Ass-umptions are a dangerous thing..

Kaige
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Ass-umptions are a dangerous thing..

#1 Unread post by Kaige »

Anyone ever get a rude or amusing assumption about your bike or your riding? While in a Honda dealership the other day looking at gear, the guys that ran the register kept following me around and looking at me funny. I was looking at saddle bags and just kind of ignored the blatent "Girl? Bike? Surely you jest" stare. :roll:

Then finally one of the guys came up to me and said "Can I help you? Are you looking for a gift for your boyfriend" I was flabbergasted and replied "No. I don't have a boyfriend. I bought the bike instead and I think I made out on the deal. Thanks anyway" :biker:

He just stared at me like an ape with fire, then lumbered away. I have to admit, I kinda like giving people the slack jawed expression. It gave me a good chuckle the whole way home.
:wink:

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by Wizzard »

Right on Sister........... :wink:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

I usually don't have any problems, and the guy that you encountered would have really infuriated me. If it had been me, I would have talked with the sales manager and explained that they lost a sale on (most likely) expensive bags because of the salesman's rudeness.

The only blip I've had was... I went to the service department to try and get help figuring out why my bike had gone through (IMO) too much oil lately. My bike was parked outside, and the guy just starts goin', well, you know, these smaller engines do run hotter, and smaller engines this and smaller engines that... I just stand there, giggling inside because he has no idea what a fool he's making of himself with his assumptions. Finally he asks, "what kind of bike is it?" When I tell him, all he can say is "OH!" That kind of stuff is funny to me - I find the reactions of others quite amusing sometimes.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Kaige
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Kaige »

Loonette wrote:I usually don't have any problems, and the guy that you encountered would have really infuriated me. If it had been me, I would have talked with the sales manager and explained that they lost a sale on (most likely) expensive bags because of the salesman's rudeness.

The only blip I've had was... I went to the service department to try and get help figuring out why my bike had gone through (IMO) too much oil lately. My bike was parked outside, and the guy just starts goin', well, you know, these smaller engines do run hotter, and smaller engines this and smaller engines that... I just stand there, giggling inside because he has no idea what a fool he's making of himself with his assumptions. Finally he asks, "what kind of bike is it?" When I tell him, all he can say is "OH!" That kind of stuff is funny to me - I find the reactions of others quite amusing sometimes.

Cheers,
Loonette
Yes because obviously you're on a 250cc Rebel right? You're a girl after all...

Sheesh. Not that there is anything wrong with Rebels if it fits you and your lifestyle..but assumptions suck.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#5 Unread post by ZooTech »

Loonette wrote:I went to the service department to try and get help figuring out why my bike had gone through (IMO) too much oil lately.
Ya know, I've been pondering this ever since you told me about it. What occurred to me was that I am running Mobil-1 10w40 synthetic, and Scan told me you were using petroleum-based oil (I'm assuming Kawasaki's home-grown brew). Mine only used about half a quart after 5500 miles of use, versus however much it was yours had used (please excuse my short-term memory). If your bike checks out okay, perhaps that is the difference. Synthetic is supposed to run cooler and be more resistant to burn-off.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Kaige, thing are about the same here, too. It took a lot of looking and shopping around to find a bike store that treats women with respect.

Loonette

#7 Unread post by Loonette »

ZooTech wrote:
Loonette wrote:I went to the service department to try and get help figuring out why my bike had gone through (IMO) too much oil lately.
Ya know, I've been pondering this ever since you told me about it. What occurred to me was that I am running Mobil-1 10w40 synthetic, and Scan told me you were using petroleum-based oil (I'm assuming Kawasaki's home-grown brew). Mine only used about half a quart after 5500 miles of use, versus however much it was yours had used (please excuse my short-term memory). If your bike checks out okay, perhaps that is the difference. Synthetic is supposed to run cooler and be more resistant to burn-off.
Well, ponder no more, my friend. Today, in celebration of the kids' first day back to school, Scan and I decided to break away for a luncheon ride. I checked my antifreeze level (which has also been depleting too much), and it was low again. So I had Scan ride behind me, and sure enough, within 15 minutes of our ride, he said my exhaust was spewing out lots of white smoke, and he could smell antifreeze from behind. I didn't notice anything in my mirrors. When we arrived at the restaurant I had to call up the tow service and get it taken into the dealership. We're suspecting a leaky head gasket, and it may take 2 to 4 weeks to get the bike back, depending on the actual problem. I'm glad it's covered under warranty, and I'm really glad this all didn't occur during the trip I was going to take this Friday - but still, 4 weeks?! How ever will I survive?!!

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

Loonette wrote: ...but still, 4 weeks?! How ever will I survive?!!
Whenever I take my bike in for service, I make sure there's a service loaner available. 8)
It also might make them get the job done sooner if you're out there on their bike... :mrgreen:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#9 Unread post by ZooTech »

Loonette wrote:I'm glad it's covered under warranty, and I'm really glad this all didn't occur during the trip I was going to take this Friday - but still, 4 weeks?! How ever will I survive?!!

Cheers,
Loonette
Yeah, you "lucked" out, so to speak...meaning at least it happened under warranty, though I'm sure that's of no consolation right now.

My NightHawk went in for a clutch replacement and spent the last two months of the riding season in the shop. When I finally got it back I had to ride home in sleet (a nice half hour ride) and winterize it as soon as I got there. :x

Loonette

#10 Unread post by Loonette »

My only consolations at this point are...

1. October is still prime riding season in my eyes. Beautiful scenery, cool temps, kids in school. My bike was only down for three weeks last year during the worst of weather conditions, so I know I'll be riding my bike again soon. And...

2. If I really want to be ambitious, Scan's bike is available. I just have to do a few parking lot practice sessions with that mad machine before hitting the road. I can reach the ground with the balls of my feet, but can't flatfoot that beast. Thus, I'll have to be particularly careful at stops on hills and uneven pavement. But after riding our FZ6 for a bit, I know it's possible. Heck, I might even love it!!

I know my guys at competition will do a good job, so now I just have to be patient.

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600