robacycle
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 0

Big guy trying to ride

#1 Unread post by robacycle »

Hi. I am new to the forum and new to riding. I am taking the MSF class later this month, and wanted some opinons on bikes. I am 6'6" and 330 pounds, and I like cruisers. I particulary like yahama (v star), honda's shadow (ACE). Alot of research i have done online tell me that my first bike should be a 250, but I think 250 is way to small for me. Any suggestions? Also do you think i will have a problem taking the course on a 250 as all they have at the course is 250's. I should also add i am not trying to go over the 5000 price mark.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Big guy trying to ride

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey bud. Another big guy here at 6'2 and same weight. The 250 advice is for sportbikes, not for cruisers.

I started off on a 2001 Suzuki Volusia and loved it size wise. It's now known as the Boulevard C50 (they added fuel injection and floorboards in 05). The Hondas are a bit small feeling for me, the Viragos, Intruders, and Boulevard S series are way too small for me, and the Yamaha V-stars are too small unless they're the 1100, which is about the same power-wise as my Volusia. The big difference is water cooled versus air/oil cooled on the Yamaha.

So all in all I suggest checking out the Boulevard C and M50s, the Vulcan 900 (if you can find one for under 5K, they're relatively new on the market compared to the others, and then double check how you fit on the Hondas.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I suggest a 50hp/500lb bike to start. Remember it won't be your last bike.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

robacycle
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by robacycle »

Thanks gents Ill look into them at let you know how it goes.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Welcome from another tall rider (6'4"). The V-Star (650cc, 512.6 lb) and the Shadow Ace (750cc, 505 lbs) are both good choices for a first cruiser as you will have taken the MSF course. Like Johnj has suggested I wouldn't go over 500lbs for your first bike. Sure, a Vulcan 900 (657.1 lbs.) will offer a little more power but then again you will have an over 650lb bike (+150lbs) and that extra 150cc cc won't make a lot of difference.

Both the Ace and V-Star are nicely reliable bikes (Yamaha and Honda), neither will let you down.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

robacycle
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by robacycle »

Thanks, I try them out this weekend and let you know what i think. I was looking at the C50 and M50 but I think i like the ACE and V-star better as far as looks go, now i just need to see about feel.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I'd be interested (as well as many others here) on your opinions on these bikes from a new rider perspective as these bikes come up quite often in good first bike recommendations. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The V-Star 650 is fine for a first motorcycle.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#9 Unread post by Wrider »

Trust me, I'm shorter than him and can't turn it without hitting my knees, and at my weight it can't maintain 75 or 80 miles an hour unless it's downhill.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Kawasaki Verseys end of story :cowboy:
there aint nothin like it