What was your first bike and how did you come to own it?

Bdub
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer

Re: What was your first bike and how did you come to own it?

#11 Unread post by Bdub »

My first was an 09 V-Star 650 Silverado. I started riding at 52 after retiring from the US Air Force.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#12 Unread post by Gummiente »

I was a young soldier stationed in Montreal in 1982, my best friend had an '80 Honda CB650 and we'd ride a lot with me on the back. I'd always been interested in bikes since I was a kid, but my Mom had always shut down any and all attempts to get my own. My friend got a little annoyed at having to take me along every time he wanted to go riding, so I asked if I could borrow his to learn how to ride. He gave me a basic lesson and away I went. Took to it like a duck to water, but only rode on the Base because I didn't have a licence. One day I asked to borrow his bike and he snapped at me "Why don't you get your own #&%@* bike!!" Good point.

So I had him take me to all the bike shops in Montreal one Saturday and we ended up at the Honda dealer. They had a lovely, plain jane, brown '82 CB650 with spoked wheels that I was drooling over, but the salesman steered me towards a better deal in a leftover new '81 CX500 Custom. As I didn't have a licence yet, we went to the local vehicle licencing office and got a trip permit, which was good for one trip only. My friend told the licencing agent that he would ride the bike back to the Base for me. We went back to the dealer, taped the paper permit to the licence plate holder and then, as the dealer never did ask to see my licence, I hopped on and rode it home with my buddy following behind me.

I was hooked. Problem was, I still had an Ontario driver's licence with no motorcycle validation, so any time I took the bike out I was a rolling violation. But the guys at the barracks had a cure for that; we laminated the trip permit so it wouldn't be damaged by the weather and then any time I wanted to ride we would all go out together (there were 15 of us with bikes) and I'd be buried in the middle of the pack so as not to bring attention to myself. Rode that way for three months until I went back to Ontario one weekend and got my motorcycle learner's permit. Which was not valid in Quebec, of course. Rode another three months like that until I got a ticket for running a red light in Valcartier. Well, it would have been a ticket, but the cop didn't speak English and I pretended not to understand French, so I got off with a warning (as translated to me through his Dispatch). I figured that was a sign to get my licence and plate, so that weekend I went back to Ontario (on the Quebec expired trip permit) and did the road test. I passed, got my licence plate and then went for a celebration ride.

Fifteen minutes later I had my first speeding ticket. Dammit. But at least I was FINALLY legal when it happened... I would have been deep in the hole otherwise. Lesson learned, finally.

I've never been without a bike since. That was 34yrs ago.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#13 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I was in Submarine School after having finished a year of US Naval Nuclear Power training. With completion of nuke school there was a bonus that was enough to pay for my Suzuki GS425.

Sub School was in New London Connecticut during the summer and was a great place to learn to ride by following the many one-lane paved roads all over the countryside. Right sized bike, great environment on a learner's permit.

The seeds were the Honda Cub 50 my father brought back on the aircraft carrier from a Westpac deployment. I rode on the back as we explored San Diego. (sold when I got big enough to likely be able to ride and start it on my own). Then the parts bin mini-bike of scavenged lawnmower motor and v-belt pulleys and chains and sprockets on a Rupp frame bought 2nd hand with all the real parts stripped. That one was used for droning round and round and round the small suburban backyard.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#14 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

Went to the MSF class, bought a Qlink Commuter 250 (Helix) off Craigslist.

