How many drops/crashes while learning?

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by Scott58 »

i never dropped one. I learned in a parking lot by myself at my own pace. no pressure, no one watching. after you build confidence you just tend to go farther and farther from where you start. Pretty soon your 150 miles from home with a big grin on your face.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#32 Unread post by Randy »

I've been riding about a year and half now, and I haven't dropped it yet. I am happy in the thought that if I drop it now, I will probably not be to scared to get back on a bike again. I think if I crashed out in the first week, I may have thought that riding wasn't for me.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#33 Unread post by dr_bar »

Hmmm...

I dropped my first bike, but managed to keep it from going all the way down. I was making a 180 into a gravel driveway at very slow, (crawling) speed.

Complaints about cost??? Try it out in Canada, BC Safety Council has courses, this is from their site...

Course Breakdown

Evening Theory Session (3 hours)
This session must be taken prior to the first practical training session

- Motorcycle and traffic safety issues
- Outline of course
- Review of appropriate riding gear
- Course expectations
- Review of test and licencing procedures
- Course materials

Motorcycles Skills Course (21 hours)
Canada’s most popular motorcycle skills program
  • Basic balance and braking
  • Higher speed steering
  • Low speed control techniques & manoeuvres
  • Motorcycle Inspection (Pre-trip)
  • Clutch and throttle control
  • Emergency response techniques(braking & swerving)
  • Defensive riding tactics, traction and control, special riding situations (Theory)

Maximum of five students per instructor
Upon successful completion of practical training and Motorcycle Skills Assessments, the supervision and speed restriction may be removed from your Learner’s Permit by ICBC
Riding safely in urban traffic is your next goal after developing control skills. Urban traffic is complex and in a constant state of change. Taking our Motorcycle Traffic Skills Course will provide an opportunity to apply the riding tactics, knowledge of traffic law and other information taught during the Motorcycle Skills Course in a traffic environment.

Length: 24 hours over 4 days
Member Fee: n/a
Non-Member Fee: $495.00 + TAXES[/i]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#34 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I took the course before I purchased my bike. The cost for the course was $575.00 CDN. There are no government sponsored courses here.

I haven't dropped my bike, although I came close right after I bought it. I got off the bike without putting the kickstand down. :oops: I managed to keep it from falling and wow did it teach me a lesson.

Telesque
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#35 Unread post by Telesque »

blues2cruise wrote:I took the course before I purchased my bike. The cost for the course was $575.00 CDN. There are no government sponsored courses here.

I haven't dropped my bike, although I came close right after I bought it. I got off the bike without putting the kickstand down. :oops: I managed to keep it from falling and wow did it teach me a lesson.
That's a pretty quick one to learn. :)
-'95 Honda VT600CD / 'Shadow VLX Deluxe'
-'84 Ruestman WTF606

"[The four stroke] cycle is basically this -SUCK, SQUEEZE, BURN, and BLOW." -Dan's Motorcycle Repair Guide.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#36 Unread post by Digginit »

In 24 years I never dropped one...lol...until I bumped into the back of my kid's 4-wheeler recently. What a fu(%ing idiot I felt like. BUT.....I can pick up my Wide Glide without assistance....lol. Complacency?

Peace~
linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

kentuckyfried
Rookie
Rookie

#37 Unread post by kentuckyfried »

Let me just say this:

Have you ever walked through a doorway, and accidentally brushed your arm against something, scratching off a small bit of skin?

Now imagine doing the same on pavement, except at 20 mph.

Please, please do yourself a favor and get the proper gear (a jacket, preferably leather, leather gloves, and at least wear some thick jeans).
I've read elsewhere that it's quite amazing, the amount of blood that comes gushing out of the hands when one decides to use them when thrown off a bike.

kainthedragoonx wrote:I have not taken the class yet as most of the courses are full until September, and I do not have gloves yet.

I figured I should take the dive instead of hitting the parked car, so I did.

So you think a parking lot would be the best place to start? I figured a low to no traffic street would be just as good.

Dirtytoes
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

dad

#38 Unread post by Dirtytoes »

kentuckyfried wrote: Please, please do yourself a favor and get the proper gear (a jacket, preferably leather, leather gloves, and at least wear some thick jeans).
I've read elsewhere that it's quite amazing, the amount of blood that comes gushing out of the hands when one decides to use them when thrown off a bike.
during my 1st crash, i got thrown off the bike and were pretty much on my hands the whole time as i started scraping them against the ground, i had carbon fiber gloves on so my hands didn't get a scratch on them by the right glove ripped apart.......i'm so glad i had my $50 gloves on! :mrgreen:
You only live once, abuse it!

and Live Life For Today As Tomorrow May Never Come --BadAss

[img]http://www.MegaShare.com/images/images/553227170/humor00180.gif[/img]

Bikes:
2005 Ninja 500 (sold)
2001 CBR 600 F4i (current stunt/commuter)

Mustang
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#39 Unread post by Mustang »

Ditto ditto ditto on the safety course recommendations. If theres another school offering similar safety course that'll get your license and a deduction on the insurance, take it!

Understanding that it'll be very hard to <b>not</b> ride the bike, you have to get any of the books recommended and wear protective gear. Thats crucial!!!!

Just as an example of how much the safety course will help, I consider myself a decent driver with average response skills but I've managed to put over 5,000 miles in on a motorcycle and haven't had any kind of spill or accident. This isn't down to luck but what I learned at the course and whats been re-enforced riding with friends (seasoned riders) who also took refresher courses.

Bear in mnd though there are two types of riders, those that have laid their bikes down and those that are going too :lol: :lol:
[b]Other Daily Reads[/b]
[url=http://bikerdiaries.blogspot.com/]Biker Diaries[/url]
[url=http://www.clutchandchrome.com]Clutch and Chrome[/url]
[url=http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/index.php]The motorcycle Forum[/url]

Itzamna
Legendary
Legendary

#40 Unread post by Itzamna »

I dropped mine a couple times while learning. My Nighthawk was 540 lbs dry weight and when it leaned over too much, it was going over. But they were never while riding, always while moving it or something like that.

My SV's been dropped a couple times but not by me. One friend backed into with his GSXR, still don't know how he couldn't tell he was backing into the side of my bike.
Brian

'03 Suzuki SV1000