How many times have you dropped your bike?

How many times did you drop your bike in your first year of riding?

None. I was lucky!
36%
Once
19%
Twice
8%
Three times
19%
Four times
3%
Oh, god... lots of times!
14%

Total votes: 36

LennyB
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

How many times have you dropped your bike?

#1 Unread post by LennyB » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:02 am

I'm just starting out, and after a response to my last posting (re: buying Monster S2R), I thought it'd be interesting to get a sense of how common it is for noobs to drop their bikes. What was YOUR first year of riding like?

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#2 Unread post by TechTMW » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:07 am

I dropped it twice in the first year - But neither time on the road.

The first time I was practicing riding in a sandy lot (Just to get a feel for different conditions) and the bike slid out and tipped over. But it was sand, so no damage.

The second time, I parked the bike in the Yard on the centerstand. It rained overnight, and the centerstand had sunk into the mud and the bike fell over. Mildly bent handlebar. :roll:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: currently looking for new

#3 Unread post by Gadjet » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:25 am

Three times for me, all within the first month. Thanks to the engine guards on my bike at the time, there was no damage from any of the drops.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
IBA#20953

Keyoke
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha TDM

#4 Unread post by Keyoke » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:56 pm

Hmmm... current and previous bike - nil. Before that, well, it depends if you mean just dropped, or crashed. i've only "properly" crashed the twice. However, i have dropped a bike, and thrown tem to floor more times tan i care to count in the past!
Don't give up.

Not now, not soon, not after being continually knocked down.

If you never give up, you can never truly fail.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/keyoke/Ultima-Dragon-Animated.gif[/img]

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by Mag7C » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Well let's see if I can remember... I ran into the back of my neighbor's parked truck... went over the bars at the bottom of the hill by my house... crashed into my brother during a group ride... and many many others.

So I don't ride a bicycle anymore. On the motorcycle I tipped 3 times, all in the first few months. Once at a stopsign because of gravel. Once making a u-turn. Also because of gravel. And once trying to stop with a nonworking rear brake in a lane covered with gravel. That last one hurt. Stay away from gravel! Inexperience was a factor too. Haven't dropped my current bike at all though, and I've done 8,000 miles on it so far.

My advice is buy a cheap beater, ride it for 6 months every chance you get in any weather (barring iced roads), and then buy your dream machine. Make sure you buy one with working brakes though...

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#6 Unread post by flynrider » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:11 pm

It was 26 yrs. ago, but I seem to remember about 4 drops in the 1st year. That was pretty common for noobs back then. We didn't have MSF courses and had to learn from our mistakes.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad 1700 / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3

#7 Unread post by ZooTech » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:06 pm

None. But you can keep the "lucky" part.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by ronboskz650sr » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:25 pm

Once at 0 mph, on grass...hit a tree root in a figure eight in the back yard. No big woop. Once I walked away from my parked bike and heard it tip as the side stand sunk in to the gras in the front yard...missed the little rock I thought I put it over (duh!). Both in the first two weeks after I returned from a 30 year break. Never dropped as a teen, but hit a tree once on a trail at a pretty low speed...two up.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#9 Unread post by Ninja Geoff » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:22 pm

Been down many many times. Good thing rocks don't hurt as much as pavement... Oh wait, yes, they do :frusty: . At least they slow you down quick. Most of the time though it's on real tricky parts of a trail and i goose the throttle too much when navigating tree roots and such.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Sculelos
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Sculelos » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:10 pm

2 Times.

First Time was at a stoplight and I applied my front brake and throttle at same time, I slid over, broke a turn signal and got very minor scraps.

Second time was going 45MPH and saw a green light go to red, grabbed my breaks, wheels locked up and I hit the pavement, my right leg got bruised a decent amount, all of this happened in mid Augest-Early September, fortinitly I am fully recovered and still riding, alough more skilled and carefull now, I still am only on my 2nd month of riding.

renoob
Rookie
Rookie

#11 Unread post by renoob » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:45 pm

Actually, I never did drop my bike while it was moving. Put a hell of a dent in the side of the tank once when I was walking it out of the garage and slipped in a wet spot. Brand new tank too.

I am about to start riding again after nothing but four or more wheelers for quite a while. I kinda expect my perfect record to go down the toilet within the next few months.

PK
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by PK » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:29 pm

I spent some time practising low speed turns in a large deserted parking lot.
Later I decided to perfect my new found skill on a small deserted road.
Tried a low speed U and hit the far curb. Smashed my windshield, indicator light and tore some leg muscles. That was 2 weeks ago in my 4th month of riding.

MarkyPancake
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by MarkyPancake » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:54 pm

Once only and thankfully not while riding.

I was pushing my first bike up our driveway, which is on a slope, and stepped on some loose gravel and slipped on it due to the weight of the bike. I managed to lay it down gently though, and not drop it, without any damage at all.

Thankfully no laying down or drops of my second bike.

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#14 Unread post by CNF2002 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:34 pm

It hasn't happened yet but I'm really excited.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

Skier

#15 Unread post by Skier » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:16 pm

ZooTech wrote:None. But you can keep the "lucky" part.
Seconded.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

jayhawk
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by jayhawk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:11 am

None yet, but it's not a year yet and I'm really a returning rider (after 40 Years!). I purposely bought used bike because I thought I might put a few scrapes on a new one but this old one is so nice that I have been careful not to. Been continuing to do lots of practicing in big open spaces and riding when traffic is sparse.

4Thrillz
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2019 scrambler

Re: How many times have you dropped your bike?

#17 Unread post by 4Thrillz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 pm

Maaan I dropped my brand new bike for the third time over a period of about 7mths... The 1st, minimal damage/repaired, improper swerve, high sided, but held on to the bike and slammed to the ground saving the bike by holding it off the ground sacrificing my body. 2nd time no damage just easing into intersec traffic leaving inclined plaza driveway, I'm short, feet didn't catch when stopping in the wrong spot avoiding car jetting into my line..."3rd" time no damage, just a small scratch on my bar end mirror connection. It really messed me up psychologically. It just happened soo yeah... Left turn, two lane, was about to miss turn, tried to catch turn, from fast to slow too quick messed up my momentum, too slow went over on left side being a light lay down, held it up until the last moment, hopped up put it in gear rolled to the side of the road and checked for damage, none, mirror, shifter, clutch good(whew). Jumped back on and rode away no issues with the bike. Me on the other hand, dropping does not feel good at all. I'm just really disappointed. How to shake it off mentally?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#18 Unread post by blues2cruise » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:21 pm

I dropped my first bike due to not paying attention. I forgot to put the kickstand down. It was loaded for a road trip, so let it ease down to ground. It was too heavy to hold it up.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda ST 1300

#19 Unread post by faded sun » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:01 am

When you ride a bike as heavy as an ST 1300 Honda you are going to drop it at some point. Not riding it. But in the parking lot or at the gas station. Where there are bound to be LOTS of witnesses. Since riding ST's I have dropped mine at least 4 times. Not crashes. Just tip overs. Before that I only dropped one of 6 bikes once.

So I guess 5.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#20 Unread post by blues2cruise » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Better a tip over than a crash.