JM0111
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 05/Honda/Shadow

Re: Helmet Fit Guidelines...

#31 Unread post by JM0111 »

i have not went through and read all of the post on this topic, but i have recently started to ride, the one big thing i have noticed with the helmet, mine is a sliver to big and wind gets trapped under ther helmet and puts pressure on it, more annoying than anything but as a new rider we dont need anymore distractions. I of Course am buying a new helmet and checking them all out for i dont want this same problem again, just figured i would share.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#32 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

JM0111 wrote:i have not went through and read all of the post on this topic, but i have recently started to ride, the one big thing i have noticed with the helmet, mine is a sliver to big and wind gets trapped under ther helmet and puts pressure on it, more annoying than anything but as a new rider we dont need anymore distractions. I of Course am buying a new helmet and checking them all out for i dont want this same problem again, just figured i would share.
I just went through this thread and pared off the redundant and "fluff" posts. I left the additional queries, "when to replace" "what size to have for passengers" "where to buy" etc.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

pender1
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: none

#33 Unread post by pender1 »

Just curious if there are any brands that should be avoided. Every industry has "that" brand that no one should buy but people still do. Would be good info for us new guys. I'm shopping for my first helmet now, so any info is good info.

Anant
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Pulsar (2012 / Bajaj / 150 Dtsi)

#34 Unread post by Anant »

Your guidelines are very helpful. A proper fitting motorcycle helmet can significantly reduce the risk of serious injury or death resulting from a head impact during an accident. When you buy helmet then follow some Guidelines :
1. GET MEASURED
2. TRY IT ON
3. CHECK THE FIT
4. WILL IT STAY ON?

Lion_Lady

#35 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

pender1 wrote:Just curious if there are any brands that should be avoided. Every industry has "that" brand that no one should buy but people still do. Would be good info for us new guys. I'm shopping for my first helmet now, so any info is good info.
"That" brand wouldn't be in business for long, or they're in it for fast cash with no ethics.

Buy a recognized brand of helmet. The "big names" (Arai, Shoei, HJC, Scorpion, etc. etc.), have their reputations to uphold. They are in the business of making/selling safety equipment and aren't going to sell a product that could fail. Keep that in mind.

In the US it is up to the manufacturer to meet the safety standard set by the DOT. The DOT only has a budget to test 40 helmets per year. If you buy "Joe's helmet" and it fails in a crash, resulting in your death/disability, chances are that Joe's Helmet Manufacturing Company will have closed shop. Leaving you holding the bag.

bryan20
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki 2002 zrx1200

#36 Unread post by bryan20 »

Thanks for the heads up!I'll be using the fullface/half helmet illustration you've provided since im planning buying. So uhm, wanted to ask what brands should i look for that are considered the most reliable and trustworthy?
:starwars:

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#37 Unread post by Johnj »

Arai, Bell, HJC, Shoei, Scorpion
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Lion_Lady

#38 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

bryan20 wrote:Thanks for the heads up!I'll be using the fullface/half helmet illustration you've provided since im planning buying. So uhm, wanted to ask what brands should i look for that are considered the most reliable and trustworthy?
:starwars:
The brand that fits you (and that you've heard of/seen ads for in magazines, etc.) - Arai, Bell, HJC, KBC, Nolan, Suomy, Shoei, Shark, Scorpion, Schuberth - I've probably missed a couple, but these are the "biggies."

P

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#39 Unread post by Jamers! »

Thank you Pam! Read this today before i went out and tried on different lids and it was nice to have something to reference beyond what the salesmen were saying!!

Got a good fit and am sitting here with it on my head and a goofy smile on. Good thing nobody can see!!
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

Kage909
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1999 Kawasaki en500 vulcan

#40 Unread post by Kage909 »

This is an excellent and very well organized guide :thumbsup:
I got my full face helm from rev-zilla. I sized up with a measurement tape and I fit between the sm and med. (closer to the med) So I got the medium. It is full faced DOT, and SNELL 2015 approved. brand new not no used junk :pinch: As far as storing it I keep it in my room its 65ish during winter 75ish during summer. Are those good storage conditions?
It was a scorpion helm here is a link

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scor ... sin-helmet.