Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

Re: Why I ride

#32 Unread post by Loonette »

Welcome newcomers!! Remember to spend less time on the freeways BECAUSE it's too easy. Straight-aways, steady speed, gentle curves - they don't do much to challenge your skills. What you want to focus on are the quiet streets and country roads where you can practice slow maneuvers, rapid (NOT panic) braking, clutch/rear brake work on the tight, slow turns. And yes, even the dreaded U-turns. Practice, practice, practice.

Why I ride... over the past 9 years, riding has become a sort of psycho therapy for me. I don't have a lot of free time, and I can't imagine a better way to spend it. In a couple of years, both of my kids will be out of high school (something I struggle with a lot these days). Although I will miss them being in my daily life, I look forward to my husband and me getting out on some nice moto trips together. The way it's been for the past several years is we either take short, day trips together or longer, weekend type trips individually.

Enjoy the SV650 - a good friend of mine has had hers for a few years and just loves it. I think she wants to trade up to the 1000 at some point. Be safe, be bold, and have fun!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#33 Unread post by madjak30 »

I had a dirt bike as a kid from 9 to 13 and always wanted to ride a street bike, but here in Canada (Alberta especially) a bike is a seasonal toy. So from the age of 16 until 39, I could only dream about riding. At best it's a 8 month season, some years only 5. So when I was younger, economics kept me from getting into it...then four months before my 40th birthday, I decided it was time. I told my wife and signed up for the course. (best investment ever!) The moment I fired up the bike and started riding in the course, I knew this was for me.

Riding is just such a pure joy, all your troubles melt away as soon as you fire up the bike and put on the helmet...I've had it described as the closest thing to flying that you can experience, and having never been a pilot I'd have to just believe them (although my buddy is just getting his license & is a pilot for WestJet, so I'll ask him once he's on the road) Even the process of putting on the riding gear puts a smile on my face. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad day riding!

I ride to escape my everyday headaches and to feel alive. I like the fact that there is no radio (I wear ear plugs), no phone, no distractions. You are out in the wind, feeling the hot & cool pockets of air, smelling the trees & flowers as you go by...all the things you don't get when you are in a car. Yes, getting caught out in a heavy rain or a hail storm sucks...but I still enjoy being out there, even if I'm soaked & cold & being beaten on by hail...every ride is an experience and I just can't see me not having that...so yeah, I guess I live to ride!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

cargarl
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: harley 1986

#34 Unread post by cargarl »

Wow you are a real model for us I have always wondered how long I will ride my bike and i just started 4 years now.. I am 25 and thought i would have to stop by the time I am 30! Thanks for giving us some spirit to do it longer!!

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#35 Unread post by blues2cruise »

cargarl wrote:Wow you are a real model for us I have always wondered how long I will ride my bike and i just started 4 years now.. I am 25 and thought i would have to stop by the time I am 30! Thanks for giving us some spirit to do it longer!!
Some people ride well into their 60's and 70's and some beyond.

30 is still young.

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki SV650s

#36 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

It's me again. I got a weird post this morning from this site, saying it was a "private message". Someone saying it was nice to meet me even though I have no idea who they are and asking if I want to be friends then mentioning some biker dating site? :ermm: almost a little creepy? Maybe it's just me.
Anyway, finally couldn't handle my drunk boss and walked out after 8 years. Why am I bringing this up here? Because I am selling my place and moving to Idaho! Northern Idaho to be exact. The one thing that makes me sad about this decision is riding. The best part about California now that I started riding motorcycles is of course the weather and the fact that I can pretty much ride year round. This is not the case up there. I AM looking at a house however with a dock and access to a lake that appears to be pretty private. In the photos of this place I don't see any neighbors to speak of. So I thought maybe I could get some chains and spin broadees (that's what we called them in Alaska, better known as doughnuts) on the lake in the wintertime! ha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#37 Unread post by jstark47 »

MaeBe43 wrote:It's me again. I got a weird post this morning from this site, saying it was a "private message". Someone saying it was nice to meet me even though I have no idea who they are and asking if I want to be friends then mentioning some biker dating site? :ermm: almost a little creepy? Maybe it's just me.
Mike the board admin. posted about the spam PM's this morning. You might not have seen his post, it was in the "Total Motorcycle Box" section of the board (down at the bottom on the front page).
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#38 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It seems that that spammers hit about 50 inboxes. Mike managed to remove most before we even knew about it. That account has been banned now.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#39 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Idaho I'll be.. I always thought Idaho was a tax write off for the gubamint :D I went half way round the world in the Army and never met anybody from Idaho... now on TMW I know not just 1 but 2 thats right 2 folks who now live there!!!! Well turn the lights off when ya leave please :wink:
there aint nothin like it

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki SV650s

#40 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

Update. I did sell my place and am packing up my truck, two bikes and renting a Penske truck that a friends gonna drive up and I'm on my way. I was up in Idaho a couple of weeks ago to find a place to buy (this is only the second time I've been there. Once 5 years ago I drove through Coeur d'Alene) and of course August is a great month to go see what Idaho doesn't look like 9 months out of the year! Anyway, unlike yourself who does know one other person in Idaho, I don't know anyone there. I do know one person actually, my Realtor.
Not sure what you meant by we'll turn the light off. Is that a backwards reference to Motel 6?