DROPPED MY BIKE!

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#11 Unread post by sapaul »

Being a Trials rider for many years, we learn to use front and back brakes independantly for different obstacles, bringing that knowledge onto the tar has helped me a great deal. I have demonstrated to people, slamming on the back brake at speed on a road bike, locking the rear wheel and the bike still going straight. On my trials bike, the front brake slammed on would either, do a stoppie if I was straight, or, if the wheel was even slightly turned, down you would go. You can control a rear wheel slide, but it is very difficult to keep the bars straight on a front wheel slide. Yes you should use the 70/30 principal under normal conditions, but in panic mode the rear is often better to use. If you have to slam it on, slam on the rear.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by 9000white »

this is the reason that we senile senior citizens recommend a good used bike to learn on.
dr bob

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

Shiv wrote:I can't imagine why it would make a difference.

Sounds to me that he's just making up excuses to get your money.
I agree. Change the oil in case the cylinders flooded from the float bowls being tipped on their sides, and ride it. Take off the oil filler cap and sniff hard..might smell gassy. Just change it to be safe.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

Vit0r
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by Vit0r »

$3700??? Pass. You can buy a new 250R with that money or a great used bike. He's just yanking your chain. Unless I know the mechanic working on my vehicle I never ever trust one working in a shop. Though this isn't about motorcycles I once went in for a normal oil change and the guy said to come back soon because there was something wrong, odd since I brought it in perfectly fine. Then the car was acting funky and when I checked for myself the crumb bastid had loosened my screws on purpose so that I'd comeback. After that, I vowed to never again trust anyone to work on my car but my family and myself. I doubt you'll be planning to keep that 500 for the long run and would be looking to move up but I still feel your pain since you bought new and your bike probably looks like the Batman villain Two-face right about now.

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

eqe

#15 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

well ya, this is my learning bike.......but crashing it after less than a week still sucks.

i just dropped it off at the dealer right now, today is saturday, they're closed on sunday & monday, so he told me to pick it up on wednsday.......i paid $95 for a full inspection....all around & engine.....this other shop would've done it all for $50 but i thought to myself, its better to take it to the dealer.

anyways, i hope it doesn't cost much.

and ronboskz650sr, when i turn it on, it smells like someone just emptied a big bucket of gas over my head, i told them that too, they said the same thing you said.....hopefully that won't cost much either.

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by basshole »

sounds more like a crash than a drop. how fast were you going?
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#17 Unread post by jmillheiser »

What you did was a lowside. you locked up the front wheel and down you went.

Good to hear your ok.

I would suggest changing the oil asap. then decide how much of the bodywork you want to fix.

And get some frame sliders (might have saved you some damaged plastic).

Oh and lowsides suck (I did the same thing you did at my MSF course) but they are better than highsides (this involves getting launched off the bike).

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

dads

#18 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

basshole wrote:sounds more like a crash than a drop. how fast were you going?
going downhill, maybe 30-45..........at the time of crash, maybe 7-12
jmillheiser wrote:What you did was a lowside. you locked up the front wheel and down you went.
what are frame sliders?

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#19 Unread post by Shiv »

I'm not 100% on this but i believe they're like foot pegs and jut from the fairings a bit so that the bike slides on the pegs instead of the fairing.

Thus the pegs get damaged and not the fairing.

Now I'm not 100% like I said but it makes sense.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

dada

#20 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

Shiv wrote:I'm not 100% on this but i believe they're like foot pegs and jut from the fairings a bit so that the bike slides on the pegs instead of the fairing.

Thus the pegs get damaged and not the fairing.

Now I'm not 100% like I said but it makes sense.
it makes sense & i think you're right, i did a google image search and came up with these: