sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#11 Unread post by sapaul »

South Africa:

16 to 18 year olds ride on an A1 license.

This is a written theory test, you then have 18 months in which to take practical on bike test. No more than 125 cc. No pillions

Over 18 must sit an A test, regardless of any other license held.

This is a written theory test, you then have 18 months in which to take practical on bike test. Any CC, No pillions.

Once the practical tests have been taken you may then carry pillions in that catagory.

We also have license renewals every five years which requires an eye test, fail the eye test, lose your license. Car and/or bike.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#12 Unread post by jmillheiser »

In Wyoming you can get an M endorsement by taking a written and riding skills test. Have to be 16 or older. Can also get a 90 day permit with only a written.

MSF course completion (MSF course only costs 15$ in wyoming) counts for both written and riding skills test. Here you just bring in your MSF completion card and they give you your endorsement.

Only restriction is in wyoming if you are 16 is the restrictions of the GDL program apply in terms of no passengers and no night riding until you make it to the next step of the GDL program.

Wyoming also makes no distinction between a motorcycle and a scooter/moped.

Though Wyoming is thinking about adding a Scooter based MSF course due to the sigfificant increase in scooter sales here. Apparantly a lot of the new scooter riders have been bugging the DOT to do a Scooter specific MSF course.

Wyoming is unusual in that its one of the few places where there isn't 10,000 layers of bureaucracy in the state govt. When I went to sign up for the MSF course I went down to the DOT building in town and talked to the head of the motorccyle safety program for the state of wyoming (living in the state capital has its advantages), she was very friendly and even called me when an early cancellation took place so I could take the course earlier.

denunciation
Rookie
Rookie

Ontario

#13 Unread post by denunciation »

In Ontario Canada:

M1 class licence is for beginners. Achieved by a written test. This is only valid for 3 months.

M2 class is done by passing a raod test with the DMV or by completing a trainning course, upon completion M2 class is awarded. Valid for 5 years.

M class is the final class, obtained by completing a road test through the ministry of transportation.

Awox
Regular
Regular

#14 Unread post by Awox »

I am from New South Wales, Australia.

Learner License

You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner licence. However, you may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months. You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence.

Learner and provisional riders are limited to 260cc engines with no more than a power-to-weight ratio of no more than 150kW per metric tonne.

1. Go to motor Registry and register for WHEEL-SKILLS' learners course, gear and bikes (very nicely maintained CB250s) are supplied ($60.00)
2. Attend the two-day (2 x 3.5hour day weekend) course and achieve a "pass" outcome. This was very easy for me to do, and I had never even been out of second on a car. This course covers "road-craft" or defencive riding, turning, braking and gearing.
3. On monday take the cerfiticate the instructer signed to the motor registry to take the electronic DKT (Driver Knowledge Test) ($33.00 each attempt)
4. After passing buy a license ($17.00)

Provisional License

You must have held your learner rider licence for a minimum of three months before you are eligible to attend the pre-provisional course. However, you may book your course any time after gaining your learner rider licence.

Your learner rider licence is valid for six months. If you have not passed the pre-provisional course within that time your licence will expire and you will need to attend the pre-learner course again. Mature age riders are exempt from the requirement to wait three months between courses.

1. Book and complete the MOST (Motorcycle Operator Skills Test, Designed to measure a rider’s ability to handle a motorcycle, including starting, accelerating, turning and braking. It is undertaken at the end of the pre-provisional rider-training course.) (Unknown cost)
2. Take another DKT and pay another licensing fee if you pass.

Getting a full rider licence

After you have held your Provisional Rider Licence for 12 months you can upgrade to a full rider’s licence. It is your responsibility to attend a motor registry to have the licence upgraded and a new photo taken.

Trivia: It is required to have either a full motorcycle or full car license before you can pilot a "tricycle", you can however only have passengers if you have a full "motorcycle" license.

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ontario

#15 Unread post by archanis »

this information was found both at my local dmv, and the following website: http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/akol/motor.htm
alaska dmv licence laws wrote:MOTORCYCLE (M1) LICENSE:

An applicant for an original motorcycle license (see below for motor-driven cycle) must be at least 16 years of age and must have held an instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months, if under the age of 18. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain the license.

An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motorcycle license. The license fee is valid for approximately five years. The license expires on your date of birth.

* Written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit or driver license)
* Written motorcycle knowledge test* (or present a valid motorcycle instruction permit)
* Vision test
* Fees
* Motorcycle road test*

*In lieu of the written motorcycle test and the motorcycle road test, an applicant may present a card issued from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation showing they have passed one of the Motorcycle Rider Courses listed below. The course must have been successfully completed within the current or previous calendar year. Courses completed in other states will be accepted as well as those in Alaska; however, you must go to a DMV in person in order to obtain the motorcycle permit.

* Easy Rider Course
* Experienced Rider Course
* Basic Rider Course
* Beginning Rider Course
* Motorcycle Rider Course

MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE (M2) PERMIT:

An applicant for an original motor-driven cycle permit must be at least 14 years of age and must have parental consent to obtain the permit.

An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motor-driven cycle permit.

* Written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit)
* Written motorcycle knowledge test (or present a valid motorcycle instruction permit)
* Vision test
* Fees
* Motorcycle road test

INSTRUCTION PERMIT:

An applicant for an original motorcycle instruction permit must be at least 14 years of age. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain the permit. An applicant is required to furnish two pieces of identification, one to prove date of birth and one to prove identity. Please see the following for a list of acceptable items.

An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motorcycle instruction permit. The permit is valid for two years from the date of issue.

* Written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit or driver license)
* Written motorcycle knowledge test
* Fees
* Vision test

Special Restrictions: The instruction permit is valid only under the following conditions:

* The applicant is eligible for a regular motorcycle or motor-driven cycle permit in every way except for age and/or driving ability.
* The applicant must be under the direct supervision of a person who:

a. is at least 21 years of age

b. has been licensed for that class of motorcycle for at least 1 year.

A motorcycle helmet that meets or exceeds established standards must be worn at all times the applicant, regardless of age, is on the motorcycle or motor-driven cycle.

Rev. 10/12/05
other laws for alaska, such as helmet laws, can be found here: http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... p?state=ak
or you could google it like i did.

note that they make no mention of cost. it costs about 10 bucks to get your original licence, and 40 to add a motorcycle endorcement. at least in my town.
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

DragonSlayer
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by DragonSlayer »

fl motorcycle faq
MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENTS

When do I need a motorcycle endorsement?

If you wish to operate any two or three wheel motorcycle, whose engine is more than 50 cc, you are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver license or a motorcycle-only license.

What are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle endorsement?

1. Hold at least a regular Class E operator's driver license.

2. If under 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues driver licenses.

3. If at least 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues driver licenses OR pass the motorcycle knowledge and skills tests at a driver license office, tax collector office, or third-party tester that offers such tests.

NOTE: Tax collector offices charge an additional $5.25 fee for driver license transactions.

What is a motorcycle Third-Party Tester?

These are FRTP rider course providers who have signed an agreement with the Department to provide the same motorcycle knowledge and/or skill tests as the state. Passing one or both of the tests at their site will waive one or both of the tests at the driver license office when you present the waiver they issue. Fees vary by location.

What if I bring a three-wheel motorcycle or a sidecar motorcycle for my motorcycle skill test?

A variation of the regular skill test is used and you will be restricted to “Three-wheel Motorcycles Only.”

TEMPORARY INSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR MOTORCYCLE OPERATION

What are the requirements for obtaining a Temporary Instruction Permit for Motorcycle Operation?

1. Be at least 21 years old

2. Hold at least a regular operator license (Class E)

3. Pass the motorcycle knowledge test at a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses

The permit will be restricted to “No Passengers” until the motorcycle skill test is passed or a motorcycle safety course is completed and motorcycle endorsement is added to the license.

NOTE: Tax collector offices charge an additional $5.25 fee for driver license transactions.

MOTORCYCLE ONLY LICENSE

What does getting a "Motorcycle Only" driver license involve? Who can get one?

1. Be at least 16 years old, and if under 18, hold a Learner's License for one year with no traffic convictions.

2. Pass the same knowledge test as for a regular Class E operator's driver license.

3. If under 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses.

4. If at least 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses OR pass the motorcycle knowledge and skills tests at a driver license office, tax collector office, or third-party tester that offers such tests.

Your license will be restricted to operating "Motorcycles Only."

Can I upgrade to a regular license later and have the "Motorcycle Only" restriction removed?

Yes, by passing the regular driving test in a regular four-wheel motor vehicle.

MOTORCYCLE RIDER COURSES

What are the BasicRider Course enrollment requirements:

You must hold at least a Learner’s Driver License to enroll in the Basic RiderCourse. Having a basic knowledge of traffic laws, road signs and general “road rules” is an important pre-curser to the rider course.

