1994 Suzuki intruder electrical problems

fra88777
Rookie
Rookie

1994 Suzuki intruder electrical problems

#1 Unread post by fra88777 »

I have a 1994 Suzuki intruder 800. I have been having an electrical problem. When I go to start the bike as soon as i hit the starter there is a clicking noise coming from the ignition system area and all power just shuts off completely. I have already replaced the ignition system and am still having the same problem. I can literally shake the bike and the power will switch on.

The guys at the shop said it could be the solenoid which has been on there since i bought it. I ordered a new one and am going to try replacing it and seeing what happens. This bike is my only transportation, which has always been fun but its a real hassle right now.

Does anyone have any input on what they think it could be and if the solenoid could be the problem. Any input would be a help. This problem has been re-accuring and has been very frustrating. Thanks.

fra88777
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by fra88777 »

This sounds a lot like what is going on with my bike ( viewtopic.php?t=22324&highlight=solenoid ). I have taken it to a few different shops and none of them have actually fixed the problem, just made it run.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

It sounds like your battery may be bad. Do you have, and can you use a voltmeter?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

fra88777
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by fra88777 »

I don't have one no. The battery should be fine though i replaced it not too long ago. My thoughts were that it was something to do with a connection or the solenoid itself. I was told the clicking noise was the breaker getting kicked. Still not sure though ill have to see if replacing the solenoid does anything. I need to check all the connections while i do that too i think. Thank you much for your input. - Forest

fra88777
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by fra88777 »

Does anyone agree with this, its the answer i got from someone at allexperts.com.

Forest,

it sounds like your circuit breaker is faulty.
-A red wire goes to it on one side, that is the
battery power. On it's other side is a red/white
wire which leads back to your fuse panel.

-That circuit breaker is probably what is
making the clicking sound.

-Check around behind the fuse panel
for a little box with a red and red/white
wire coming out. It might have a red reset
button on it.
Reset or replace it and then make sure
your fuses are still okay as well.

-always make sure the battery cables are tight
on these bikes, they tend to loosen and
cause weird problems.
-make sure your battery is charged up
and it may still need the new solenoid
if it kicks the breaker when starting.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by coffee_brake »

My first bike was a '94 Intruder 800 and it had a terrifying glitch that would cut power and kill the bike (on a curve in the dark on a mountain with no shoulder and no streetlights, for a rank scared newbie). It turned out to simply be an electrical connection under the seat. Later on, the connection at the battery was also loose and I didn't understand why the bike was leaving me on the side of the road. This "click and won't start" definately sounds like a connection, since you say the battery is new. You've maintained the water level in the battery cells, right?
Always, start with the simple and free checks. In this case, the connections. Get your manual (I like Clymers), check the connections to the battery, starter, and ignition. Yeah, and circuit breaker. Also, you could put the battery on the charger to see if it simply ran down. Then, move on to considering replacing more parts.

Finally...find another shop and get a second opinion. Throwing the parts cannon at this problem without checking the simple stuff is plain dishonest and ugly. If that is, in fact, the case. Sounds so.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

Shake the bike and you get power all of a sudden? It almost has to be a bad connection from the sound of it. Check everything, all you just replaced and especially anything you didn't replace. Hopefully it is a bad connection and easy to find. Grounds are especially finicky, they can seem tight but a little corrosion under the connector can raise bloodly hell with continuity and really mess with operation.

It could be a wire that has broken inside the insulation someplace, and they are a blitch to track down. With luck the break will be just past a connector someplace, rather than in the middle of a long run of wire. If you can, test continuity of each wire both as it sits and when you are gently tugging and moving the wire.

If you absolutely can't find a bad wire or connection, then it's time to look at individual components and test each one in the system. Test them, shake them, re-test them, test them hot, cold and any other way you can think of.

Good luck tracking it down, it can be a real PIA sometimes.

..... it's been awhile since I said it, but...... I Hate Electricity!!!! :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

fra88777
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by fra88777 »

Thanks so much guys. I will take the advice and report back. I already bought the solenoid so ill just put that on anyways, might as well. I will make SURE to get the shop guys to check all connections before replacing any parts. I think i will go to a different place too i feel like they are being lazy and not wanting to try the simple things and instead wanting to replace expensive parts. Thanks guys, i will report back after i try some things. Peace.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#9 Unread post by ofblong »

lol I just had a problem this past summer with this. Ended up being the positive terminal wire came loose so it was sometimes making sometimes not. Tightened the bolt down and whala no more problems until last week when I found I have a bad spark plug wire draining my battery down.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Good on ya FRA...don't be afraid to get in there and start checking connections yourself. The Intruder is a remarkably durable and simple bike. Oh, do I have stories of what I unintentionally did to that poor machine and it STILL ran great all the time...I bet if you can meet some other riders and find some good folks to run with, bikers tend to help out other bikers.

Ofblong---bad plug wire draining the battery? I have never heard of this. How does something like this happen? Could you tell us more about this?
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750