Why a 600cc Sportbike is not a good Beginner Bike

c-los
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by c-los »

WhyteGryphon wrote:In the hands of a newbie trying to figure out the best reaction to such a scare, a rapid closeoff or a panic brake is often the result and can get you into trouble very, very quickly.
WhyteGryphon wrote:At this speed, you better not panic. If you botch the slowdown from this error (either by a rapid rolloff or a shift), you can find yourself in serious trouble.
Great article! I enjoyed reading and it was really informative. I'm a soon to be beginner in street riding (but been riding dirt bikes since 9 yrs old) and am planning to get a used 250r or ex250.

I quoted a couple of passages from the article because I've read this numerous times now (like at least 4 times) and there seems to be bad consequences when cutting back the throttle completely. What happens when you do this? I've never had a prob with this on dirt bikes... I'm not sure if I've ever really done it but I must've, but then again I don't think I've ever gone past 50 mph on a dirt bike either (even when I ride them on streets :x) Hope you guys can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#12 Unread post by Gadjet »

c-los wrote:
WhyteGryphon wrote:In the hands of a newbie trying to figure out the best reaction to such a scare, a rapid closeoff or a panic brake is often the result and can get you into trouble very, very quickly.
WhyteGryphon wrote:At this speed, you better not panic. If you botch the slowdown from this error (either by a rapid rolloff or a shift), you can find yourself in serious trouble.
I quoted a couple of passages from the article because I've read this numerous times now (like at least 4 times) and there seems to be bad consequences when cutting back the throttle completely. What happens when you do this? I've never had a prob with this on dirt bikes... I'm not sure if I've ever really done it but I must've, but then again I don't think I've ever gone past 50 mph on a dirt bike either (even when I ride them on streets :x) Hope you guys can shed some light on this. Thanks!
One of the biggest differences, especially if you are only used to riding two strokes, is that a four stroke, especially a high compression ratio four stroke (read: Supersport) will have a lot of engine braking. Two strokes have almost no engine braking (they don't slow down much when you snap the throttle shut)

If you are riding at speed on a fourstroke with a high compression ratio and then snap the throttle shut, the resulting engine braking can cause the back tire to suddenly lose traction and break loose on you. The bike wants to keep going, but the back tire wants to slow down right now!!

Because you've just lost traction with the rear wheel, you've probably also lost most of the damping ability of your rear suspension as the back tire skips and bounces around on you.

If you suddenly crack the throttle open again to try to get traction back, you will most likely just spin the back tire and it's going to want to go past the front tire. As soon as it gets traction again it's going to try to snap the bike back into a straight line, most likely sending you over the bike and onto the ground..
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

c-los
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by c-los »

Great explanation, thanks for clearing that up for me!

What is the recovery technique for something like that, though? Is it one of those in-for-the-ride kinda things?

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#14 Unread post by High_Side »

WhyteGryphon wrote:One of the biggest differences, especially if you are only used to riding two strokes, is that a four stroke, especially a high compression ratio four stroke (read: Supersport) will have a lot of engine braking. Two strokes have almost no engine braking (they don't slow down much when you snap the throttle shut)
For an extreme example of this, try it on a big high-compression twin :laughing:

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Gadjet »

c-los wrote:Great explanation, thanks for clearing that up for me!

What is the recovery technique for something like that, though? Is it one of those in-for-the-ride kinda things?
If you can recover quickly enough, you may be able to ease the throttle on in an effort to regain traction at the back wheel without it spinning out on you.

You can also squeeze the clutch in. this will disengage the back wheel from the engine braking, allowing it to spin freely and regain traction. At this point, you should be able to gently apply the brakes and ride it out, as long as the situation that caused you to snap the throttle shut in the first place lets you.

One thing to keep in mind - if the back tire breaks loose on you, your rear brake isn't going to do much of anything to slow you down. If anything, you will be more likely to lock up the back wheel during one of its skips off the pavement. This can very quickly send you crashing to the ground.
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by poppygene »

Supersports have extremely light flywheels, too, which has an effect on the engine's ablity to change speeds rapidly, both accelerating and decelerating. The heavier the flywheel, the more cushion or buffer there will be when rapid changes of throttle occur.

c-los, recovery from a bad rear-wheel skid or spin while leaned over requires a presence of mind that most riders probably don't have. Ask around - lots of riders have experienced a high-side at one time or another, including yours truly. You really have to go against your instincts.

If you're on the rear brake when the rear tire breaks loose, your natural instinct is to let off the brake to regain traction. That would be fine if the wheels were in alignment, but that is rarely the case, so you need to keep the rear wheel sliding until they are. Best thing to do here is to stay hard on the rear brake and slide to a stop, or at least until you get the bike straight up and going in a straight line.

If the rear breaks traction under power, your instinct will tell you to roll off the throttle. Instead, it's best to keep the rear tire spinning until the bike is squared up again, at which point you can slow to a stop and go change your shorts. :wink:

The point is, in either case, a rider needs to avoid regaining traction when the bike is "crossed up," with the wheels pointing in different directions. The laws of physics simply won't allow this and the bike will attempt to stop immediately, and the rider's momentum will throw him over the "High Side."

In case you're wondering, this is one reason why we're so big on safety gear. :wink:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#17 Unread post by High_Side »

poppygene wrote: The point is, in either case, a rider needs to avoid regaining traction when the bike is "crossed up," with the wheels pointing in different directions. The laws of physics simply won't allow this and the bike will attempt to stop immediately, and the rider's momentum will throw him over the "High Side."
Hey are you guys talking about me behind my back????? :laughing:

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by poppygene »

High_Side wrote: Hey are you guys talking about me behind my back????? :laughing:
Well, yeah... in a manner of speaking! :wink: :laughing:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#19 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

WhyteGryphon wrote:
If you are riding at speed on a fourstroke with a high compression ratio and then snap the throttle shut, the resulting engine braking can cause the back tire to suddenly lose traction and break loose on you. The bike wants to keep going, but the back tire wants to slow down right now!!

Because you've just lost traction with the rear wheel, you've probably also lost most of the damping ability of your rear suspension as the back tire skips and bounces around on you.

If you suddenly crack the throttle open again to try to get traction back, you will most likely just spin the back tire and it's going to want to go past the front tire. As soon as it gets traction again it's going to try to snap the bike back into a straight line, most likely sending you over the bike and onto the ground..
In my opinion, I don't exactly agree with this.

Thanks to Poppygene for having a fairly reasonable example, including some realities of situations and riding techniques which can be shared with a beginner rider.

I may write more later, when i have time...

//monkey

*Post edited by mod* - attacking other members opinions isn't exactly constructive now, is it?
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#20 Unread post by Gadjet »

You may not agree with it, but I've seen it happen.
Last edited by Gadjet on Sat May 07, 2005 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953