SUPERSTITIONS

cmartiny
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

SUPERSTITIONS

#1 Unread post by cmartiny »

After completing our MSF course, my wife & I saw a gremlin bell on a classmates bike. We started talking and were wondering if there are any other superstitions held by fellow riders.

I did some on-line searches and found a few things;

1. Any bike with the color green?? (I bet a few Ninja riders never heard of this one .. LOL)

2. Some rides carry their "mojo bag" with them whenever they ride, altho it never says what is in the bag.

3. Gremlin bells. The biggest question I have about the bell is, If there are NOT any other riders in your area, just how are you supposed to get the bell because it HAS to be given to you, you cannot just go and buy one. (Although www.gremlinbells.com says that you can BUT IT DOUBLES THE MAGICAL POWER IF IT'S GIVEN.).

So, are there any other superstitions that I have not heard about yet?

ShadowGrrl
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by ShadowGrrl »

3. Gremlin bells. The biggest question I have about the bell is, If there are NOT any other riders in your area, just how are you supposed to get the bell because it HAS to be given to you, you cannot just go and buy one. (Although www.gremlinbells.com says that you can BUT IT DOUBLES THE MAGICAL POWER IF IT'S GIVEN.).
Maybe you could hint about wanting one for your birthday or other special occasion, and maybe someone with buy you one. (worked for me! :D )

I haven't heard any other superstitions other than the one you've already mentioned, but I do have a superstition of my own (more like a "ritual" of sorts). When I go through my TCLOCS inspection before every ride, I walk to each "corner" of the bike and put out a focused intention of a "safety bubble" around me and the bike. It sounds wierd, but I do it mainly so that I make every effort be visible and ride defensively. :)
Restita
"Rusty"

"Are we there yet??"

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

What about green?
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Sev wrote:What about green?
Kwacker disease.....your bike turns green and then the bottom end fall out....... :laughing:
Always ask why.

RideYourRide
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by RideYourRide »

None.

When it is your time to eat "poo poo", no number of bells and other stupidity is going to avert it.
[img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1189/newsig2al8.jpg[/img]
98 VFR, 07 200 XC-W, 86 RM125, 88 VTR250 project bike
motorcycle vlogs: http://livevideo.com/rideyourride

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: SUPERSTITIONS

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

The wind is changing, we've had a sudden rush of new members and yesterday I found a hornet sunning itself and trying to stretch it's wings in my carport yesterday. So in my neck of the woods at least, the 2014 season is beginning and I thought, what better way to kick it off than to resurrect a thread from SEVEN YEARS AGO! (-:

Originally I was just going to ask if anyone else rides with a bell, but first I searched to make sure the topic hadn't been covered already. Other than maybe a dozen posts, the Gremlin Bell tradition hasn't been talked about much here on TMW, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

So what are your thoughts on "The Gremlin Bell"?

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#7 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Did the 'Get Back Whip' rise to popularity since this thread started?

Does it replace or supplement the Gremlin Bell?

Are there any statistics showing crash histories with/without bell?

I agree with throwing the tradition out. :D
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

Best good luck charm to prevent accidents or getting blown off the saddle by someone else is to follow the old pre-mission tradition Lanc crews performed prior to paying their nightly visit to Germany, and that was to pee on the tail wheel of the landing gear. We should all pee on our rear tyres each time we head out and yes I know for our lovely lady riders here, that might require a bit of gymnastic and be slightly awkward but better safe than sorry.

Well, if you gonna have a traditional good luck superstition, may as be one that serves multiple purposes. :D
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

JackoftheGreen wrote:So what are your thoughts on "The Gremlin Bell"?
To me it's always been a "cruiser thing". The people I ride with are mostly into sport tourers, adventure tourers, etc. Except for my step-kids, who both ride Harleys (where did I go wrong? :roll: :mrgreen: ), I don't know anybody who has a gremlin bell.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom