You may select 1 option

View results

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: This Week: 2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Sweet although I'd be worried that someone could lay siege to my factory castle.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Awesome, but so, so overpriced. I hope up close, there's lots of evidence of fantastic build quality and high end parts, but if there isn't, I can't imagine why you'd get one of these over a Triumph Thruxton that's cheaper, has more power and torque, plus all sorts of doodads; ABS, traction control, etc.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

As I mature in age, I am coming to the realization that it isn't top speed* I'm looking for anymore but sound, fun factor and character. Looking back, this is definitely one of main reasons I absolutely love my Guzzi. But before my Guzzi, I wouldn't be able to foretell this at all as I loved big engine, high-horsepower, inline-4 naked bikes. Big, brutal and ballsy. In fact, I still LOVE the idea of that "Big, brutal and ballsy" but can I get it with sound and character too?

The Norton, to me, it the evolution of character, sound, class, quality, style, heavy torque and ballsyness (yes, I just made that word up) I wish every manufacturer offered up in their product lines... and many do, but not exactly the way Norton does. While it is true, Triumph (or BSA if it is ever resurrected) is the direct country competitor to Norton, there is something missing with the sound of the Triumph.. it is just so... sewing machine and while I DO drool over a Bonnie or the Thruxton, the muted, undescriptive sound just bothers me because I know, Triumph could do so much better.

That brings in the Norton, wow. If you haven't heard one running, treat your ears to this:

Now, that may or may not sound like the bees-knees to you, and that's fine, but it might stir the heart up a few beats and temporarily make you forget about the price tag... and, ah, that's the real rub, isn't it or we might all be seeing more Norton's. $22,000k isn't cheap and my $10k Guzzi, while not a Norton, offers much of the same feeling, character, quality and style... so I'd love to see a BASIC Norton at no more than say, $15k.

BTW - Love the detailed comments this week (so far) here at the Cool Wall... WELL DONE!

Mike

* Note that I am an acceleration freak though...lol.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII - Coolness Factor = 79.8%
Featured: September 9th - September 16th, 2016
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53597
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... t-MKII.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII is:

Awesome (3 points) 61% 61% [ 17 ]
Cool (2 points) 29% 29% [ 8 ]
Uncool (1 point) 0% 0% [ 0 ]
Fail (0 point) 11% 11% [ 3 ]

Total votes: 28

= a Coolwall Factor of 79.8%

Notes: Character, style, class... at a price. What's that worth to you? The new 2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII impressed our readers, they loved artsy clean retro style, take-no-prisoners specs, heritage, high quality build and top notch parts. What's not to love? Well, that's the fact it's x2 the cost of the more common Triumph and the smallness of the Norton company brings risk is ownership. In the end, the same question remains, Character, style, class... at a price. What's that worth to you?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.