got a smaller cruiser (Honda Shadow 600) as it felt more "controllable" and better weighted. So my advice is to take the MSF and then keep an open mind and then go sit on bunch of bikes as you'll be surprised by the different feeling of each.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

pmj714 wrote:a dual purpose first and then upgrade to a cruiser when i have enough experience?
You consider a cruiser to be an upgrade from a dual purpose? I would consider a cruiser to be a huge downgrade from a dual purpose bike. :?

Which is precisely the point John J was making in the quote below.
Johnj wrote:Take the MSF course, they provide the bike, you get to learn how to ride. Then you can decide what kind of bike to get.
Excellent advice. You will not really know what kind of bike you are suited for or will like until you actually learn how to ride.

:exactly:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

I'm considering getting a cruiser (bagger actually) as my third bike...I want my wife to ride with me and if she picks a cruiser, that's what I'll be riding. It really makes no difference to me, since I just love to ride! I'm not a speed guy, I follow the speed limit and the only thing I like about the adventure bikes is the suspension to soak up the potholes and crappy roads I have to deal with...

Go take the course and try out every style of bike they have available...then make your decision. Don't just get the one your buddies have so that you fit in, if they are really buddies they won't give a c-r-a-p what you ride (sorry it PC'd me to crumb)...if a cruiser is what you feel most comfortable riding, then that's for you...maybe a dual sport/adventure bike, maybe a standard is more to your liking...maybe your a closet sport bike guy...you never know until you try it.

Remember that riding is a personal thing and you are doing it to enjoy yourself, not to fit in or impress others...if you are, you are riding for the wrong reasons.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

madjak30 wrote:they are really buddies they won't give a c-r-a-p what you ride (sorry it PC'd me to crumb)
I thought c r a p is the polite version. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500