Proper percedure when facing a collision

Henriettaah
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Henriettaah »

Rebecca, I don't have any practical or legal advice here but am only offering my sympathy, as dealing with this kind of post-accident kerrapp is nothing but a stressful headache. :( I can only imagine if you have written your bike off that it is even more distressing not to be able to get it sorted out quickly! Keep going girl. I'm pleased you came out unscathed in the smash. :muscles:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by TechTMW »

Rebeccaatthewell wrote: The insurance question is with her insurance company and I am seeking legal council at this time, although this causes me knotts in my stomach, because where I grew up, only disreputable people sued anyone. In my family, no one has ever sued anyone for anything so I am very embaressed about it as well. I KNOW that I did everything that I am cappable of doing to avoid the accident, and looking back, I cannot think of anything I could have done different.
Becca
You know you are in the right - then follow your own signature quote ... 8)

Always try to keep the rubber side down - even in a situation like this -

You can keep better control of the bike
Rubber is alot less slippery than metal/plastic is

Get the lawyer. You probably won't have to sue anyone. Typically, if you have legal representation call the insurance company in your behalf, they are much more willing to work with you. You MUST realize - Insurance companies care NOTHING about you - no matter what the advertisements say .... You should not feel embarassed in any way for simply demanding that they do their job.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#13 Unread post by shane-o »

this isnt gunna be popular, and im sure the doods are gunna line up to tear me a knew one........

but

As for laying ya bike down as a means to avoid a collision, or as any kind of willfull defensive act, i think is total BS.

If you have found your self in a position where laying ya ride on its side and surfing it into an object is the best method of salvage, then Im afraid you atre the one who has made the mistake not the puck who pulled out on you !!!

In order to stay alive you need to not put your self in any position where by you rely on a complete stranger to follow the rules and keep you alive.

having said that

Im glad your ok, and I hope you take the person who hurt you and your bike for as much as you can get out of them.

Stay safe.
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#14 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Laying the bike down to avoid a collision is never the best option.

Glad you're okay.

I'm gonna go practice emergency braking so I don't get surprised.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#15 Unread post by Mag7C »

Rebeccaatthewell wrote:The insurance question is with her insurance company and I am seeking legal council at this time, although this causes me knotts in my stomach, because where I grew up, only disreputable people sued anyone. In my family, no one has ever sued anyone for anything so I am very embaressed about it as well.
My family is also against suing. However I believe in your case it is very justified. It's not like you spilled hot coffee in your lap and want millions of dollars in psychological damages. If you've been wronged and have taken every possible step to make it right, and it hasn't been made right, then you should use the system as it is intended and not feel guilty about it.

WicAndThing
Rookie
Rookie

Insurance woes

#16 Unread post by WicAndThing »

Another point you may want to check into is seeing if you can get a copy of their insurance policy. If you can't, your insurance company should be able to. That way you know exactly what kind of coverages she has and what the maximum liabilities are. It is not required to have medical coverage on your policy. It makes good sense if for nothing more than to keep yourself out of court. However, if her policy doesn't cover it, they will never pay your medicals and you will have to sue.

Glad you are OK. I locked my front tire up today in the MSF course but managed to keep the rubber side down. Will definately be practicing that panic stop more!

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#17 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

The bike was a 93 Suzuki Intruder 800 , but it only had 14,000 miles on it and was in really good shape except for the seat, and or course the new one I had ordered came in the same day :)

Becca
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#18 Unread post by 9000white »

if it slid on it's side it might be fixable.if it ragdolled that's another story.
dr bob

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#19 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

It slid on it's side. in fact it didn't completely touch on the side of the bike because the foot rest under the clutch jammed halfway up and dug into the pavment which slowed the bike down considerably and kept if from sliding completely on it's side. The clutch wires attached to the handlebars have the leather covering completely sheered off of the wires. That is why it won't crank I think. I didn't see anything else other than the foot rest being half eaten off and the front signal light being partially "eaten" and the wiring. I could not even find a spot on the side of the bike where it slid.

Becca

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#20 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Rebeccaatthewell wrote:Proper percedure when facing a collision
Miss! :D

Sorry, been trying to restrain myself, but finally failed :oops:
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]