To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#171 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

20200104_135333-1008x490.jpg
Motorcycle parking only! Dallas IMS 2020!

JackoftheGreen

#172 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Daytime temps have been in the high 40s for the last week, we'll be getting the bikes out soon! It's going to be a busy Spring, we've got lots of exciting stuff lined up!

Make sure you're checking out the YouTube feed as well, we've been uploading lots of stuff from IMS.

On the topic of YouTube, I wanted to take a minute and throw some bandwidth boost to a buddy of mine, his channel has been absolutely KILLING it over on YouTube and I'm hoping to send some audience his way. It's HelmetHead, from the UK, and he's got a lot of great content on his channel. Dude rides a Bonnie and a Tiger, but he's looking at swapping them out for something a little more chrome-ey! Exciting times.

Check out his latest video HERE, and tell him I sent you!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#173 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Maybe he would like to swap for a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100. LOL It has lots of chrome.

JackoftheGreen

#174 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

LoL Blues, that would be a really complicated delivery but what an elegant solution!

Is the 1100 the one you just bought? Gloria?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#175 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Yes, it is.

JackoftheGreen

#176 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

LoL, we were discussing the other day if the forums would enjoy a real-time Chat room, this exchange is evidence that it might. :)

Are you not happy with Gloria, or are you just that much a fan of the Tiger? I know you had a thing for the SuperT years ago, so the Tiger would be in your wheelhouse for sure.

JackoftheGreen

#177 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I read a really interesting article today about vision and avoiding collisions in traffic, written by a fighter pilot. Pretty cool stuff, and I wanted to share the link here. We're all waiting for the snow and ice to thaw, and while we're doing that, articles like these can help us get ready for the riding season.

https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-figh ... the-roads/

JackoftheGreen

#178 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I've just uploaded all our photos from IMS to my IMGUR account!

Particularly interesting pics you'll find in there is the Tenere 700, the Z-H2, and the Katana. There's plenty more too including a lot of the custom bike show bikes. Enjoy!

IMS 2020 Dallas https://imgur.com/a/o1QXkmm

JackoftheGreen

#179 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just a quick update!

It's been a busy couple of weeks over in our neck of the woods, work and kids mostly. This is the first weekend in a while we've had some downtime.

I'll be doing some more work in the basement, finishing the tile surround for our electric fireplace and maybe installing the shower wall insert in the downstairs bathroom so I can start tiling the walls in there. Fun stuff.

Depending on how those projects go, I'm hoping to have time tomorrow to pull Carrie's CTX out of it's berth in the garage. Once it's in the open I can install the grip warmers I bought her for Christmas, and then Baby Shark is off to the shop for a new back shoe and some fresh oil. Weather's on a uptick in our region and I think we'll be riding pretty regularly in about three weeks. Maybe sooner.

For now though, I'm just sipping my coffee at the computer and putting in my computer time. I'm going to watch some YouTube videos from my subscriptions (Helmet Head has a new one out if you missed it!) and then do some dithering about with some royalty-free audio. I'm trying to put together enough music and sound effects to really add some texture to our 2020 video lineup. Exciting stuff happening on that front!

Speaking of exciting stuff, did everyone notice that TMW broke our personal record?? If you scroll to the bottom of the Forum Index page you see a notation at the bottom: Most users ever online was 8488 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:44 pm
Traffic is picking up considerably here in the Forums and it's only the first week of February! Hold on to your keyboards because here it comes!

Oh, and a final note. Carrie bought me a didgeridoo! We've been shopping for a bass guitar for our son to learn on (a new interest of his) and there was a "didge" at one of the music stores we were browsing in. I've loved them ever since I watched Dave Crowe on YouTube, (no link for that one, you'll have to put in the effort yourself but it's worth it!) and it was cheap, so Carrie bought it on the spot. I have no idea how to play it, and almost no musical talent at all, but I don't think it's the sort of instrument you really have to be a musician to play. Or at least, make it make noise, LoL. I'm sure to throw in some footage of me messing with it in our upcoming videos and that'll be hilarious. Don't miss it!

So that's all for now. I'm off to refill my coffee and try to do some audio mixing. Thanks for playing!

JackoftheGreen

#180 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Wow! There's been an incredible amount of traffic on the forums this week! Currently sitting at 12,319 most guests online ever, which is the third or fourth time it's reset this week. Crazy! Glad to see you all here, don't be shy! Say hello. :)

Updates. The plan to take Carrie's CTX to the shop fell through, her battery didn't survive the winter. It's on it's third year so that's not bad, but it meant we didn't manage to get it to the shop. We took the plunge and ordered one of those new-fangled Li-Ion batteries for it, and it's just arrived tonight. Shockingly light and quite a bit smaller than the old one. We'll take some pictures and document the upgrade. Reviews and opinions on the Li-Ion batteries are ALL OVER THE PLACE, and holy ess are they controversial. One innocent question in an FB Group and it's like a bomb went off. We're hoping to write an article about the change, I'm pretty excited.

Finished the tiling on the fireplace in the basement, just gotta do a little caulking around the edges to really clean it up. Looks really good though, we're excited to entertain down there and host our D&D group. Nothing says Dungeons & Dragons nerds like green fire.

It's been a busy weekend. Youngest daughter had an archery meet tonight and shot very well, super impressed and a little intimidated. :) We bought her her own bow so she can practice at home, which when added to the Ruger 10/22 we bought her for Christmas makes her room the armory, LoL.

Tomorrow we're going to the RV and Outdoor Recreation expo in SLC. We're still hunting for the right motorhome, that older Winnebago we bought a while back has just been a horrible money pit. Gonna offload that this spring to a motivated buyer.

I suppose that's everything worth mentioning for now. Temps were warm for the past few days (which was why I was planning to get Baby Shark to the shop) but they're taking a turn for the chilly again this week. It wont be much longer before we're riding every day again though.

OH! One other thing! I finally ponied up and signed up as a Patron for Helmet Head, the YouTuber I've mentioned a couple times in here. He mentions it in his latest video, and he's got a fundraising project idea that sounds incredible. Give his latest episode a watch and throw the guy a thumbs-up, if you're so inclined. You can find it HERE.