What about the MSF Experienced RiderCourse Suite?

To enroll in the six-hour ERC Suite to add motorcycle endorsement to your license you must:

1. Be 21 years of age or older

2. Bring your own motorcycle, or bring written permission to use another privately-owned motorcycle

3. Provide your own helmet and protective riding gear

4. Provide proof of liability insurance on the motorcycle brought for the course

In order to receive a knowledge and skills test waiver form, you must pass both the knowledge and skills test provided at the end of the course.

Completion of a basic or experienced rider safety course may entitle a motorcyclist to insurance premium discounts.

Will Florida accept rider course completion cards from out-of-state rider courses or the military and waive testing in Florida to add motorcycle endorsements to existing or first time Florida licenses?

Yes, if the rider course completion card or a certificate of completion indicates that the motorcycle rider course curriculum was sponsored or approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Will other states accept RiderCourse course completion cards issued by Florida schools and waive tests?

Some states will accept the MSF card from Florida’s schools and waive both tests. Some states will waive only the skills test and still some may require full testing anyway. Contact other state’s licensing departments to be certain.

What are the motorcycle helmet requirements in Florida?

Please see motorcycle helmet exemption.

Are you required to wear eye protection to operate a motorcycle? How about as a passenger?

All persons who operate motorcycles must wear eye protection. Passengers should also for safety reasons, but are not required by law to do so.

MILITARY MEMBERS OUTSIDE OF FLORIDA

I am stationed outside of Florida, how can I add a motorcycle endorsement to my Florida license?

1. Complete a military motorcycle rider course or Motorcycle Safety Foundation sponsored rider course and

2. Send a copy of the completion card with $15 and request a duplicate driver license with an endorsement and make the check or money order payable to "DDL” or Division of Driver Licenses

3. Include your name, military mailing address, driver license number and date of birth in your letter

4. Send the letter to: Bureau of Records, PO Box 5775, Tallahassee, FL 32314-5775

What about motorized scooters?

Please see motorized scooters.

Is there a motorized vehicle you can operate on a public roadway in Florida without a driver license?

Yes, if you are at least 16 years old, you may ride a bicycle that is propelled by a combination of human power (pedals) and an electric helper-motor that cannot go faster than 20 mph on level ground. These are exempt from the driver license law definition of motor vehicle and thus do not require a driver license.

INSURANCE FOR MOTORCYCLES

Is insurance required for motorcycles in Florida?

Under certain circumstances Yes. Insurance is not required to register motorcycles as with four-wheel motor vehicles. However, if a motorcycle operator is charged in a crash with injuries, then the owner or owner/operator is financially responsible for bodily injuries and property damage to others. If no liability coverage was in effect, then bodily injury/property damage liability insurance must be purchased and kept for three years to avoid license and tag/registration suspension or to reinstate license and tag/registration after suspension.

What about motorcycle passenger insurance?

If you plan to carry passengers it is a good idea to ask your insurance carrier about the need for carrying passenger insurance coverage.

Is there a minimum age requirement for motorcycle passengers?

Florida law does not address a minimum age for passengers. However, other laws may apply such as endangering a minor.
Fly, you must fly
-Harley Sportster 883 '98

ejshotgun
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by ejshotgun »

Oklahoma Motorcycle Endorsement: OkDriversManual
(this info came from Oklahoma DMV the above address is directly to the Oklahoma Drivers manual)

Motorcycle License;
You must have a valid Oklahoma Class A,B,C or D license.(see Drivers License info below)
Must be at least 16 and pass the Motorcycle Endorsement Test.
This includes vision/written/skills test(there is a seperate manual for motorcycles)OkMotorcycleManual
Driving test must prove you can operate the motorcycle safely. Drivers test may be waved if you have
proof that you completed an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation course
Plus the Bike must have proper licensed/insurance and they will do a safety walk around checking the
tires/lights/brakes.
Helmut is required for anyone under 18.
If you have to take the drivers test it depends on where you get the endorsement on how they conduct it.
when I got mine they followed me and would signal where they wanted me to go. Some places us 2-
way radio

Motorcycle License Permit;
Must be at least 14.
Restricted to a motor scooter or motorcycle w/ a piston displacement of no more than 25cc
May only ride between 4:30a.m. and 9:00p.m.
Can’t carry a passenger.
If the bike is less than 150cc you may not exceed 35mph.
If bike is over 150cc but not larger than 25cc you may drive the posted speed limit w/exception you may
not drive on a highway w/posted minimum speed limit such as an interstate or turnpike.
All of these restrictions lifted when you turn 16 except you must wear a helmet if under 18.
You must be receiving instruction from a parent, legal guardian or any person 21 or older who has a valid
Oklahoma Driver License w/motorcycle endorsement added and who has visual contact w/the
operator.
You must meet the requirements for a regular driver license.
You may take the driving test 30 days after the permit is issued.
Pass the drivers test and the learner’s restriction is removed.
After you have completed an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and you have had your motorcycle permit for 30 days your skill test may be waived.
14-15 year olds must have someone sign paperwork that they are responsible for liability/insurance.

