The Blog of Blues

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Due to my emotional ups and downs at the present time

#51 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have not been able to write. However, I have a few photos from my Hope, Manning, Princeton, Keremeos big 700km ride a couple of weeks ago.

Parked in Keremeos
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 3_q001.jpg

Gearing up after dinner in Princeton....helmet hair unavoidable :wink:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 2_q001.jpg

Stopping for a photo op to prove I was here.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 7_q001.jpg

Why I have a bad hair day everyday
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 9_q001.jpg

....although hiking hair runs a close second. :laughing: along with the red face from the climb to the top of Goat Mountain.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 3_q001.jpg

Dr_bar allowed me to take a pic to show he was there, too.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 5_q001.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/b334/blue ... 4_q001.jpg

blues2cruise

My joy has become my grief

#52 Unread post by blues2cruise »

So much joy and so much grief from one blue machine

It is ironic that the one thing that has brought so much joy into my life is also the one thing that has caused me so much grief.

I am sensitive at the best of times and I don’t have very broad shoulders which is why I find myself at a crossroad on my journey as a motorcyclist. I have been inundated with opinions and advice from the first day I brought home my bike. I have tried to ride the way I was taught but yet somehow I never feel like I quite measure up.

Complete strangers approach me and start telling me what I should do or not do with my bike. They tell me things I don’t want to hear or don’t need to know. The last thing I need is for some man who “used to ride” to start “dissecting” my bike and then embellishing with a story that if I don’t do what he says I will crash and get my legs chopped off.
I have no problem asking questions if I don’t know something so I truly don’t appreciate unsolicited opinions, advice or comments. It’s never women who start telling me negative stuff. It’s always men. I have always received such positive feedback from women but for some reason some men feel the need to “tell me what to do” or put down my bike because it’s “not a Harley Davidson”. I always tell them the same thing. I like my bike. If you want a Harley you can go get one. Someone even suggested I take the logo off the gas tank so it wouldn’t look like a Yamaha.
Why?
I get given a hard time about everything. I can’t even put on some lipstick without someone giving me the gears. I have had men give me a hard time about my choice of helmet. Men have made comments about my lack of armour in the sleeves of my jacket. Total strangers have come up to me and started hassling me about my boots. Men from work say things about the clothes. In the beginning comments were made because I rode “too cautious” and now that I have a lot more confidence comments have been made about my “daring” because I can finally have some fun. I've even been told the way I shoulder check is wrong. Well, I need to turn my head as far as I do to see around the edge of my helmet. :roll:
People keep telling me I need to get this for my bike or that for my bike. I don’t have the cash and I am beginning to feel like I am such a loser because I don’t have the “right stuff” accessorizing my bike.
When I made the mistake of saying out loud that I was considering selling my car, you would have thought I committing a crime. Gasp! You can’t sell your car! And on and on and on. It’s more people telling me what I should do or not do.
I struggled financially and emotionally to achieve what I have achieved with my motorcycling. I can no longer take the relentless comments made by the men I have come across. I am so bereft at the present time I don’t know which way is up anymore. I took the bus to work the last 2 days. I have put insurance on my car for the upcoming weekend. I am going to go backpacking for a couple of days and have a cooling off period.
It hasn’t been just strangers either. Men who are supposed to be my friends have also had their jabs. I just don’t know how to handle these situations. I was brought up to be polite and being rude is something I am not good at. Although if I am pushed I will fight back but then I am left feeling drained. I don’t want to be rude to my friends but I don’t know how to tell them to quit giving me hard time about everything without offending. I have been given a hard time because I choose not to drink alcohol. Why does it have to turn into almost a shouting match to get some guy to get off my case because I don’t want to drink? I never, ever, drink and ride or drive. Ever.

So, it is decision time.

A: I am thinking of selling my bike and just tell myself I did it…I achieved it and take satisfaction from that and move on.

B: I can park it for the winter and decide in the spring what to do.

The insurance on the bike expires October 15. The bike will be exactly one year old. The whole process of learning, buying, riding, getting licensed and having adventures has been a mixture of sweat, tears, smiles and laughter. It has also been fraught with a lot of tension due to the snobs and know it alls who won’t mind their own business and keep giving me unsolicited advice and a hard time about everything.

If anyone reading this has had the same problems feel free to add a post. Is it just because I am a woman or do some of the men also have the same problems? Tell me how you dealt with your situations. Maybe I can learn some tactics from you. I would once again like to be a happy motorcyclist, but 30 days from tomorrow may be my last day if I don’t resolve my dilemma and my sad/bad feelings. :(
Last edited by blues2cruise on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

#53 Unread post by Mintbread »

I am sorry to hear about the situation you are faced with, but I am sure if you gave it all away you would regret it forever after.
I had a friend many years ago that got a taste of riding on the back of her boyfriends bike and he was constantly irritated by her leaning harder through corners than he was, so she went out and bought her own bike. She was about four foot nothing and looked absolutely tiny on the bike, but it was something she wanted to do regardless of what others said to her. She was constantly being told that the bike was too big for her etc (she required help on more than one occasion to get the bike back up after mishaps with the side stand) but she believed that as soon as she was out and riding, these people couldn't see how much see enjoyed it and had no idea how it felt out on the road.

