Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 - Coolness Factor = 86.2%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... r-1200.htm

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 on Totalmotorcycle.com

Monster Instinct...

The performance and fluidity of the new Testastretta 11° DS engine, the versatility of the three Riding Modes, the comfort of the adjustable seat and passenger handles make the Monster 1200 a bike that is capable of adapting to any occasion, so that you can follow your instincts in every situation. The unmistakeable Monster design is truly iconic and means there is no limit to your enjoyment.

Twenty-one years on from the Monster’s first unveiling, Ducati now introduce the iconic model’s latest generation with the 2014 Monster 1200 and 1200 S powered by the formidable, Superbike-derived 1198 Testastretta 11° DS engine. The brand new flagship of the family presents an entirely new chassis and muscular styling designed with premium components fully integrated with Ducati’s latest technologies.

Evoking the exciting memories of past models such as the powerhouse S4R and S4RS, the 2014 Monster 1200 also boasts an exclusive S model with 145hp and a ride-enhancing 92ft-lb of high-accelerating torque, wrapped beautifully in a spec-impressive chassis that tips the scales at 182kg (401lb) dry weight.

High-spec brakes, suspension, single-sided swingarm and lightweight wheels combine with Ducati’s best-yet ergonomics to offer the Italian manufacturer’s most attractive Monster ever. Super comfortable and introducing an innovative adjustable seat height, the model also combines 8-level traction control, 3-level ABS and 3-level Ride-by-Wire into Ducati’s user-friendly, press-button Riding Modes.

The 2014 Monster 1200 and Monster 1200 S use next generation technologies to create an enhanced rider/motorcycle relationship, delivering a high-adrenaline experience while constantly reassuring with the feeling of complete control and ergonomic integration.

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 - Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $13,495 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $14,595 CDN
British MSRP Price: £ 10,695 GBP

Engine Type

Testastretta 11°, L-Twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
Displacement
1198.4cc
Bore x Stroke
106 x 67.9mm
Compression ratio
12.5:1
Power
100.7 kW (135 hp) @ 8,750 rpm
Torque (Totalmotorcycle.com)
118 Nm (87 lb-ft) @ 7,250 rpm

Technical data referring to power and torque was measured on an engine test stand at Ducati.
Fuel injection
Electronic fuel injection system, 53mm throttle bodies with full Ride by Wire
Exhaust
Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and two lambda probes. Twin aluminium mufflers

Transmission

Gearbox
6 speed
Primary drive
Straight cut gears, ratio 1.84:1
Ratio
1=37/15 2=30/17 3=27/20 4=24/22 5=23/24 6=22/25
Final drive
Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 41
Clutch
Light action, wet, multiplate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run. (Totalmotorcycle.com)

Chassis

Frame
Tubular steel Trellis frame attached to the cylinders head
Front suspension
43mm fully adjustable usd forks
Front wheel
10-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x 17
Front Tyre
120/70 ZR 17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Rear suspension (Totalmotorcycle.com)
Progressive linkage with fully adjustable monoshock. Aluminium single-sided swingarm
Rear wheel
10-spoke in light alloy 6.00 x 17
Rear tyre
190/55 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Front wheel travel
130mm (5.1in)
Rear wheel travel
152mm (5.9in)
Front brake
2 x 320mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Monobloc Brembo M4-32 callipers, 4-pistons, radial pump with ABS as standard
Rear brake
245mm disc, 2-piston floating calliper with ABS as standard equipment
Instrumentation
Colour TFT display

Dimensions and weight

Dry weight
182kg (401lb)

Weight data refers to the dry weight of the motorcycle without battery, lubricants and coolants for liquid-cooled models.
Wet weight (KERB)
209Kg (461lb)

Kerb weights indicate total bike weight with all operating consumable liquids and a fuel tank filled to 90% of capacity (as per EC standard 93/93). (Totalmotorcycle.com)
Seat height
Adjustable 785 - 810 mm (30.9 - 31.9)
Wheelbase
1511mm (59.5in)
Rake
24,3°
Trail
93.2mm (3.7in)
Fuel tank capacity
17.5l - (4.6 US gal)
Number of seats
Dual seat

Equipments

Standard Equipment (Totalmotorcycle.com)
Riding modes,Power modes, DSP Ducati Safety Pack (ABS + DTC), RbW, passanger handles and seat cover, ready for anti-theft system and DDA

Warranty

Warranty
24 months unlimited mileage
Maintenance service intervals
9,000m/12 Months
Valve clearance check
30.000km (18,000m)

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... r-1200.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2014 Ducati Monster 1200: Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Just released and brand new from Ducati for 2014... a new breed of Monster.

See all the new 2014 Ducati Motorcycles right here on Total Motorcycle: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Ducati.htm

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The front half looks good. The rear fender looks stupid. And the comment in the text about adjustable passenger handles...hahahahaha....I can't imagine being a passenger on a postage stamp sized seat.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

GAWD that thing is SEXY and even though they stole the XB Buell exhaust headers I still LOVE it!!!!!!!!!
there aint nothin like it

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

So relieved Ducati got rid of those "vents" (for the airbox?) on the tank. Much sleeker. Engine plumbing is a bit messy (air-cooled Monsters are much cleaner, but what do you expect?). Still awesome, and arguably still the best looking liter-class naked bike.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I'd like to give this an Awesome, because it sure looks like an Awesome machine, but I'm having a hard time with that. I can't imagine the average rider would ever get more than 60% out of this bike, maybe 70% if they were young and in great health. That being the case, this bike is 30-40% bragging rights, and that's a hefty mark-up.

In addition, damn those folks at EBR, but now when I see a sport bike with plain central brake rotors and matching rims, I assume the engineers left some performance on the table. That's the danger of asking questions I guess. (-: The single-sided swingarm sure is cool though.

So here's my Cool vote. (-:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

oooooo, now that is one tasty, meaty sexy looking nekkid bike....I even like the rear fender....lets face it, the rear fender of bikes like this are generally so butt ugly, that riders opt to spend even more money on getting after market replacement kits, I figure Ducati is just being pro-active and getting rid of them in the first place, thus saving its customers a bit of coin.
Always ask why.

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#8 Unread post by ZRex »

I have always loved Monsters, that is actually how I found out about TMW. A few years ago(2007ish) I was looking for a picture of a Ducati Monster 1000 and that is how I found Total Motorcycle.com. I really like this bike, actually I really want this bike, so I definitely have to vote Awesome.

Mithrandir
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#9 Unread post by Mithrandir »

The MC looks great but I would not like to try fitting on the passenger seat. (As blues2cruise noted it is about the size of a stamp.)

It is more MC than I could (currently) handle or want, but it would probably be fun on the PCH and the interstate highways.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: A very solid Cool.

If it just wasn't for that low, low seat height (30.9 - 31.9") and seat ergo's I would have voted Awesome but I am fearing that I just wouldn't be able to fit on this bike (darn it!) and that would really, really bug me as this is such an awesome bike. Great price for a Ducati, great power, great looks, wow, it would be hard to NOT consider this bike as an advanced rider bike! Love it in the Ducati Red too, amazing how good Ducati red looks... the Ducati black, meh. That's like getting a boring old color Ferrari, I wonder how many Ferrari's are sold NOT in red!?

Great bike, like what Ducati has done. But Blues did say it right, the seat, although I'd have to say the seat doesn't look that comfortable at all and I don't think there is much wiggle room on it either for the rider. :(

Mike