Ladies - Women's first bike choice

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by Skier »

sleepychicken wrote:My wife and I recently got a 250 Ninja and she loves it. She's 5'6" and can ride it and flat-foot it easily. She used to ride cruisers because that's what all of her family had, and she much prefers the little ninja. Here's my intro post with more of the info on our experience with the bike.

viewtopic.php?t=1296
I'm going to have my GF sit on one of those in a dealer after she gets her endorsement. Might have to borrow it for a few jaunts if we end up getting one for her. ;)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

strtchick
Rookie
Rookie

Bikes

#22 Unread post by strtchick »

Went shopping again, and saw a new 2005 blue and white yamaha R6 so nice!:-) i also looked at the Ninja but i think i really want to stay with the R6 the thing is the used bikes are almost the same as the new biked the R6 was like maybe 9 somthing out the door, so i think i will just get a new one :-) .,. the more i go look at them the less intimidating they look
You only live once so enjoy life!

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

Bike shopping

#23 Unread post by chickenhawk »

Which Ninja were you considering? ZX6R?

strtchick
Rookie
Rookie

#24 Unread post by strtchick »

yes the ZX6R it was like a lime green
You only live once so enjoy life!

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

#25 Unread post by chickenhawk »

I'd have a tough time choosing- it'd probably come down to fit and feel of the bike I guess.

Have fun whichever you choose!

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#26 Unread post by Scott58 »

I would recommend the Honda Rebel to anyone. Very light and a good seat height for shorter riders. Excellent local commuter and not bad on the highway with a flyscreen.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#27 Unread post by blues2cruise »

For my first bike I chose a Yamaha V-Star 650. I looked at all the smaller bikes, but because I am tall, I felt squished. As soon as I sat on the V-Star I knew it was for me. The forward controls and the floorboards made it very comfortable for me.
I hired an instructor (who very kindly transported the bike home from the dealer) to learn how to ride my bike.
Once I got past the initial "heaviness" compared to the 250cc's used in classes, I had no problem riding the 650 V-Star.

I think the smartest thing anyone can do is hire an instructor when you are new to riding.

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#28 Unread post by amstaffmom »

I just bought my first bike today!!! I looked and research till I was blue in the face. Went to several shops, several times, and sat on many bikes. I finally fell in love with the a White Suzuki S40. It just felt right! The weight of it and the fact that I can put my feet flat on the ground, being only 5'3" I had to find something for short people. lol! It gets delivered on Wednesday! Can't wait to get it. Even though it will be a little bit before I hit the big roads. Since the only time I've been on a bike was at the MSF course.

Jean

Mennis
Rookie
Rookie

Low Seats

#29 Unread post by Mennis »

Hi
Just a thought - have you tried a Harley 883 or 1200 Sportster - they do a special Lowrider version! And boy is that seat low! I think it is about 25" inside leg! And don't listen or read the crap they say and write - they handle really well and go like stink!!!!!! And do you really want to ride the same as everyone else? I have had custom bikes, sports bikes, and a Harley guess which one I have still got?

Mennis :oops:
Been there done that got the Teeshirt!

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#30 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

I am curious about something. I realize that the majority of riders on this forum are in Canada and overseas where there are different laws to getting a licence apparently. What I was wondering is that everyone always advised me to start no smaller than a 650 minimum because to get out on the highway with less horsepower than that is like trying to commit suicide. I live in the south in the US and the one thing that southerners do fast is drive like bats out of hell. In fact the only people driving slow down here are the Canadians and Yankees :) So I was just wondering why most people on the forum tell new riders to get "small" bikes like 250s. I have only seen 1 250 on the road in all the time I have been riding and it was in town. not out on the highway. I started riding from no motorcycle background at all and no one here to help me (I did take the MSF course, I'm not stupid :)) on an 800. I had a few nerveracking moments, but I love me bike and I am only 5'3 It is a perfect fit hight wise. Not really giving an opinion really, just curious as to why all the recommendations for smaller bikes because you HAVE to have the power to hang with traffic here and a small bike will get you killed just as fast as a more powerfull one, just in a different way.

Thanks
Becca
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!