Oklahoma Drivers License info:
Must present primary identifation. This must be an original document. Such as Oklahoma ID/State or City or County issued certified birth certificate/plus there are several others that are ok to bring. Also a secondary Identification also same as above including a Social Security Card.
If under 18 must have proof of enrollment/or excused absence.
Your high school diploma.
Or proof that you have a GED or in the process of getting one or home schooled.
Plus pass a vision/written/driving test.
More detailed info OklahomaDepartmentPublicSafety
'77 KZ1000LTD

Riding again!!

The Grinch
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by The Grinch »

California:

You need an M1 endorsement to ride a motorcycle on the public roads. To get it, you pay $26 and take a 40 question multiple choice written test (passing is 90%) and a riding skills test in a parking lot administered by a DMV employee. If you have a certificate from an MSF basic rider course, the DMV will waive the riding skills test.

You can get a leaner's permit by taking the written test without the riding skills test. The permit is good for one year and is renewable. You can't ride on the freeway, carry a passenger, or ride at night.

There are no equipment restrictions. Complete beginners can, and unfortunately do, ride Hayabusas and other big bikes!

Kim
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by Kim »

Here is the law in Michigan:

To obtain your original motorcycle endorsement, you must pass a:

Special knowledge test at your local Secretary of State branch office, and a
Rider Skills Test offered by an independent testing agency approved by the Secretary of State. (This test is waived for those who pass the motorcycle safety course approved by the Department of State or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.)

If you are age 16 or 17, you are required to take the motorcycle rider safety course and you must present your course completion certificate to the Secretary of State branch office before your motorcycle endorsement will be issued.

If you are age 18 or older, you are not required to take the motorcycle rider safety course unless you twice fail the motorcycle rider skills test.

The tests are waived if you have a valid motorcycle license or endorsement in another state. Contact your local Secretary of State branch office for additional information about testing or the availability of a motorcycle safety course.

Motorcycle Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP)

To obtain a motorcycle temporary instruction permit, you must:

Be at least age 16;
Hold a valid Michigan driver license (or a Michigan driving TIP);
Pay the endorsement fee, and
If you are age 16 or 17, show proof of enrollment in a motorcycle rider safety course or that you already completed the course.

The TIP is valid for 180 days. While driving on the motorcycle TIP, you cannot ride at night, carry passengers, and you must be under the constant visual supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator at least age 18.

The great thing about the temp permit is you can apply for it a second time if necessary.
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

Pennsylvania

#20 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Here's the brief version for Pennsylvania.....
How do I obtain a motorcycle license? What is the process?

A Motorcycle Learner’s Permit Application (Form DL-5) will first need to be completed and, along with the $10.00 fee, taken to a PennDOT Driver License Center for processing. You will be given a vision screening and a motorcycle knowledge test at this time. After passing the knowledge test, the application will be processed and a motorcycle (Class M) learner’s permit issued. The learner’s permit allows you to practice safe operating skills and is valid for one year. When ready to take your skills test, you can either schedule an appointment at one of PennDOT’s Driver License Centers or schedule training through the motorcycle safety program. After the skills test has been passed, a motorcycle (Class M) license will be issued.
The motorcycle safety program listed is the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program (PAMSP) which uses the MSF course as it's guide. For more information and frequently asked questions, follow this link to the PENNDOT FAQ Webpage.

*Edit 02/13/2007* Updated Links and other info:

Here are some links to get you started with motorcycling in Pennsylvania:

Motorcycle Permit Application Process: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/specializedD ... vers.shtml

Permit Process FAQ: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-mcpermit.shtml

Motorcycle Operators Manual: http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/ ... pub147.pdf

PA Motorcycle Safety Program: http://www.pamsp.com/

About the Motorcycle Safety Program: http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/ ... pub146.pdf
Last edited by Scoutmedic on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.