Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: This week: 2014 EBR 1190RX: Vote Today

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
JackoftheGreen wrote:Only one question -- why not have matching rims fore and aft? Is that common?
For a guess, it could be a weight f/r ratio EBR wanted to meet. I doubt it's because they couldn't get the same f/r tire. Since they are the manufacturer they could have easily made the same spoke design for both wheels.

Interesting, I'll ask them when I get a chance.

Mike
I agree. I suspect the rear needs to be really beefy to handle the power transfer, but the front can be light since braking forces don't need to travel through the spokes since the brake disk is directly attached to the wheel rim. It would still be better if the designs were sorta similar front and rear.

It’d be great to get Eric’s explanation though.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#12 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/m ... 1382571631
I asked this question on a Buell board and got some great answers, here ya go.
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

UPDATE: Nothing yet from the EBR media rep, I imagine he must be incredibly busy right now so I wrote directly to Erik Buell himself. He is a great guy and I'm sure will have the answer shortly.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok everyone, this is the official word I got straight from Erik Buell himself. (Thanks Erik for answering this for our readers)
Mike,

Thank you for the posting to bike of the week...

The front and rear spoke designs are different because the job they do is different. With an inside out front rotor there are no torsional loads going through the spokes so the design is optimized for this. The rear wheel is an optimized design for the fact that it is loaded torsionally.

Very best,

Erik

So there you have it.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#15 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Thanks for going the xtra mile Mike and to Erik as well for taking the time to answer in what has to be a crazy time in the company!!!!
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

BRUMBEAR wrote:Thanks for going the xtra mile Mike and to Erik as well for taking the time to answer in what has to be a crazy time in the company!!!!
101% glad to, I love going that extra mile. :D

Erik and EBR are incredibly busy right now preparing for the upcoming AIMExpo. I've known Eric for a while and he is a great fellow who also goes that extra mile as well. Glad to have a guy like him around. :cowboy:

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

Sportbikes (in this case, maybe it should be called a superbike) are all about the numbers. Horsepower, torque, weight, lean angle... and the new 2014 EBR 1190RX has the right impressive numbers: 185 hp @ 10,600 rpm, Peak Torque 101.6 ft-lbs. @ 8200 rpm, Weight (Wet, no fuel) 419lbs., Lean Angle 55°... which alone makes it amazing in my books. But what makes it amazing plus is it's done with EBR's new engine (72° V-Twin) and in fact that 185hp is made from a V-Twin! Usually you see those numbers from an inline four, but rarely from a V-Twin.

I can't wait to see what the other 2 EBR bikes will be coming up. Hopefully we will see something along the lines of an entry level smaller engine bike and I wonder if a dual sport/adventure is coming our way as well... love to see a big naked too. The RX without fairing made UJM would be quite appealing.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Your Coolness Factor of the 2014 EBR 1190RX is:

Awesome (3 points) 57% [ 20 ]
Cool (2 points) 37% [ 13 ]
Uncool (1 point) 3% [ 1 ]
Fail (0 point) 3% [ 1 ]

Total votes : 35

= a Coolwall Factor of 82.9%

NOTES: Sportbikes (in this case, maybe it should be called a superbike) are all about the numbers. Horsepower, torque, weight, lean angle... and the new 2014 EBR 1190RX has the right impressive numbers. As of writing it has finished an incredibly close #3 on our Cool Wall with just 0.4% separating 1st to 3rd! Even Erik Buell even commented, how amazing is that? Looking forward to the future EBR models!

Next bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!

Mike

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: 2014 EBR 1190RX - Coolness Factor = 82.9%

#19 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Totally didn't mean to spark so much discussion about the wheel rims, LoL! I didn't even notice that the brake rotor on the front tire was 'inside out', that's an impressive bit of engineering. Talk about fine-tuning, I've always considered rims to be like rolling pins -- once you've satisfied the function, there's more than enough material for form. That is to say, by the time you've engineered a rolling pin capable of flattening dough, you could also hammer a nail with it. (-:

Either way, it's a great looking bike and I'm glad to see it did so well. And I'll second the thanx to Mike and Mr. Buell for going out of their ways for us. We all appreciate such a commitment to service.

Shriker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '13 VMax,'98 VTR1000F, '87 XT350

Re: 2014 EBR 1190RX - Coolness Factor = 82.9%

#20 Unread post by Shriker »

Sooo happy to see EB finally getting the every man one of his great machines.....really look forward to the upcoming other models as well! Well Done....