bike suggestions for my wife

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male

bike suggestions for my wife

#1 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Both me and my wife decided to learn to ride together. I already have a pretty good idea of what type of bike im looking for. My wife on the other hand might be a challenge to find a bike for. She is rather short at 5'4" and is short of inseam, she is also on the heavy side (though is trying to lose weight).

She also hasn't decided on a style of bike that catches her interest yet. She likes both Cruisers and Sportbikes and even a few standards. Ive looked at the short bike list but many of those look like they would be hard to find.

Any advice on a bike to fit my wife that is relatively easy to find (Wyoming is not the place to find hard to find bikes). Im hoping that she will find a style she likes after the MSF course (our MSF course has several styles of bike available). Also hoping that we can find riding gear in her size.

As for why my wife doesn't post here herself, she is not into online BBS sites (and tries to fathom how I can spend so much time on them).

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

make a bike short

#2 Unread post by niterider »

Maybe you can make a short bike for her. Like a low rider.

Kaige
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Kaige »

I have a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. I'm 5'4 and my bike fits me pretty well. I can flat foot it with room to spare. It's also a pretty lightweight cruiser.

The Spirit is pretty damn low. I've yet to sit on one lower. It's also my first bike and I haven't had any trouble yet getting used to handling it.
2005 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
"Dixie"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I met a woman last week who is both very short and heavy. She was riding a V-star and had no problems with its fit.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I had a little sit down on a 250 virago at the Yamaha dealer here in town, comfy seat, low to the ground, light enough. just go for a little drive to a couple dealerships on the weekend with her and get her to sit on a few bikes... with riding season coming to a close soon, alot of the dealers will be having good sales, and even if you are going used, it'll give you an idea on what she can handle.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#6 Unread post by jmillheiser »

We are both going used for our first bikes. I am primarily looking for a UJM in the 500-700cc range. My wife wants to try out a few different bikes to see what fits her (the MSF course is not too bad a place to do this:) )

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by cb360 »

Yeah - see if she likes the 250cc Japanese cruisers at the MSF. Lot of people can handle a bigger bike, but is she's like my wife she'll prefer the smaller bike at first. My wife loves her Rebel 250 but she thinks my old cb360 is a fire-breathing drag bike!
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#8 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Guess we will find out soon.

as for the make her a short bike. Fabrication is NOT my forte, I make really interesting looking metal sculptures when I try to weld.

Though I am pretty good a wrenching on Engines.

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by Wizzard »

Here is one of the prettiest V-Star 650's I've ever seen . It belongs to one of the brothers in my group .
He's a short guy like me . He even lowered it somemore .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#10 Unread post by jmillheiser »

that is a pretty nice v-star.