frankieq
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: Suzuki sv 650

Yamaha xsr900 vs Suzuki Sv650

#1 Unread post by frankieq »

Ok so let me start off by saying at this current time I haven't owned a bike in 3 years since moving to NY, and I've been wanting to get back in the saddle again for some time now. I owned 2006 Suzuki SV650 for 4 years and loved the bike it was my first and i truly enjoyed riding it on those beautiful roads in Arizona, unfortunately i was forced to sell it to pay for rent when i came into some rough times. That being said I've been looking for something like the SV650 but newer and possibly more powerful, when i started looking i fell in love with the look of the xsr900 which has that same naked look. I know the XSR has the same engine as the fz09 which has tons of torque the XSR seems like an awesome bike although it comes in at $9500. Since I'm living under a rock on my military base right now i just found out about the recently released 2017 SV650 and all those feelings of my old bike came back with the original look the bike used to have with more tech, and that amazing Vtwin engine all coming in just under $7000. Since this is my first new bike and i really do love the look and over all power of the xsr but have a hard time looking past that reassuring fun that you get with the SV. I was hoping some of you all would just give me your opinion on the matter i know my riding skills were on the level to handle the xsr but i can't just get over that sv so easily so any input or a dive would be great thanks!

PS I have a deposit down on a XSR back home but said its no big deal to pull out and get my money back.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Yamaha xsr900 vs Suzuki Sv650

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

If you think the SV will satisfy you, buy it, and you'll have $2,500 more in your pocket than if you bought the XSR. That's $2,500 you could put towards gear, or farkles, or just save up towards a trip, or towards maintenance expenses (they are inevitable).
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

jstark47 wrote: That's $2,500 you could put towards gear, or farkles, or just save up towards a trip, or towards maintenance expenses (they are inevitable).
Or wings and beer.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

frankieq
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: Suzuki sv 650

#4 Unread post by frankieq »

Yea thats what i was thinking there are several things i wanted to do with both of the bikes either way so this would allow me to allocate my money a little smarter. I was always having fun on that bike and think it will be the same this time around I've actually already called the dealer to let him know about the interest in SV. Thanks for the help i honestly just wanted to make sure i was thinking competently enough to make the right decision thanks again jstark47 and trust me I'm on the same page as you with the beer and wings gummlente! lol safe riding