Whathim65
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2019

New guy here.

#1 Unread post by Whathim65 »

Hey there folks. New guy here.

After humming and hawing for too long this summer/fall and missing the season, I've decided I'm going to get my bike license next spring/summer. I plan on taking a rider safety course and I've got lots of people I can ride with here so that's not a huge issue.

My (potential) problem is finding a bike that will be okay for a beginner, but also be big enough for me. I'm about 6'4 and about 275lbs (hopefully a bit less by next summer). I live in a relatively small community (about 13,000) in Southeast Alberta that is at least an hour from any major urban center, so most of my rides will be longer highway rides rather than urban/commuting. I DON'T want a sport bike (ie - Ninja/CBR/GSX/etc) and I DON'T want a Harley, but am not completely closed to the idea of a cruiser. In a perfect world, I am torn in a few different directions and would love eventually work up to something like a Yamaha Vmax or Ducati Diavel, but really like the new Indian Scout.

As of right now, the bike I'm leaning towards most right now (if I get something newish) is a Triumph Bonneville T100 Black. If I get something used, I'm maybe looking at something like a Buell Ulysses, but have something like 20 different bikes/styles on my Kijiji 'watch' list.

At the end of the day, I won't be getting anything until I get my license, but am starting the research/saving process. Any thoughts or ideas from bigger riders for new bigger riders?

Thanks!

Thiagoros
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: palsar n200 2022

Re: New guy here.

#2 Unread post by Thiagoros »

Hello guys
I new member of this site.

Neil W
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: Italeri B.M.W. R80 G/S 1000

#3 Unread post by Neil W »

Hey guys, I'm new to the site.
Looking forward to learning and gaining more tips and incites.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hello!

First, congratulations on making the decision. That's half the battle right there is deciding you want to. You're on the right track.
After reading your posts a few times, I think your best bet is the Scout to start on. It's a very even-tempered machine with predictable power delivery and fair handling. I don't think it would feel too small for you, but maybe just a little cramped. Only downside is the smallish tank, but your results will vary. It's a great freeway cruiser, and it would be a while before you felt like you needed to upgrade.

Once you've cut your teeth and you're ready for something bigger, the Diavel is obviously an awesome option. I would also recommend the M109R from Suzuki, especially if you decide you like the cruiser vibe.

DEFINITELY take the class.