Ignore the nay sayers, take "advice" from the peanut gallery with a grain of salt and repay them with that dirty great big smile you get when you take off down the road on your beloved motorcycle.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#54 Unread post by Gummiente »

Blues, go for a ride. Don't talk to anyone, don't stop for a coffee anywhere, just clear your mind, hum your favourite tune and go for a ride. If it still makes you feel all warm 'n fuzzy inside, then DO NOT sell the bike. You've gone through too much to just give it all up because of some jack*sses who can't keep their opinions to themselves.

I can empathise with your being sensitive, I can understand how much it hurts to have complete strangers try to knock you off your perch, but you're going to have to learn how to suck it up and give it right back to the naysayers if you want to continue riding. You can still be hurting on the inside, just don't show it on the outside. And unless these twits are the ones who are making the bike payments for you and making the insurance payments, then their opinions really don't matter do they?

Get nasty, get right back in their face or ignore them completely - do what you have to do but DON'T SELL THE BIKE.

And FWIW, if you're ever out my way I'll ride with you. I don't care what you ride, how you dress or what gender you are, if you like bikes I'll ride with you any day. I know that there's many, many people with the same attitude as I have out in BC, you just haven't found them all yet. Keep riding, keep looking and just ignore the trash.

You go, girl!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#55 Unread post by BuzZz »

They are right, you know.

Who are you to think you need or want anything different than exactly what everyone else thinks they want? Do you really think your opinions about how to live your life count for more than some other fools idea of what's best for you? You got some nerve, Lady. :wink:

I'm sorry to hear that these loudmouth wannabes and know-it-alls have got you so bummed out. Maybe it's time for you to take the outlaw image to heart and ride what and how you like, To Hell with what 'they' think or say. Unless you want to live the same lifestyle as those people giving this advice...... but I doubt that's the case. The only person you have to please is yourself. The Hippy-tree-hugger-image-over-substance-I-care-more-than-you-so-my-opinion-counts-more-do-what-I-say West Coasters can kiss your fanny.

Would you have had the experiances and feelings you've had over the past year if you listened to the loser you work beside. Would you be as fullfilled if you did what some stranger at the gasbar said was 'the best way to go'?

Like the man said, go for a ride. Ride your bike and enjoy it. Ignore the human detritis you see out there, and enjoy what you enjoy doing. Let them enjoy thier narrow-focused little worlds and don't let them intrude into yours. If that means selling your car, sell it. If it means keeping it as bad wheather back-up, keep it. But do it because you want to.

I think you should keep your bike. But don't listen to me. You do what makes you most happy. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

Re: My joy has become my grief

#56 Unread post by Loonette »

blues2cruise wrote: I don’t want to be rude to my friends but I don’t know how to tell them to quit giving me hard time about everything without offending.
Who's being rude to whom? I have one basic requirement for any relationship in which I'll engage; respect. First, you need to make it clear to your friends how their comments make you feel. Remind them of how important your personal biking experience is to you. If they are truly good friends, then they should have enough respect for you to back off with their ribbing. And if biking is important enough to you, and if they were to continue with disrespectful behavior, you could just ride more and hang out with your friends a lot less.

As far as strangers are concerned... there's a large number of people in the world who just can't keep their yaps shut. I found being pregnant to be the all-time worst magnet for nosy do-gooders. The unsolicited and highly useless advice was abundant. I get the same questions that you mentioned when I run into Harley riders. It really does get old, but most of the guys I talk to are genuinely curious - they just can't understand why you'd pick an import. I lie and mention price as being the main reason I had to stay away from a Harley. They can understand that logic! If I don't know the person, I don't feel I necessarily owe them a truthful answer - just a polite one.

Try not to let these things get to you. It can be overwhelming at times, dealing with the social retardation of some people. But most people don't mean harm. And really - it should all be about biking. Your biking! Try and stay focused on why you want to ride your beautiful bike in the first place. Now go for a ride!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

blues2cruise

#57 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. Sometimes it's hard to think rationally when feelings are so mixed.

Your words have helped me with my indecision. When my insurance is up middle of next month, I will not renew for now. I will park the bike (prepped for storage of course) and have a cooling off period over the winter.
I will take the advice of "go for a ride and see how you feel"...next week.

I put 3 days worth of insurance on my car for this weekend and am going hiking and camping. I think the weather is supposed to be half decent, too. A change of pace/locale/people may be just what I need. I may even hug a tree just for BuzZz. :lol:

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#58 Unread post by BuzZz »

Forget the tree...... Buzz needs a hug. :wink: :laughing:

Sounds like you could use one, yourself..... :group:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#59 Unread post by cb360 »

I don't get a tenth of the comments you seem to endure. If I got that much unsolicited advice I think I'd start cutting them off mid-sentence... 'I'm not looking for any advice - thank you though!"
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#60 Unread post by cb360 »

Hey - are you sure letting the insurance lapse is a good idea financially orks differently in Canada, but here in the US it can actually cost MORE when you renew if you've let it lapse and try to re-up in the riding season.

Of course the fact that you can get car insurance for 3 days is a completely foreign idea to me. I've had car insurance continually for the last 23 years and if I ever didn't have it for a period I'd get a huge upcharge for 'no prior insurance'. They even got me for being in the Peace Corps for two years - I told them. "There wasn't a car in the entire village!" - didn't matter, I had to pay waht is essentially a penAlty for no prior insu5rance until I'd been insured for a year. What a racket.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c