over the ankle boots

macktruckturner
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by macktruckturner »

you'll get 'em cheaper off post - I don't even buy boots on post (when I buy them at all - that's what issue is for!) I do know that at Ft. Benning (where I'm stationed when not in Iraq...) they do a sale of turn-in gear from Sand Hill (where the Basic Combat Training Brigade, and Infantry Training Brigade are at), basically the stuff that was worn by pukes that couldn't hack it - and can't be reissued. That is about the cheapest way to get like-new gear, if your buddy can get to a deal like that at his installation, you'd be money.

On re-soleing, yes they can be. My buddy is on his 4th or 5th set of soles for his original issue boots (the same ones we went through OSUT in). I have a pair of Altama speedlaces I bought before I enlisted b/c I needed a full leather boot for work - I rode in them while I was home on R&R. I'll use my field boots (the ones I wore all through OSUT/Airborne/RIP and all 3rd ID field problems prior to OIF3) when I get back - since they're well broken in, and very comfortable now. I'd go w/ Altama boots myself for riding, Cocorans use a thinner leather, that is stiffer, and lighter - and also will spit shine to a high $BLING$ - but I wouldn't wear a pair for utility. There are plenty of soles to look at, I wouldn't go w/ the ripple/wave sole, but look for a sole similar to that found on work boots (red wing, cat, etc). The standard issue sole is fine, but won't give you much in the way of grip on ice (or slick mud for that matter).

The boots they issue now, for the new (and stupidly ugly) digital camo crap are great - but not all leather. They feel like tennis shoes, I could wear them all day (and do...) Just food for thought.

Hope that helps, some.

archanis
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#12 Unread post by archanis »

ive decided altama boots with the siera style sole. ill look into the deal you mentioned, but its going to be a week before my next anchorage trip. *sigh* not much of a base up here in the frozen north... but im sure there is something.

thanks for the info, every buck i save, i can put towards my down payment and insurance!
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

Ham Hock
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by Ham Hock »

I live near a military base.

I was lucky enough to get a military discount on a pair of boots, cause I know the manager of the office supply store.

They carry these and say this is what the grunts (God love em) wear:

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/

I got the steel toe warm weather boots.

You can buy these too, they are available to the public, but unless you know someone you will pay full retail probably.