To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Jack of the Green? Who's That?

#31 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just wanted to lay out a quick apology for my general absence this summer. As stated above, we've really been out and about this summer and that combined with the death of my laptop and our scaling back of internet service has resulted in very little internet trawling in general. With the summer coming to a close I hope to spend some more time contributing to the forums, though, so hopefully you'll see my name a little more often.

A couple updates -- still haven't upgraded our bikes, but it's still something we're considering. It's sorta been placed on hold though because we upgraded our entire camping outfit! (-: Traded in the Kia for a Durango 4.7L, sold the pop-up camper from the Mill Hollow pics, and bought a 24' Kit Companion travel trailer. We only got to take it out once this season before the weather cooled too much for camping, but next summer we intend to haul that beast all over the western US with the kids. Between those trips, of course, we'll be racking up the miles on the bikes too. I think the Vegas trip will become a yearly tradition.

Of course, with the addition of the Durango to our stable my passion for recreation has my gaze casting about in a few new directions. I think I may take up snowmobiling this winter -- Carrie's family used to do quite a bit of that and we can get our hands on a couple of sleds fairly easily. And I think it's only a matter of time before we lay hands on either a pair of wave runners or a jet/jazz boat, can't decide which. Any thoughts?

I'll make it a point to cruise back through the Cool Wall submissions I missed and put in my two cents over the next few days, and we're hoping to get back in on The Riding Game soon. Until then, thanx for putting up with my absence and I truly do apologize. You'll see me more often from here on out I think. And if you're new to TMW and I missed your introduction post, thanx for becoming a member and welcome to the community. You won't find a better bunch of MC enthusiasts anywhere on the web.

Happy riding!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#32 Unread post by blues2cruise »

JackoftheGreen

#33 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I'll definitely nail the current challenge if I get the chance Blues. It's been a couple weeks of poor weather here in Utah, which was quite a shame since Carrie and I have been 'forcibly unemployed' since Oct 1 thanx to the dickering in Washington. Now that there's sun streaming in through my kitchen window, it looks like we get to go back to work. Bittersweet going both ways.

Just wanted to share a quick story from our Vegas trip earlier this summer, I wonder if anyone else has found themselves thinking this same thing...

On the way home from Vegas, Carrie and pulled into Mesquite, NV to tuck into one last gambling buffet. We'd been riding a couple hours or so, through some pretty strong desert wind that was both hot AND sandy, it was better than 100 degrees and we'd spent the previous night putting Fremont Street to bed. So it's safe to say that, although our spirits were high, the same could not necessarily be said for our dispositions. Not that we were grumpy, mind you, just weary.

Well, after putting away some breakfast we pulled into a gas station to fill up. Now, we're both riding chromed cruisers, we're both wearing leather chaps, vests and gloves, and we're both wearing our bulky bootie-kicking boots. I don't wanna say we were the cliche' biker couple on a hot day in Nevada, but there you are...

Anyway, while we're filling up (at almost five bucks a gallon too, crooks!) we're approached by an older gentleman in a suit and tie and a Jewish accent so thick I can barely understand him, and this guy's got a story to tell! I only caught about a third of what he was saying, but it was all about some time he met a guy at an airport who took him on the back of a bike and ended up running from some cops during the ride. I'm trying to pay attention to his story while keeping an eye on my wife and filling my tank, which we all know is a chore that demands your attention, and this guy has absolutely NO inkling of anyone elses priorities. Couldn't get a word in edgewise, and it was obvious this guy was more interested in having an excuse to tell his story than ask me for any of mine. And I found myself thinking the most curious thought...

I'm glad we motorcycle enthusiasts are cultivating a better public image, but honestly, I wish THIS GUY thought we were all still gun toting sociopaths with heroine in our veins. Maybe then I wouldn't have gas all over my paint.

blues2cruise

#34 Unread post by blues2cruise »

When you're on a road trip and you're from out of state or country....people always want to co me and chat. It's part of the enjoyment of travelling.

He was probably a lonely old guy who wanted to talk and the bikes gave him an opportunity to talk to someone.

You probably did a great thing by giving him a bit of your time. :)

JackoftheGreen

#35 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Carrie and I took what I sure hope wasn't the last ride of 2013, but sure might have been. We went in search of Fall leaves, but I think we missed the boat on that one unless we scoop them off the ground. (-: I wore a balaclava under my helmet for the first time this ride, and let me tell you it was AMAZING! The extra padding alleviated the 'hot spots' inside my helmet, kept my face and neck warm and, pleasure of pleasures, tamed my hair so the end of my ponytail wasn't whipping around in my face. If you've ever had your face whipped mercilessly by your hair, I can't recommend the balaclava enough. Lucky me, Carrie knits, so I'm going to have her make me a real lightweight one for the summer. It'll be great. She's also going to make me a big braided novelty beard that will button to the balaclava, just a goofy little adornment I think will be a lot of fun. Pictures will be in order of course.

I'm going to add this post to my blog as well, please forgive the double-posting. Happy riding!

JackoftheGreen

CatCrap!!

#36 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Something I forgot to mention!!

We bought one of those little tubs of CatCrap anti-fogging stuff from Amazon last year, and since then haven't had much occasion to use it. We used it today though for one of the first times, and it performed amazingly well. Carrie wears a full face helmet with a chin bar, while I wear a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield, and despite those helmets and both of us wearing masks (1/2 face mask for Carrie, full balaclava for me) we experienced not a bit of fog on our shields while under way. They fogged just barely while sitting still, which dissipated immediately as soon we started moving again. If you're a cold weather rider and have a tough time keeping your face shield clear, that stuff while work wonders.

Rubiadiabla
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2014 CTX 1300,2012 Ninja 650

#37 Unread post by Rubiadiabla »

Saw this on our way home today. Can we say die hard? 28 degrees outside, plus the snow and did anyone happen to notice the set of crutches strapped to the pillion? Lol love it
20131214_133342.jpg
20131214_133342.jpg (282.95 KiB) Viewed 147540 times
'Well behaved women seldom make history.' -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

JackoftheGreen

#38 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

A damn fine looking Shadow it was too.

JackoftheGreen

#39 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

This is Mini and Cooper, our orange-cheeked Zebra Finches.
IMAG0064.jpg
These don't have names yet. (-:
IMAG0072.jpg

blues2cruise

#40 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!