Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

LADIES - Sorry for the intrusion....

#1 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Sorry for the intrusion ladies. I have a question for a friend. She's 5'2" and has never ridden a bike before. She's planning on taking the MSF here in PA in the Spring of next year. My question is; Any suggestions on bikes? She really wants a sport bike. I recommended sitting on a Ninja 250. Anyone else about her size have any recommendations? Thanks and, again, sorry for the intrusion.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

Buell Blast might not be bad either, though I think it has a higher seat then the ninja. I've noticed that ninjas in general seem to have a pretty high seat. You might suggest that she pick up a cheap cruiser and old rebel or savage to spend the first season on. I know that they don't look as cool, but with the lower seat height she can get confident with how to ride a bike without having to worry about if she can get a foot down.

My ex was 5'2" and she could flatfoot my savage with no problems. I doubt she could get a leg over my 599, then again she's not around for me to check anymore :P
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Ladymx »

Have a look through the womens first bike choice, its the sticky at the top of the forum index in the ladies lounge

banditbarbi
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by banditbarbi »

I am 5'3. the bandit that I ride has been lowered, the handle bars ajusted for my reach, an aftermarket seat brings it down another inch, so I am not quite flatfooted, but I can still touch the ground with both feet. my friend who is 5'0 rides a kawasaski zzx600, they also builted the sportbike with a lower seat height. This is her first bike as well.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll try and show her the options at work Thursday. I tried to get her to sign up here herself but, she's also a computer noob and didn't seem to eager to jump right in.

Thanks again!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Sevulturus wrote: You might suggest that she pick up a cheap cruiser and old rebel or savage to spend the first season on. I know that they don't look as cool, but with the lower seat height she can get confident with how to ride a bike without having to worry about if she can get a foot down.
:P
:shock:

Cool is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

Cruisers are plenty cool. :P :) :wink:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

blues2cruise wrote:
Sevulturus wrote: You might suggest that she pick up a cheap cruiser and old rebel or savage to spend the first season on. I know that they don't look as cool, but with the lower seat height she can get confident with how to ride a bike without having to worry about if she can get a foot down.
:P
:shock:

Cool is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

Cruisers are plenty cool. :P :) :wink:
To you, not to her.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Jacine
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Jacine »

The Buell Blast 500 has two seat models. One is 27.5 and the lowest seat is 25.5 and is great for us smaller folk. The only thing is the Blast is a thumper and the vibrations may be annoying to some. One word of caution. Never get a used or older blast. The older blasts leaked oil and the used ones are usually from a Harley learn to ride school, so they have been beaten up internally. The new models 2005 and 06 seem to be ok.

:laughing:
Jacine

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Thanks again for the continued help. At this point, I'm waiting until after she's taken her msf in the Spring then, I told her I'll go with her to the local dealers so she can "try some on" to see how they fit.

beatleparties
Rookie
Rookie

To "Intrusion"

#10 Unread post by beatleparties »

I started riding dirtbikes as a teen around the quarries and RR beds of PA near Pen Argyl, Wind Gap, Bangor, Plainfiled Twnsp area. I am only 5'4 and I restarted my riding as an adult on a Suzuki Savage 650LS Cruiser. Then I bought a Ninja 250R. It sounds rediculous, but I laid them both down on a very plush lawn (& blanket) and was able to get them back up. The reason I say this is because during my first season on the road, a car cut me off as I was pulling out of a parking lot (they pulled out next to me and turned right into my path, and I had to lay it down. I lost my footing and ended up under my friends Vulcan 750. I was stuck under this bike until someone saw me laying there. That was a fun experience! Not! Anyway....I would definately not go with the Ninja if you will be going anywhere near dusty roads. They can't handle a little dirt. That's why mine's giving me trouble. The Savage is a sturdy, starter bike. The rebel is too, but she will most likely want to upgrade after one full season. You "grow out" of them quickly. The Honda Rebel is another bike similar to the Savage. Not sure of the weight though. These bikes are great for the vertically challenged, average strength woman or man.
KRISTY