Anyone fail the MSF course?

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by cb360 »

Oh, I forgot the original question. I think we had about 15 in my class. We had two drops - both in class, not on the test (it was raining cats and dogs both course days) and they weren't failed immediately or anything like that.

We had one girl who didn't show up the second day so she was out.

Everybody passed the written test.

All but two passed the skills test... at least one came back for the free re-test the next week.

Our class in Washington State is $100 (if you get in the subsidized class) or maybe $300 if you want to get in quicker - not sure of the cost for that class but it's more.

The teacher was good. He was a retired navy guy and teaching msf is his career now and he takes it seriously and does a very good job.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

TeeMan
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by TeeMan »

I'd recommend taking it, though in CA its only $200, not $400. Our class had only one drop and she didn't stay for the whole thing. Everyone in my session passed the riding test. It was my first time on a bike too and I had no problems, in fact, I almost got out of there with a perfect score!

If you truly think you can set up proper exercises AND evaluate yourself AND provide yourself with improvement tips, then its not worth it. Otherwise, I'd reconsider...

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#13 Unread post by storysunfolding »

TeeMan wrote:If you truly think you can set up proper exercises AND evaluate yourself AND provide yourself with improvement tips, then its not worth it. Otherwise, I'd reconsider...
I think that if you don't think you can do that, you really shouldn't be on the bike.

Again, I think MSF is great, even though I have yet to take a class. At the same time, I have yet to meet someone who has come out of that class with poo that doesn't stink. You should always be evaluating yourself, you should always be finding ways to improve just like with anything else.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

TeeMan
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by TeeMan »

I disagree. Do you honestly think that:

- someone who has never ridden a bike before can provide themselves with riding tips???
- you can tell if you went outside the line on a curve since if you're riding right you're not even looking at the ground?
- you know when its appropriate to feather the clutch vs the rear brake on slow speed exercises?
- that you stopped as fast as you could possible stop in a braking exercise?

Sorry, if you think a beginner who can't do that (and much more) shouldn't be riding, there would be no one on a motorcycle.
:roll:
Further, if you can do all that, you don't need the MSF, you need to come teach me how to ride! :wink:

I agree you should think about what you're doing and 'evaluate' yourself, but that's nowhere near the same as replacing a proper MSF course.[/quote]

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#15 Unread post by jmillheiser »

In my MSF course everyone passed. In wyoming its only $15 for the course.

It was definately $$ well spent. Before the course I had never ridden before. After taking it I know the basics, and know what I need to work on to get better. I still am not about to ride on a busy street without some practice on streets with little traffic.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#16 Unread post by Sev »

TeeMan wrote:I'd recommend taking it, though in CA its only $200, not $400. Our class had only one drop and she didn't stay for the whole thing. Everyone in my session passed the riding test. It was my first time on a bike too and I had no problems, in fact, I almost got out of there with a perfect score!

If you truly think you can set up proper exercises AND evaluate yourself AND provide yourself with improvement tips, then its not worth it. Otherwise, I'd reconsider...
It cost me $400 Canadian, basically $200 American/laugh.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

njdeerhunter
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by njdeerhunter »

I came very close to failing. I passed by 5 points, and learned that I needed much more practice. We had 3 people fail. They seemed to have trouble with basic control of the bikes. My problem, was I was tensing up and getting very nervous(Of failing). Also my swerving was very poor. I didn't do very well with the turn in the box either. Once again my nerves were keeeping me so tight I couldn't relax and just do it.

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

dsad

#18 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

when i took the MSF....a month ago......here in los angeles, cali......2 people failes....

one lady that kept holding the front brake and twisting the throttle at the same time......2 opposite forced agianst each other.....she was doing t throughtout the excersies on the 2nd day, when brake time came, she went around and right when she was about to slow down and turn off the bike, she let go of the brake (while Still twisting throttle), the bike jumped and crashed to a cruiser parked in front of it which cased alotta damage......she went down with it, she was okay afterwards, but the 2 bikes were pretty messed up (headlights...etc)

and a guy (i was on the other side of the course when it happened)......he was going towards the middle of the cones where we were told to stop so the instructors can tell us how we did......when he got there, he squeezed the front brakes, he was thrown over the bike, and they did NOT give full face helmets, so he fell on his face, his nose and forehead were pretty messed up.

they were both asked to leave.....i didn't see them on the last day.....but they said that everyone who is asked to leave can call them and make a free appointment for next week's class to finish the course.

CajunBass
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by CajunBass »

I took 2/3 of one. I didn't go back the third day so I guess I flunked it. I was driving 100 miles one way, and paying 115 dollars for this by the way.

We had four hours of "classroom." A total waste of time. They gave us a book, and a list of 75 questions. We went through the book and watched a few video's. In the book we marked the answers to the questons on the sheet. When it came time to take the "test" we were told to look in the book and find the answer that matched the question. I learned more reading the DMV book.

The next day was the most miserable day I have ever spent on a motorcycle. I have tried hard to blame myself, and I will take a lot of it. I wasn't prepared really I guess; I had never ridden a motorcycle with a clutch and a rear brake before. I never had any trouble with stalling the bike, and I never dropped it, but I was always a bit behind the curve I guess is the best explanation. The more I was behind, the more fustrated I got. At no time did either of the instructors offer any explanation of what I was doing wrong. Yes, they knew I was having trouble, because they kept telling me "You're not going to pass this course." At the end of the day I walked off, telling myself I wasn't coming back the next morning.

But I did start back. On the way down, I started to have a tightness in my chest, and a shortness of breath. I decided to go to the ER instead. They checked me out and found nothing wrong. I know now that it was simply stress from knowing I wasn't going to pass.

Who's fault was it? Mostly mine I admit. However I honestly don't feel there was much if any "instruction" going on. "Just get them through here and out the door ASAP." If someone falls behind, don't let it slow the rest of them down.

I went to DMV, got a copy of their book, took a tape measure and measured their course then drew it out in a parking lot with sidewalk chalk and crushed soda cans and practiced, practiced, practiced. I felt pretty good when I passed it, since the guys at the MSF had said the DMV test was harder than theirs, and the passing score was higher.

So yes. I guess I flunked the MSF. I might go back and take it again someday.
[color=red]For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.[/color]
John 3:16 (NKJV)

-Curly-
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by -Curly- »

The MSF is just a scam. I paid $195 for a 2 1/2 days. 6 hours class room and 10 hours waiting in line to do a couple of runs on there course. The state doesn't have to test you, so they save money and some small company gets some work, and your money.

But since I never rode before, I took it. I failed the figure 8 misurably, the swerve was a joke, I had no problem with the quik stop, hit two cones on the curve thingy, and passed.

I got my license, used the exercises in a parking lot when I bought my bike, and 1400 miles later I am better off now that I took it.

The MSF is a scam, a helpful scam, but still a scam.
2006 Yamaha VStar Custom
Green Knights Motorcycle Club
"Freedom Through Service"