Slow Ride
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha Seca 750

#15 Unread post by Slow Ride »

I was an electronics technician in the US Navy back in 1971. I was in an A-6 Intruder squadron stationed at Whidbey Island , WA. Our squadron was deployed to Viet Nam onboard the aircraft carrier USS CONSTELLATION CVA-64 for a 13 month cruise. On the way back to the states we stopped in Yokasuka, Japan. There I bought a brand new gold 1971 Honda CB350 in the crate for $635.00. I was single at the time. We arrived at Whidbey Early June, I put that bike together using the Japanese manual. I rode the wheels off that little Honda and I had alot of different girls wanting to ride along. In 1971 a 350cc was a respectable size for a motorcycle. There were no 900, 1200, 1500, 2000 cc. Honda was just releasing the first 750s which were HUGE mills.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#16 Unread post by faded sun »

Slow Ride wrote:I was an electronics technician in the US Navy back in 1971. I was in an A-6 Intruder squadron stationed at Whidbey Island , WA. Our squadron was deployed to Viet Nam onboard the aircraft carrier USS CONSTELLATION CVA-64 for a 13 month cruise. On the way back to the states we stopped in Yokasuka, Japan. There I bought a brand new gold 1971 Honda CB350 in the crate for $635.00. I was single at the time. We arrived at Whidbey Early June, I put that bike together using the Japanese manual. I rode the wheels off that little Honda and I had alot of different girls wanting to ride along. In 1971 a 350cc was a respectable size for a motorcycle. There were no 900, 1200, 1500, 2000 cc. Honda was just releasing the first 750s which were HUGE mills.
NICE! Out of the crate!

My first street ride was a CB 350. Was definitely a big bike in those days.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#17 Unread post by NorthernPete »

My first actual bike was a 1972 Yamaha rd350 that I bought at a garage sale for 350 bucks in the summer of 1998. It was nice bright orange on one side and the side that had been sitting toward the window in the garage for the past 20 some odd years had faded to a pale orange like white. Lol. Hid it at my buddies garage for the remainder of the summer since my parents had told me I couldn't have a bike. Wrote my m1 test which was valid for 90 days. After 30 days I got back to school and brought the bike to a garage for a safety and plates. Was told it needed a few things and to come back in 2 weeks. 2 months later I went to get the bike as the next day was when my lisence would expire and I needed to do a parking lot test to get the m2 level. And since I had never rode a bike I thought perhaps I should give it a whirl beforehand. The garage informed me that parts for the bike were on back order but they would certify it for me anyway.

Rode for 2 hours in freezing rain, stalling and cursing. Then said "well, if I pass I pass" next day broke the key off in the frozen ignition, drove to the end of the driveway after fixing that, it backfired, stalled and never started again.
Sold it for 100 bucks. Lol

Eventually got a 1982 Yamaha seca 400 that I got running a few years later and it became my road bike for a bit

I seem to have an affinity for older yamahas. Lol
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Thejeepdoctor
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 86 Suzuki Cavalcade

#18 Unread post by Thejeepdoctor »

My first bike was a 75 Yamaha dt175. Rode its wheels off. I did own a 75 RD250, it had abt 2500k on it. I put a 350 top end on it at 18k. Put expansion chambers and fiberglass reeds in it. Mildly ported, K&N filters. Was wicked fast. I was reading in a post minutes ago abt if this would be a good first bike. I would say NO. These bike just want to wheelie. My kid is now grown, so I bought an 86 Suzuki Cavalcade LX. Cruiser, the thing is a beast. Loaded, cruise control (like a car) rear shocks are air ride, seats inflate, stereo, and other goodies. I've installed led bulbs throughout it. If any of you have a bike that you can install led head lamp bulb, do it. It took that little yellow patch of light, and lit up the night. Opt7 is the way to go. Was scared to ride at night(night vision isn't great anymore) and took all the fear away. Money well spent. These bulbs don't have any dark spots in them. Leds in dash, makes it crystal white. Well it's bed time, so good night to all, and ride safe.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#19 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thejeepdoctor.....Welcome to TMW. :)

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#20 Unread post by Scott58 »

58 triumph tigercub 200. found it laying on the side of a barn with grass growing up through it for $25. Cleaned the plug, aired up the tires, put some gas in it and it fired right up. Rode it for 2 years before I went into the service in 1976.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50