jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Harley-Davidson's New Steet Line - Street 500 and Street

#11 Unread post by jstark47 »

Absolutely fascinating. The MoCo tosses away the marketing advantage of the "lifestyle" and decides to compete with the rest of the industry on level ground. Hope they're up to it, but major kudos for even daring to try.

No legacy. No pushrods, no single-pin crank (I'm guessing), no long-stroke narrow-angle v-twin. Nothing but the HD name. They're now doing exactly what the rest of the world does, and competing solely on name. Well, everyone has been saying for years they've got to move beyond the traditional "faithful" or die, as the Faithful are an aging demographic.

So how much is the name worth, when all the rest of the legacy usually evoked by the name is missing? We'll find out. Because unless this bike is a tad better and a smidge cheaper than the Japanese competition, the name is all that sets it apart.

If nothing else, the critics of the MoCo (they are legion, and include me, I'll admit it) now need to STFU. Harley Davidson has gone and done what we've been yelling for.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#12 Unread post by High_Side »

jstark47 wrote:Absolutely fascinating. The MoCo tosses away the marketing advantage of the "lifestyle" and decides to compete with the rest of the industry on level ground. Hope they're up to it, but major kudos for even daring to try.

No legacy. No pushrods, no single-pin crank (I'm guessing), no long-stroke narrow-angle v-twin. Nothing but the HD name. They're now doing exactly what the rest of the world does, and competing solely on name. Well, everyone has been saying for years they've got to move beyond the traditional "faithful" or die, as the Faithful are an aging demographic.

So how much is the name worth, when all the rest of the legacy usually evoked by the name is missing? We'll find out. Because unless this bike is a tad better and a smidge cheaper than the Japanese competition, the name is all that sets it apart.

If nothing else, the critics of the MoCo (they are legion, and include me, I'll admit it) now need to STFU. Harley Davidson has gone and done what we've been yelling for.
Well said

High_Side

#13 Unread post by High_Side »

From the HD custom shop:

The RDX800 - WOW!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#14 Unread post by Wrider »

Bravo to the motor company! I'm very happy they're moving forward!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

First, Welcome back fireguzzi!! Glad to have you back home. :revv:

Second, I am really enjoying the comments above. Yes, it does seem Harley-Davidson is joining the flock and offering a product that CAN be easily compared to the Japanese market... are they ready for that? Well, we will see, there isn't any torque or horsepower numbers quoted yet for the 500 or 750. All I can say is, I think, that the Street 750 won't beat the Moto Guzzi 750 in a race, unless that H-D 750 V-Twin is much more powerful as an extra 85lbs of bike isn't nothing. Also not sure about the tank size, looks like a peanut sized tank (3gal/12l), but that would make sense as it's a 100 mile range (urban) bike anyways. (the Guzzi' is a 5.3/22l). The next thing is the "Ultra-low seat height". And the seat height on the Street's do not look low, telling me, this bike might be quite small framed. (riders around 5' only).

But with the price, that's awesome. I wonder if they will also make a Street 1000 or Street 1250?

High_Side wrote:From the HD custom shop:

The RDX800 - WOW!
The RDX800 was one of the 3 concept models to which H-D selected (The RDX800 appears to have won). The RDX looks great, maybe the Street 750 will be offered in a colour as well (eventually).

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side

#16 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote: But with the price, that's awesome. I wonder if they will also make a Street 1000 or Street 1250?
Like a V-Rod perhaps? :mrgreen:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote: But with the price, that's awesome. I wonder if they will also make a Street 1000 or Street 1250?
Yes, but I was thinking more VTR like. :D

The world could use another VTR.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side

#18 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:
Yes, but I was thinking more VTR like. :D

The world could use another VTR.

Mike
Now you are speaking to me in a language that I can understand :D

Chip Beazley
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 57
My Motorcycle: 2014 H-D FLHTP, 2012 Suzuki C50T

#19 Unread post by Chip Beazley »

I am quite interested in seeing what the 750cc bike is really like. The promo photos of the 750cc bike show a standard bike that looks better than its competition from Honda and it looks way better than the Yamaha Bolt. I have tried out a Bolt and I am unimpressed...while it has a greater displacement than the 883 Sportster, I found it to be uncomfortable, did not ride as well and did not display the assembly quality of a Harley. It looks much more like a bike cobbed up in someone's garage out of bits and pieces or someone's chop job. I guess this is why Yamaha advertises the bike as a bobber. If the performance of the 750cc bike matches the Honda Shadow ES, Harley will have a winner.

No body produces a competiting bike in the 500cc class and judging by the promo photos of the 500cc bike it appears that H-D will sell customized versions as well.

The 500cc/750cc bikes are priced right to bring new and younger riders (including the ladies) into the H-D fold.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Chip

2014 H-D FLHTP Police
2012 Suzuki C50T