dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: The Blog of Blues

#1391 Unread post by dr_bar »

There may even be a Scott oiler that fits that bike...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#1392 Unread post by sv-wolf »

blues2cruise wrote:
Also regarding chain maintenance...unless I've been riding in the rain....it most likely won't need any maintenance from me...it will get maintained every time I take it in for service.

Hi blues. I developed an angels and demons thing when I read that. Should I put my two-pennworth in on this one or not?

Not sure what you mean by 'chain maintenance', but personally, I make sure chains are lightly oiled or greased at least once a week and cleaned once every couple of months whatever the weather. I also oil them before any long trip. In my experience, even without rain, condensation can develop overnight and, over time, lead to chain corrosion and tight spots. If you keep a chain oiled and are reasonably smooth on the throttle and clutch, then chain stretch will be minimal and you won't be making so many wheel adjustments or paying others to make them for you.

I've never got on with Scottoilers, but those that have reckon they do great things to keep your chain in good order.

OK, I'm the laziest bike owner in the known universe, but oiling is a two-minute job and I've found that minimal maintenace of this sort definitely pays off. I prefer chains, but they are a truly nutty invention. What crazy engineer came up with the idea of a mechanical device that has hundreds of moving parts, every one of which is exposed to dust, dirt, sand, salt and water in northern latitudes?
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#1393 Unread post by blues2cruise »

SV....all input regarding something new to me is welcome.

By chain maintenance I was referring to the possible stretching of the chain. The fellow at the shop said it's likely I'll never have to adjust it....he showed me how anyway...

When I was riding my bicycle daily....I kept the chain clean....it got dry and gummy from riding on trails and in the rain....

BTW....what do you use to clean the chain? I assume I should clean it before applying more oil.

sv-wolf

#1394 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Last edited by sv-wolf on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

sv-wolf

#1395 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I never used to look after my chains properly, and they used to stretch quite a lot. But since starting to care for them, they haven't stretched much at all. Having said that, my SV used to stretch its chain more than the other bikes I have had. I'm not sure why. I used to ride it in the same way; maybe it was because it had a torquey engine. I don't get the impression you are the wheelying type, blues ( :-) ) so I doubt you will get much stretch from harsh use.

I use a proprietary chain cleaner that's available here in the UK. It's called Muc-off. I'm not sure whether it's available in Canada, but there is bound to be something similar. I'm sure there are plenty of Canuckers on the boards who could advise you. I've also got a mechanical cleaning device that I use with it. I only bought it about six months ago. It just clips onto the chain when you want to clean it. It is a natty little thing, dead cheap to buy (I think it cost me about £18) and easy to use. It saves a lot of time and muckyness and effort. Before that I just used a rag.

But no, I don't clean my chain every time before I oil it. I probably should, but as I said, I'm lazy.

The trick in oiling a chain is to do it an hour or so at least before you ride or while the bike is standing idle. That gives time for the foam to disappear and for the oil to work in. It's also a good idea to oil it lightly. If you use too much, it just gets flung off where you don't want it or it tends to gunge up around the drive sprocket. A tip a mechanic once gave me - and this seems to work very well - is not to oil the whole width of the chain, just the linkages on the farthest side from you as you face it. Apparently there is a tendency for the oil to get thrown outwards from the bike when being ridden, so it will drift over to the near side as you ride. That helps you to keep from over-oiling it.

If you have a centre stand, oiling is easy. If you haven't, you have the option of using a paddock stand. I know some people who do this but it seems a bit too much like hard work to me. I just do it on the street outside the house, rolling the bike back a few feet at a time to expose a new lower length of chain. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise

#1396 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks for the info. The particular bike I'm looking at...If I decide to get it...will have a centre stand.

aw58
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#1397 Unread post by aw58 »

Good luck in choosing a new motorcycle in 2015. My VN has become a long term project and likewise 2015 will be a search for something newer to ride.
Ade
If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

blues2cruise

#1398 Unread post by blues2cruise »

[quote="aw58"]Good luck in choosing a new motorcycle in 2015.

Thank you.

My VN has become a long term project .
Ade

That's from riding in the snow. :mrgreen:
I think I recall reading about your commutes in all kinds of crummy weather.

likewise 2015 will be a search for something newer to ride

Any ideas what you want?

aw58
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#1399 Unread post by aw58 »

UK weather can be pretty dire. Although since the VN has been off the road it has been drier.

I have one prerequisite - AIR COOLED.

Ade
If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

blues2cruise

#1400 Unread post by blues2cruise »

In a couple of days...Dec.24th actually..... I am heading to the Okanagan for Christmas at my brother's place. Due to the fact that as soon as I leave the lower mainland I will get into actual winter weather and have to drive through the mountains...I got my car ready.

4 winter tires. (It has 4 wheel drive if needed) and chains. At the moment the roads are ok with just the winter tires...but going through the mountains can be unpredictable....

So...today....I opened the box with the chains and installed one to make sure that they fit....and that I could actually do it.

Happy to say I succeeded. I reckon that if I do have to stop and put chains on the tires, it will take me about half an hour.

I think it took me almost as long to put the chains back in the box as it took me to put the chains on the tires. :lol:

Of course, as I was putting everything away....and after I got my hands all dirty....I discovered that were plastic gloves included in the box. :roll:

My niece just had a new baby....so it will be awesome to get to meet him, too.

Bring on the winter..... me and my big boots are ready. :)