Looking for input. Would you support.........

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Looking for input. Would you support.........

#1 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have read so many stories by women who have a lot of diifuculty finding motorcycle clothing, gear and accessories designed for women.

It has been on my mind that a shop that deals exclusively to women riders and or their male counterparts who may be buying something for the woman in their life could be a good idea.

I have seen a location for lease in Vancouver and it has me wondering if it could work. It used to be an auto repair place but has been sitting empty for awhile. It has bay doors and a retail area. It could (with the right mechanic) be a place that could service bikes and sell gear for women. This would not be a place to buy motorcycles.....at least not yet. :wink:

My question is this? Would women shop and support such a place or would they probably just keep going to the established motorcycle shops to buy gear and get the servicing and repairs on their bikes.

Thanks for your "opinions" and input.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#2 Unread post by sapaul »

Hi Blues, with your permission. In SA we have all the makes and brands and all the bull about this jacket for women and these pants for women but women here still moan about the stuff not fitting right. Just recently I commisioned a custom leather suit for my bettter half and it cost less than off the shelf and it is what she wanted because she said so Now do not get me wrong here I am trying to be diplomatic, but no two women are shaped the same and no woman is happy with her shape. Men are like, well OK it's close enough, women are like, no way it's good enough. Maybe if you looked at custom stuff at reasonable prices, that could be a profitable business.

I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

blues2cruise

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks for your reply, sapaul. I did not take it the wrong way or any way. I was asking for opinions so it's good that you shared one.

Your wife's leathers look good.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

I think that a lot of women are generally happy with their body, but are unhappy that there isn't enough variety/availability of proper fitting clothes - especially with something so specific as motorcycle gear. I find that it's typically men and marketing agencies who aren't happy with women's bodies. Just my opinion anyway.

One problem that motorcycle shops face is that if they do carry women's gear, it is going to sit on the shelves a lot longer than the men's clothing. Although I have noticed that in the two years since I've started riding, our local motorcycle shop has started carrying much more in the way of women's gear. The demand is increasing, which would on its own create good reasoning for your idea. I think you should still carry a good amount of men's gear as well, just to help pad the business.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

CodeMack
Rookie
Rookie

Womens Apparel

#5 Unread post by CodeMack »

Hi. I am new to the site so was just skimming through some of the more recent posts and saw your idea. I want to say that I think it's a great idea that would probably flourish provided its in a populated area. (I live in an area shared with the Amish so wouldn't fly around here LOL) I have troubles finding things to fit, especially when it comes to my riding boots! I wear a womens size 11 plus I have narrow feet. The Harley boots I want are $125, so I'm wearing my Magnum work boots until I win the lottery *grins*. I'm also shaped weird in my opinion. From the knees down and the chest up, I'm fine, but the middle seems to be expanding now that I'm in my 30s. If I find pants to fit my waist they're too small for my hips, and if they fit my hips then there's lots of room in the waist. My chaps are getting rather snug on my thighs, but have PLENTY of room in the calf area and are plenty long enough (I'm 5'7", 165 lbs *gulp*). My coat is the perfect size w/o the liner in, but I'm not about to freeze my "O Ring" off without having it in my coat on a chilly evening ride either!

I think that for as much money as we have to spend at bike dealers (regardless of whether it's Harley, Honda, Kawasaki....) lots of us would be willing to take a gander in a shop that advertises female specific apparel/gear, and as long as the prices are comparable (or better yet, cheaper!) I think it has the potential of becoming a great idea!

Let me know if you or someone you know decide to give this a try! I'm very curious to see what others think about this idea as well!
Which is better, ignorance or apathy?
Who knows?
Who cares?

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#6 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Hmmmmn....all this talk about women & leather..... :naughty:

blues2cruise

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

CentralOzzy wrote:Hmmmmn....all this talk about women & leather..... :naughty:
:laughing:

You sure do have a long history of motorcycling. I just took a quick look in your website....lots of good pics.
How many bikes do you still have?

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#8 Unread post by CNF2002 »

I find that it's typically men and marketing agencies who aren't happy with women's bodies.
Riiiight...me and my guy pals always hang out and discuss how various women could use to lose 5-10 pounds in specific areas of their bodies. Marketing agencies just feed on women's insecurities about their bodies to make money, telling them they DO need to look a certain way when they really don't.

Unless a woman is unhealthy looking, most guys don't care. We may ogle over the victoria secret models but its not what we're really looking for.

As for this idea, I think its a GREAT idea if done in the right market. In an area that has a long riding season, a liberal community perhaps in a big city. Cater to what women want, not just gear that fits good but also looks good with all the 'cute' options. I think the biggest problem is that women want so much variety in what they wear, it would be hard to stock enough inventory and manage to sell it all.

Don't forget to stock a few male items also, as inevitably women will come in with their spouses. I go shopping with my wife all the time and I always wonder why women-only clothing stores don't have a little section for men, if they did I would spend some time there and probably end up spending money on impulse buys.

Oh, and PLEASE include chairs of some kind in your store.

I guess my biggest concern for this would be where would you find suppliers? Are there manufacturers who make plenty of diverse women's gear?
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#9 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

blues2cruise wrote: You sure do have a long history of motorcycling. I just took a quick look in your website....lots of good pics.
How many bikes do you still have?
Thanks!

I still maintain several HOG's in the Stable....Or should that be Sty?

:wink:
Last edited by CentralOzzy on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blues2cruise

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

CNF2002 wrote:
I find that it's typically men and marketing agencies who aren't happy with women's bodies.

I guess my biggest concern for this would be where would you find suppliers? Are there manufacturers who make plenty of diverse women's gear?
The are plenty of suppliers....the retailers just don't bother bringing much stuff in.
My experience has been if you're tiny you can get gear. If you are tall or have long legs or arms or heaven forbid...have curves....then there isn't much selection in the usual bike stores.