need some advice from the ladies

Joeyrocksguitar
Rookie
Rookie

need some advice from the ladies

#1 Unread post by Joeyrocksguitar »

My gf wants to learn how to ride the motorcyle. I think its better for to take a classes with me to learn how to ride. I'm up for taking classes with her. She insists on me showing her on my own, but I don't like that idea. Any advice on how to approach this?

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Re: need some advice from the ladies

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Joeyrocksguitar wrote:My gf wants to learn how to ride the motorcyle. I think its better for to take a classes with me to learn how to ride. I'm up for taking classes with her. She insists on me showing her on my own, but I don't like that idea. Any advice on how to approach this?
Show her the basics, starting, stoping, shifting, turning just so she knows how to ride. THEN drag her to the MSF.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by KarateChick »

Really, really recommend she do the course (and it'd be even better for her cause you'd be there too). If she's worried about being the only girl there, well that's probably not going to be an issue and she'll become too busy learning to worry about that for long. (Besides, how often can she go to a class that's usually made up of a majority of men around her... :wink: )

Do you have a bike already and are you prepared not to freak a bit if she drops it? Does she even fit your bike comfortably? If you are new to riding as well, then its not a great idea either - she should most definitely take a course.

While I was on my course, our group and instructors spent a bit of :shock: time watching this guy in the parking lot across the street of all places! showing his wife/gf how to pilot his beautiful heavy-looking cruiser (I was too noob to know what type bike it was) and we all had to collectively groan when she dropped it at least twice while we were watching.

Know anyone that taught someone or learned to drive a standard shift car using the "teacher's" car? Some of those are not pleasant experiences - like lending out your toothbrush for some. Go for the course - won't cause unneccessary stress on your relationship either.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I tend to do things the opposite way, and do most of the learning myself, and learn with friends. I find "classic" instruction very slow and very limiting in the way they think. Too structured for me. Maybe your girlfriend is entirely capable of learning on her own with a little assistance.

I think Geoff's idea has merit. But, if you're not comfortable training her than let her know what more experienced riders can do.

Fitting the bike and the other bits that KarateChick mentions are always important too.

Why is it that she insists on you training her rather than taking an MSF course? find this out. Maybe MSF has a course video that would alleviate some of her inhibitions. If she has had bad experiences with instructors in the past, you might visit a few schools and talk with them beforehand, or get recommendations from local bike dealers, friends, etc...

good luck!
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

mammy
Regular
Regular

RE G/F WANTING TO RIDE

#5 Unread post by mammy »

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE CLASS.. #1 IT TEACHES HER PROPER TECHNIQUE FOR RIDING, BEING A NEWBIE I FEEL THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT. TEACHES THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER RIDING GEAR, WHICH I WILL WEAR UNTIL IM COMFORTABLE. IT WORKS ON A STEPPING STONE THEORY, LEARNING AND "GETTING" ONE THING BEFORE MOVING TO ANOTHER, BUILDING CONFIDENCE.

I TOOK A CLASS WITH A G/F AND THERE WAS A SEASONED RIDER THERE, WHO SAID HE ALSO LEARNED SOME THINGS IN CLASS THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW..... AGAIN.. PROPER TECHNIQUE I FEEL IS IMPORTANT, BEFORE YOU GET TAUGHT, OR LEARN OTHER WAYS OF DOING THINGS.

MY CLASS WAS DONE BY A PRIVATE INSTRUCTOR... *(YEA BETTY)* AND SHE WAS GREAT... THE COURSE COST ME 200$ PLUS THE COST OF MY GEAR... 100$.. BUT WELL WELL WORTH THE CASH I SPENT.

JUST MY 2 CENTS.
IT'S A WONDERFUL FEELING TO MAKE A LIFE DREAM COME TRUE.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by cb360 »

The class is cheap, it's fun, it lets you skip the license test and it might allow you to save insurance money. Not to mention she might learn something. A beginner teaching a beginner? That doesn't seem like the best way to go. It also baffles me when someone embarking on a potentially dangerous hobby/lifestyle choice, whatever, where they are ultimately going to spend thousands of dollars and they don't want to spend the $100 or whatever it is to get a little training.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

Sounds more like a psychological thing. She's looking for a way to be close to you. I suspect that to her having her BF teach her how to ride has a certain romantic appeal. Like that movie "How to lose a guy in ten days."

Offering to take the class with her was a start, but suggest that she'll be paying for any repairs cosmetic or structural that may result from your teaching her and she may come round.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]