DROPPED MY BIKE!

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male

DROPPED MY BIKE!

#1 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

god damn :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

1st off, i just got insurance last night, and my crazy donkey only got liability cause i didn't think i'd drop it.

liability(w/ anti-insured motorist) =d $600
full coeverage =d $2200

...cheapest i found, checked eith like 50 companies.

this morning i went and i bought a pair of boots (pretty heavy)....i think that's what caused the drop.

i was only downhill, not too fast but i was still in 3rd gear w/ my ex500. i got to the bottom of the hill, came to a stop sign, there was a lot of small puddles....i noticed i was going too fast, so i pushed a little harder on the front brakes.....and outta nowhere i somehow the bike fell over and pushed me to the side and then forward like 7 feet in front of it.....luckily i had my gear on, so i was sliding on my hands...i got a couple of holes through my gloves. .......my guess it the back wheel locked...am i right? and i think it was because of the frikkin heavy "O Ring" boots that were on em. (i ofcourse didn't realizie it at the time)......

i'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened......any ideas?

i don't know the right 'terms' but i'll try my best......the sidelights fell off(yellow blinkers), the left frame(the one where it says "ninja" & "500R" on it).....the muffler got scrached up and a lot of other small scratches everywhere.

took it to a kawasaki dealer.

he asked me how long the bike was on the ground for and i said 5-10 seconds....(i picked it up as soon as i could)....he turned it on and said it sounds like there is something like with i dont remember (something that makes sparks) thoughi rode it around for awhile and it was fine.

he said that he fixed but that one had the whole left side messed up....he said it cost $3,700 !!!!! i bought my bike for $4,000.

so ya any advice on what might have happened & what i should do would be appreciated

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#2 Unread post by Shiv »

You may have had the front wheel turn a bit and it go down that way.

That's what happend in my MSF. Somehow the bike got away from me and I was jamming on the front brake (my first instinct, I had forgotten completely about the back brake at that point) and it stopped me, but the front wheel turned quite a bit and down it went. A lesson well learnt I say.

I was only going about 10 or 15 so I got it to a complete stop but I could see the same thing happening in your case.

There's a term for it, highsiding I think.

But regardless that's my guess as to what happend. Your back brake could have locked up. Did you hear squealing? If not that's probably not the case.

But yah if your back brake did lock up then all the pressure would have been transferred to your front wheel (from what I understand, mind you.) since your back wheel wouldn't have much grab on the road. Handle bars twist to the side and down you go.

That's my guess. Other more knowledgeable riders may have a better one for you.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

gumby191
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by gumby191 »

Don't worry man your not alone, it's only a matter of time before 90% of riders drop a bike at some point in their life. I've been there and done that so I know how you feel. The important thing is that you were able to walk away from it.

Keep your eye on ebay to replace your damaged parts. You would have to be insane to through down over $3000 into a $4000 bike. I see ninja body parts go for dirt cheap all the time on ebay, so you can't go wrong that way.

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#4 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

Might of been a painted crosswalk. The paint is quite slippery when wet. If the front wheel locked, you will go down quickly. Belive me, I know! 8)
Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T

sickchilly
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by sickchilly »

When you get heavy on the front brake, you better make damn sure you keep the bars straight and keep the bike upright. Otherwise, physics will be against you. That bike will want to go down and it will want to go down in the direction of lean or turn.

If you have to do a rapid stop, I've found it's better to use both brakes with a heavy bias towards the front brake but as you get close to 5-10 mph, ease up on the front brake and use a bit more back brake. This will give you a bit more control as you shift a bit of weight off the front wheel.
2005 Yamaha V-star 650 Silverado

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

dsads

#6 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

this just like messed up my whole day...you know?....the feeling sucks....

like gumby said, i didn't get scratch on me and that's all i guess matters.

and i looked on ebay...just found a buncha levers(clutch, brakes).....the guy's gonna do an inspection and give me an estimate tomorrow morning...i hope its not toomuch.

you know how for cars the dealer's charge alot more to fix? is it the same for bikes?

i also heard something about after market parts, they're alot cheaper i've heard...are they any good?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

I'd check e-bay for bits and pieces. And a couple of scratches will add character to your bike. You aren't required to restore everything to 100% perfect so I wouldn't sweat small stuff like a couple of scratches.

You may want to take it to another Kawi dealership, usually repairs that expensive mean you have a trashed bike, not a dropped one.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

There's always the naked streetfighter look! Very cool. 8)
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

kii

#9 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

ronboskz650sr wrote:There's always the naked streetfighter look! Very cool. 8)
lol
Sevulturus wrote: usually repairs that expensive mean you have a trashed bike, not a dropped one.
the only thing i need is the left blinker and the left side cover...which i hopefully doubt will cost more than $150. the only thing i'm worried about is if anything happened to the engine...you know the "technical stuff".........he asked me gow long it was down on the ground for before i picked it up. does that really make a difference?

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#10 Unread post by Shiv »

I can't imagine why it would make a difference.

Sounds to me that he's just making up excuses to get your money.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.