To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#81 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just some quick "Before" pics of the bathroom remodel, which officially began last weekend. The last pic in the series shows the exhaust fan ducting, which I completed Monday afternoon...
IMAG0340.jpg
IMAG0342.jpg
IMAG0343.jpg
More to come, busy busy days...

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#82 Unread post by Hanson »

I have been in the middle of a bathroom remodel for .... over three years. I hate you so much right now Jack of the Green.

All would have been fine except we had to replace our ancient AC / Heater unit and that destroyed our remodelling budget. Since then, the issue has been primarily terminal procrastination and I keep finding new and creative ways of spending money on my motorcycle. We did, however, get some wiring done last month for the pump on the new tub and new fixtures.

Best of luck on your project.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

JackoftheGreen

#83 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

LoL, more hate-bait...

Finished the framing this weekend and started hanging drywall. The wet wall needs some shimming on the frame members before the drywall will sit flush though, and there was only one sheet of greenboard in the house when we moved in. So this was all I could get done with the materials on hand. Off to Lowe's tomorrow though for some firring and more greenboard, and then more to come.
IMAG0344.jpg
IMAG0345.jpg
IMAG0346.jpg
I've got to get as much done as I can before Christmas, LoL, because starting the morning of the 29th I've got 175 linear feet of chain link to install in the backyard. I'm hoping like hell I won't have to shovel my grass to lay in the posts. Wish me luck!

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#84 Unread post by Hanson »

Luck

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#85 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Good luck. :D

JackoftheGreen

#86 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

These long silences are just part of my mystique, right? (-:

So the basement remodel suffered a fortunate setback. During the time that I made the above posts, we were experiencing some fairly wet weather with continual light rain or powdery snow fall, and because of that it wasn't a good time to be hauling sheet rock on our flat bed. Not being able to bring the sheet rock home meant that we didn't buy any of the other material we'd planned to buy, namely the vanity and toilet and water fixtures to finish out the bathroom, and that ended up being a blessing.

About mid-January our second vehicle, Carrie's Neon, developed a severe oil leak. We went a couple of weeks not driving it while debating how best to proceed, but in the end decided it would be foolish to pay $600-$1,000 to repair a vehicle that only books at about $2,500. And sha-bang, what would have been a remodeled bathroom and basement turned into down payment money for a Mazda6. Basement projets will continue, but at a slower pace than anticipated.

This winter has been unnaturally warm, and by that I mean I live in Northern Utah and it's almost March and I've only had to shovel my driveway twice. This isn't peculiar weather, it's downright alarmingly foreign weather. I'm genuinely concerned about my communities ability to sustain itself through the summer -- we're only at an 80% snowpack in the higher elevations and we've been in low level drought conditions for a couple years already. I've often mused about replacing my grass lawn with clover, which requires about 1/5th the water to stay green -- I think that may become a necessity this year if I want anything approaching a healthy lawn.

Lastly, breeding birds is shaping up to be a lot more profitable than we expected, and I think we may increase our investment in the endeavor. We'll see how that goes.

That's all the updates I have for now, I'll try to get in here more regularly.

JackoftheGreen

#87 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just another quick update.

It's quickly turning into summer, and the first ride of the season will be very soon. Not sure where to yet, but we'll line it up.

We are taking a family vacation to Tombstone next week though. While we're there we're also going to spend the day in Sierra Vista, where I lived as a kid. We'll get some pictures of that for sure.

That's all for now.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#88 Unread post by Hanson »

Thanks for the update Jack and have a great summer riding season.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#89 Unread post by ceemes »

JackoftheGreen wrote:These long silences are just part of my mystique, right? (-:

So the basement remodel suffered a fortunate setback. During the time that I made the above posts, we were experiencing some fairly wet weather with continual light rain or powdery snow fall, and because of that it wasn't a good time to be hauling sheet rock on our flat bed. Not being able to bring the sheet rock home meant that we didn't buy any of the other material we'd planned to buy, namely the vanity and toilet and water fixtures to finish out the bathroom, and that ended up being a blessing.

About mid-January our second vehicle, Carrie's Neon, developed a severe oil leak. We went a couple of weeks not driving it while debating how best to proceed, but in the end decided it would be foolish to pay $600-$1,000 to repair a vehicle that only books at about $2,500. And sha-bang, what would have been a remodeled bathroom and basement turned into down payment money for a Mazda6. Basement projets will continue, but at a slower pace than anticipated.

This winter has been unnaturally warm, and by that I mean I live in Northern Utah and it's almost March and I've only had to shovel my driveway twice. This isn't peculiar weather, it's downright alarmingly foreign weather. I'm genuinely concerned about my communities ability to sustain itself through the summer -- we're only at an 80% snowpack in the higher elevations and we've been in low level drought conditions for a couple years already. I've often mused about replacing my grass lawn with clover, which requires about 1/5th the water to stay green -- I think that may become a necessity this year if I want anything approaching a healthy lawn.

Lastly, breeding birds is shaping up to be a lot more profitable than we expected, and I think we may increase our investment in the endeavor. We'll see how that goes.

That's all the updates I have for now, I'll try to get in here more regularly.

Oh dear, sounds like you caught Hanson disease, a case of bathroom renno pracastitous... be careful, it could be fatal if she who must be obeyed doesn't get her new powder room in a timely manner, no matter what the cause of the delay is.

As for the weather, our local snow pack is zero this year, and I do mean zero. I figure we will either be deluged by endless rains come the spring and summer or will have a major drought. To be honest, I think I'd prefer the rains, at least it will give the Fraser and other Salmon rivers a chance not to heat up a couple of degree's C above normal.....if that happens, then all the salmon runs are at risk as the fish can't handle even that little of a temperature increase in the rivers.
Always ask why.

JackoftheGreen

#90 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Still alive...

Some news coming when there's more time. :-)