First post: What's a good, cheaper, vintage cruiser?

skypix
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by skypix »

thanks guys, really helps.

how about throwing the vulcan into the mix? how does it fare?
--Adventure is in the new stuff

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#12 Unread post by liablemtl »

standard vtwin motor... I've never heard anything bad about them. I like the body style.
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Hey this is perfect, Motogirl just gave you some insight on the Virago and here is mine on my V45 magna.

I've owned my 1987 Magna for about a month now and I just took a day trip out to Skyline/Luray area and I got about 47MPG. I also have been commuting on it on a daily basis and I'm averaging around 42-44mpg. The seat is plenty comfortable but I do not believe it is a stock seat. I can't comment on how the stock exhaust sounds like because the previous owner must have drilled out the pipes. I've seen stock exhausts on other magnas online and they differ and from what I've read it is a common mod. With that being said, I like the throaty sound though other opinions may differ.

Also my particular Magna is not really configured for long distant rides. With the 4 exhaust pipes coming up so high, it makes it near impossible to add saddle bags. The 3rd gen Magnas are better suited with the pipes coming much lower.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by skypix »

Motogirl, excuse me, I said thanks guys without noticing your handle. Appreciate the info on the Virago. Thanks sharpmagna for helping me notice that, and for the Magna insights.

sharpmagna, when did the "3rd gen" Magna's begin? Man, I can't believe how much research I want to do, but what I really need to do is go find a dealer somewhere, sit on some bikes and try to get a feel for what's going to work for me. I don't want to bug people with bikes for sale until I know pretty much which model I want.

Would either of the three, Virago, Magna or Vulcan, have an edge riding two up?

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#15 Unread post by sharpmagna »

skypix - I think the 3rd gen Magna started 1994-2003 and they are now discontinued. They may reappear as there were not marketed for 89-93. Be aware that the 3rd Gen Magna is a bit different since it has a 5speed and chain driven while mine is a 6 speed and shaft driven. The powerplants though are very similar and put out similar performance numbers. The V45 Magna is rated at about 80HP so that should be sufficient with 2-up riding though the passenger seat could be better.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by skypix »

thanks supermagna, I just learned the difference in the models on this site, which was posted earlier:

http://www.supermagna.com/html/chronology.htm

I'm kinda stuck on shaft drive, I must admit. The Magna is looking pretty good, but because the 87/88 supers are relatively low production numbers, they're a bit pricier. Plus the upswept pipes, which look very cool but I would like to put some bags. Maybe a rack would help make up the shortfall...but hate to mess with those great lines.

Aesthetically of the bikes I'm zeroing in on, I think the Magna is tops for me. Although I'm bidding on a beautiful, low miles Virago on ebay, just for grins...I'm sure it'll top out higher than I want to go.

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#17 Unread post by Bubba »

Suzuki GS850.
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by skypix »

Bubba, i've got a GS650G now, '82, old and rusty but runs like a top, explodes to life so fast I don't even hear the starter motor, new electrical system, and I love it, it's just not quite big/strong enough for any longer trips.

Isn't the 850 going to be the same short-trip seat? Kinda stiff, like my 650? I've never sat an L model...maybe they're better for trips.

Anybody want to weigh in on a Magna/Virago/GS850GL comparison?

thanks for the thought, I could certainly live with a lower mile 850 if I could find one...they're getting harder to locate.

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#19 Unread post by Bubba »

skypix wrote:Bubba, i've got a GS650G now, '82, old and rusty but runs like a top, explodes to life so fast I don't even hear the starter motor, new electrical system, and I love it, it's just not quite big/strong enough for any longer trips.

Isn't the 850 going to be the same short-trip seat? Kinda stiff, like my 650? I've never sat an L model...maybe they're better for trips.

Anybody want to weigh in on a Magna/Virago/GS850GL comparison?

thanks for the thought, I could certainly live with a lower mile 850 if I could find one...they're getting harder to locate.

"L" is hard on the butt. I rode my GS850 for 65 K miles. Seat is ok because you can move back and forth on it. 850 will run all day with no problems.
As a matter of fact, I still have my old 850 in the garage. Needs work. Want to buy it? :wink:
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by skypix »

:P How much you want for it? What kind of work does it need? I've been meaning to overhaul my 650 cosmetically, got lots of nuts and bolts and stuff for it, never touched it. I just hop on it and ride. 8)