High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: How many crashes in how many years?

#11 Unread post by High_Side »

In 27 street years I have had only one crash - but it was a good one. The aged saddlebags that I was using in 1998 (likely had close to 100K Km on them) had a strap break and entered the rear wheel of my bike and it ceased to turn immediately. This wouldn't have been so bad had I not been doing 170km / hr and passing an 18 wheeler at the time (170km / hr with soft saddlebags? Yes - I had it coming).

The dirt bike years had a crash on just about every outing.....

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#12 Unread post by Gummiente »

High_Side wrote:The dirt bike years had a crash on just about every outing.....
Well, with a name like "High Side"...
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#13 Unread post by faded sun »

1 crash in my first year on the street, first month actually. Following too close and too fast, guy slowed and when I pulled left to pass turned left with no brakes or signal lights. None since then. Lots of defensive driving moments along the way though and prayers of thanks for the sharp brakes on a motorcycle. 32 years on the street.

In all those years only one cager has actually tried to hurt (or at least seriously scare ) me while riding.

A few falls while dirt biking, but those are sort of expected, neh?
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

faded sun wrote:1 crash in my first year on the street, first month actually. Following too close and too fast, guy slowed and when I pulled left to pass turned left with no brakes or signal lights. None since then. Lots of defensive driving moments along the way though and prayers of thanks for the sharp brakes on a motorcycle. 32 years on the street.

In all those years only one cager has actually tried to hurt (or at least seriously scare ) me while riding.

A few falls while dirt biking, but those are sort of expected, neh?
Good track record.

:)

a_hippie
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1985 1100 Shadow

#15 Unread post by a_hippie »

I had many crashes on dirt bikes and street bikes I was riding as if they were dirt bikes--poor kids ride what they can find! I crashed a few times jumping rivers/streams trying to show off. All before I turned into a teenager! All this was in the big wide open spaces of Montana.

After serving in the navy, I returned to an out-of-work world in the northwest. Finally decided to try my luck in California (Sacramento) and on day two, decided to ride down to employment office--the temps were hot so I took off my helmet since road speed was all 25MPH. A few blocks later a woman ran a red light and totalled me and my bike! That was 1985.

Since then, I take it easier. I don't ride without helmet or gear. I know my body ain't going to bounce back the way it did so many years ago! :)

Regards
Wishing you my best

1985 Honda Shadow VT-1100

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#16 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Hi a_hippie....your bike is in remarkably good condition for 1985. Did you restore it to look like new?

a_hippie
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 1985 1100 Shadow

#17 Unread post by a_hippie »

blues2cruise wrote:Hi a_hippie....your bike is in remarkably good condition for 1985. Did you restore it to look like new?
I took that picture shortly after I bought it in 2008. It now hows another 50,000 miles and 6 years of age. I wish it still looked so nice, but . . . :)

Regards,
Wishing you my best

1985 Honda Shadow VT-1100

Keyoke
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha TDM

#18 Unread post by Keyoke »

Had a couple on dirt when I first started (12/13 years old ish). Since riding on the road, 3 actual accidents - pleased to say none of them my fault (1 car turning directly in front of me, 1 stopping immediately ahead in the snow and the last one was a police car that hit me from behind while undertaking me in a bus lane (I was pulling over for him at the time).

Thankfully, nothing broken and still here to talk about it...
Don't give up.

Not now, not soon, not after being continually knocked down.

If you never give up, you can never truly fail.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/keyoke/Ultima-Dragon-Animated.gif[/img]

ddavitt
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2002 V Star Classic

#19 Unread post by ddavitt »

3 in 30 years ,
1. was entirely my fault , was daydreaming about how wonderful a day it was , and a turn I'd taken 1000 times snuck up on me , laid bike down and went between the steel posts , lucky me. Circa 1979

2. Little Old Lady pulled out in front of me on a mainstreet road , had to lay it down or eat bumper . Circa 1981

3. Car stopped dead cold on a frontage road in front of me . I was doing 60+ Ate some gravel , fully geared , bruised , lucky me July 2013 . Skid marks lasted 4 months as I still travel that road daily for work .

Riding dirt bikes , I had too many to count , mostly soft landings ,if you call thornbushes "Soft" :shock:

momule
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650

#20 Unread post by momule »

Crashing isn't mandatory and I don't believe that everyone always crashes eventually. I have over 40 years riding with no moving crashes. I have forgotten to put my foot down on occassion though....damn embarressing...but not a crash.
"ONE DAY AT A TIME"