View results

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

Re: This Week: 2014 Harley-Davidson XL1200T SuperLo - Vote T

#11 Unread post by montanalifter »

No its not water cooled have traction control or launch control but I still like it. Simple bike, price point is not too bad sub 9k. Bags to put your stuff for work or whatever in and the windshield will work for colder rides. Could give it an uncool for being the same old Harley but I love motorcycles so its cool.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

blues2cruise wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote: is designed for short people.
Not with a seat height of over 700 inches! :laughing:
:laughing: I missed that. I was reading the text not the specs.
Silly people... that's the legal stuff at the bottom of the specs that all begin with a footnote number (I didn't include it here as it looks messy, but here's the link: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... perLow.htm )

1Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2.
2Values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region.
3Standard and optional fuel systems may vary by country.
4See motorcycle owner's manual for complete details.
5Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.
6Prices listed are the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices. Options such as color are available at additional cost. Prices exclude dealer setup, taxes, title and licensing and are subject to change. Dealer prices may vary.
7Measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.
8North America security system includes immobilizer; outside North America the security system includes immobilizer and siren.
9Standard and optional wheels may vary by country and region.
:laughing:

Thus:

Seat Height, Laden 725.5 in.
Seat Height, Unladen 727.4 in.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#13 Unread post by blues2cruise »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote: is designed for short people.
Not with a seat height of over 700 inches! :laughing:
:laughing: I missed that. I was reading the text not the specs.
Silly people... that's the legal stuff at the bottom of the specs (I didn't include it here as it looks messy, but here you go: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... perLow.htm )

:laughing:

Thus:

Seat Height, Laden 725.5 in.
Seat Height, Unladen 727.4 in.

Mike
Regardless.....none of that adds up to having a seat height of over 700 inches....laden or not. :P

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

faded sun wrote:You can't beat the mileage on this one though - 551 mpg on a 1200! That takes you almost 2500 miles on a full tank of gas. Must be something to do with sitting 60 feet in the air as you ride.

Whoever wrote the specs on this bike was high or drunk or a Harley marketing department burnout. And whoever designed it is trying to sell a "safe" motorcycle, whatever that is, to people who don't ride.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#15 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I voted uncool, but it's more uninteresting than anything. Brakes are likely to be a fail though. Why would a bike that has some touring pretensions (ie, might occasionally be loaded with luggage and/or a pillion) be equipped with a single disk?

I'm more curious what everyone here might think of the revived Lowrider.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#16 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Oh, I dunno...

I've gotta say, we almost had something special here. Clear away all the chaff, and what we're essentially looking at is a midweight cruiser outfitted for touring for under 10k. In fact, what we're looking at is exactly the sort of bike Carrie and I are looking to upgrade to, at least on paper.

But, then we get this 'designed for riders 5'1'' - 5'7'', lighter, nimble, yadda yadda'. Com'n H-D, come out and say it. "Ladies, are you sick of spending mile after mile staring at the back of your man's head from the pillion of his GeezerGlide? Come on down to your local Harley dealership today and buy your own LadyGlide!" Am I right? A shame, really.

It's also H-Dugly and screams 'parts bin'. This isn't a new bike, it's just bits and pieces shuffled together to form a new pattern. If only they did this from the ground up, stirred in a bit of that Fat Bob flavor and added that brand-new water cooling technology I've been hearing about on the radio, they could start a revolution.

Of course, then it'd be 25k. Whatcha gonna do?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:I voted uncool, but it's more uninteresting than anything. Brakes are likely to be a fail though. Why would a bike that has some touring pretensions (ie, might occasionally be loaded with luggage and/or a pillion) be equipped with a single disk?

I'm more curious what everyone here might think of the revived Lowrider.
Great idea, I'll also have the Lowrider up on the Cool Wall later this year. But for now, please just stick to discussing this bike (mostly). :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Mithrandir
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#18 Unread post by Mithrandir »

The MC has decent looks, but it does not seem right for me.

It does have some impressive specs:

Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy 551 mpg -- I'll be ready when fuel is £10/L

Engine Torque 253.8 ft-lb -- real stump pulling power from a 53.9 cu. in. engine

Seat Height, Laden 725.5 in. Too tall for me. I do not think this MC was made for shorter people like me. I think this is designed for your typical Jolly Green Giant. :mrgreen:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

After a week of thinking about the new Superlow I give it an: Uncool.

While I'm happy Harley-Davidson is bringing out even more models and more choice is ALWAYS a good thing. Even if I don't like the new options some else will and in turn it helps to get more people into riding because of the variety. But back to the SuperLo... I'm really happy to see another Sportster come out with the 1200cc engine, I was unsure what H-D was doing with the 1200 as the 1200 models were starting to disappear from the line up. But I'm saddened to see the new 1200 be just another "parts-bin" special that's just slightly different by adding something you could have had (in some form already) before.

The new bike's seat height is a little disconcerting as it doesn't seem directly targeted to women* (* women generally have shorter inseams then men)... I'm thinking it's actually an "oversea's bike*" that's available in the USA as H-D seems to be trying a diversified sales direction away from North America. * Japan, China, India.

Now, in general I'm getting a little concerned about the Harley-Davidson, they have some great models and a really distinct style, but what I'm concerned about is how slow they are moving to introduce something more unique to the market. The Street500/750 is a great start but what about the V-Rod engine in something else? What about all that Buell technology? What about liquid cooling in all their bikes? What about introducing some bikes with a much more modern naked style?

Lots of questions but little answers so far.

Mike

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14

#20 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I am going with Cool. It's a "cute little Harley" that is compact and clean looking. Of course it isn't refined with the best technology (it is H-D, after all) and sure it's super low to the ground for short riders (which I ain't) but overall I think it's alright for the right market.

(Mike... you may want to edit the specs so the footnote numbers don't give your community such misleading information such as 700+ inch seat height!!!)
Andrea :sun: