POWER, TUNED TO PERFECTION.
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX:
449ccs of finely-tuned engineering, the cross-country dominating Yamaha YZ450FX with electric start and the Yamaha power tuner app – so you can dial in to victory.
Same DNA as the class‑leading YZ450F, with a bigger fuel tank, electric start and power tuner smartphone app that lets you adjust your bike’s settings to your specific style and conditions.
For 2019, the reworked YZ450FX adopts all of the latest upgrades found on the YZ450F motocrosser, including the advanced frame, suspension, engine and electronics-including Yamaha’s exclusive Power Tuner smartphone app-with changes designed specifically for the needs of cross-country/woods competitors.
POWER TUNER APP
Yamaha’s exclusive Power Tuner app puts the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fueling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike via the onboard Wi-Fi system for the ultimate in track-side tuning.
A high-compression cylinder head, forged piston, aggressive cam profiles, cylinder geometry and much more work together to give YZ450FX riders the ideal power spread in challenging XC racing conditions.
The YZ450FX features a bilateral-beam aluminum frame focused on rigidity, durability and bump absorption, while class-leading KYB suspension with speed-sensitive damping provides exceptional handling, cornering feel and straight-line confidence.
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- GNCC®/Hare Scrambles Focused Racer
All new for 2019, YZ450FX™ is based on Yamaha’s flagship motocross model—the YZ450F—with many added features and unique settings that make the YZ450FX the ultimate GNCC®/Woods racer.
- Yamaha Power Tuner App
Yamaha’s exclusive Power Tuner app puts the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR® Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fueling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike via the onboard WiFi system for the ultimate in track-side tuning.
- Electric Starter System
Utilizing a compact starter motor and ultra-lightweight lithium battery, the YZ450FX maintains the convenience of push-button starting, for effortless restarts under pressure, and relaxed riding when the clock isn’t ticking.
- Potent Fuel-Injected Engine
A high-compression cylinder head, forged piston, aggressive cam profiles, cylinder geometry and much more work together to give YZ450FX riders the ideal power spread in challenging GNCC® racing conditions.
- Advanced Alloy Frame
Yamaha’s bilateral beam aluminum frame features main spars, FX-specific engine mounts and an engine mounting position that centralizes mass and provides an ideal balance between cornering feel and straight-line confidence.
- Class-Leading Suspension
Yamaha uses KYB® spring-type forks on all of our YZ® models, with industry leading function and easy set-up at the track—these fork are ready for the top step of the podium straight out of the box.
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
NEW FOR 2019
- Latest-generation YZ450F engine
- Yamaha Power Tuner app
- New electric starter system
- Engine map selector switch with two maps
- Optimized ECU settings for XC racing
- New air filter
- New fuel tank and fuel pump
- Lithium ion battery
- New muffler
- Yamaha Power Tuner app
- Cross-country-focused settings
- “Reversed” rearward-slanted engine design with 4-valve cylinder head (titanium valves)
- Forward-mounted fuel injection and rear-exiting “wrap around” exhaust
- Electric starting
- 5-speed, wide-ratio transmission
- Bilateral-beam aluminum frame
- YZ-based, fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 18-inch rear wheel
- Adjustable handlebar
- Reversed, liquid-cooled, 449 cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), fuel injected, single-cylinder engine.
- Electric starting.
- super convenient electric starting means faster re-starts and significantly reduced rider fatigue
- compact electric starter powered by a lightweight lithium ion battery
- Kick starter removed
- New, high-torque-type starter motor adopted for 2019
- “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
- FI throttle body and air box are front-mounted, providing a straight intake path
- straight shot intake path provides optimum fuel / air / exhaust flow for excellent power
- front-mounted intake keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense and increases power)
- Rearward-slanted, reversed cylinder design centralizes mass.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis, centralizing mass for light, agile handling
- Revised, 4-valve cylinder head features a new 12.8:1 compression ratio.
- compact combustion chamber provides optimum combustion speed while also reducing heat and power losses
- 4-valve design offers optimum flow for excellent power and torque
- 37 mm titanium intake valves and 30.5 mm titanium exhaust valves
- Lightweight titanium valves use load-reduced oval valve springs.
- titanium reduces reciprocating weight and allows for a higher rpm limit (40% lighter than steel valves)
- reduced friction (load reduced) valve springs
- High-lift intake and exhaust cams and valve springs.
- intake and exhaust cam profiles and cam timing optimized for increased power output
- Lightweight titanium valves.
- titanium valves reduce weight and improve performance… titanium valves are 40-45% lighter than steel valves
- reduced valve weight improves valve train reliability and longevity
- reduced reciprocating weight allows for a higher rpm limit and better control of the valves
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance and mechanical engine noise
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses
- Lightweight, ceramic composite-plated “liner-less” aluminum cylinder.
- reduced weight (no sleeve or heavy liner); plating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block
- ceramic coating ensures faster, more uniform heat dissipation
- ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
- Cylinder is offset relative to the crankshaft (to exhaust side).
- reduces frictional losses between piston and cylinder wall during the power stroke
- Cylinder “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway)
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- Crankcase also utilizes special cutaways.
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- crankcase cutaways match cylinder cutaways for maximum efficiency
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston and piston pin.
- lightweight design means faster throttle response and reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- DLC (diamond-like coating) on piston pin and special coating on piston skirt reduces frictional losses
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the cylinder, rod and underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability
- Carburized connecting rod for excellent durability.
- carburization is a type of heat treating that adds strength and hardness
- Lightweight gear driven balancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and reduces rider fatigue
- Updated clutch with quick-access magnesium outer cover and on-the-fly barrel adjuster.
- quick-access outer cover provides fast and easy clutch access
- light lever pull for reduced hand fatigue during a long moto
- combination of friction plates changed
- pressure plate redesigned for improved clutch feel
- clutch lever load reduced
- works-style, race-spec barrel adjuster for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
- 5-speed transmission with 2-bar, floating shift guide system and 14 mm shift shaft.
- gears are wide to match engine power
- floating shift guide system provides smooth, positive shifts
- 14 mm shift shaft provides good durability in the event of a crash
- Lightweight, 44 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- 12-hole injector maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion and excellent power delivery
- FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel ? air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude
- other benefits include excellent throttle response and starting
- cold start knob (FID) doubles as an idle adjuster
- New Smartphone-based, wireless, Power Tuner app.
- super convenient, smartphone based Power Tuner
- no “hard” link required between the unit and smartphone… wireless signal via Wi-Fi
- app is free and will work with either iOS or Android platforms
- receiving communication control unit (CCU) is located under left side cover of bike
- adjustment range includes 16 settings for both fuel injection duration and ignition timing
- real-time machine monitoring function (engine rpm, throttle angle, battery voltage, coolant temp, intake air temp, outside air pressure, etc.)
- new maintenance function allows user to track hours of use for scheduled maintenance
- race log function is available to record and save settings from various tracks
- tuning maps and race logs can be shared
- New engine map selector with handlebar switch.
- Two maps are initially set for standard and low speed
- Maps can be modified using the Power Tuner app
- Forward mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- No tools required to access air filter
- new airbox cover with single, quick-release fastener
- revised, washable dual-stage air filter
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier and faster oil changes)
- oil volume is optimized to reduce oil related drag and weight
- Easy-access “cartridge-type” oil filter for fast, easy oil changes.
- single-core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency
- Updated radiator with increased core size.
- Core size increased by 12 cm2
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at any rpm
- Lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system.
- muffler derived directly from YZ450F
- sound output is 94 dB, meeting MRC and AMA regulations
- new rubber muffler-mounting system reduces vibration and improves durability
- Launch Control System (LCS).
- provides smoother, quicker starts with less wheel spin and front wheel lift
- allows rider to concentrate on clutch control, body position and machine
- system functions in 1st and 2nd gears only and is disabled when the bike is shifted into 3rd
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- ECU controls the system and adjusts engine rpm to limit wheel spin and wheelies
- activation button is on the LHS handlebar and features a LED indicator light
- Special “G” sensor system.
- shuts down fuel injection system if bike lies on its side for more than 10 seconds
- helps prevent costly engine damage
- no special procedure to re-start the bike… just hit the electric start button and go!
- Compact, lightweight bilateral-beam aluminum frame from latest-generation YZ450F.
- centralizes mass for exceptional handling and manoeuvrability
- frame offers an optimum balance between strength, rigidity and tuned flex, plus excellent shock-absorbing and traction qualities
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for optimum suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction and control
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- reduces cost in the event of a loop-out
- Adjustable 48 mm inverted Kayaba fork derived from latest-gen YZ450F
- speed-sensitive damping provides exceptional balance between handling and bump absorption
- 310 mm (12.2 in.) of wheel travel
- suspension settings specific to cross-country racing
- front fork adjustments include 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through GYPA
- damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air and oil chambers)
- helps prevent aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities
- the inner damper is pressurized, eliminating bubbles forming in the oil
- Transfer Control Valve (TCV) offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”
- Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- self-supporting design reduces friction for smoother fork operation
- YZ450F-based KYB linkage-type rear suspension with 318 mm (12.5 in.) of wheel travel.
- shock valving and damping characteristics specially tuned for XC racing and new chassis
- separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock is in line with the centre axis of the frame for excellent control
- adjustability includes spring preload, low- and high-speed compression damping, and rebound damping
- 270 mm floating front “wave-style” disc and compact Nissin twin piston caliper.
- wave disc design reduces weight and improves cooling
- aggressive brake pad material offers excellent braking performance
- Shorty-style adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc and single piston Nissin caliper and master cylinder.
- Rear caliper and lower portion of the wave disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- heat-resistant rear rotor enhances brake durability
- Larger plastic-resin 8.2-litre fuel tank with compact in-tank electric fuel pump.
- larger tank accommodates longer distances
- tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
- Lightweight, high-strength, tapered aluminum handlebar.
- adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30 mm (1.2 in) suits a wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber-mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Handlebar mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Compact bodywork with embedded graphics.
- Narrow bodywork design optimizes rider mobility and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ450FX
- flat design allows for fast, easy rider movements and a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the body work looking good longer (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds and will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- provides easy rider movements
- non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Lightweight D.I.D. front and rear rims.
- stylish blue colour creates up-spec vibe
- light design reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling
- excellent strength and durability due to cross-sectional rim design
- rear hub features second bearing on sprocket side for increased rigidity and durability
- Lithium ion battery.
- lightweight, compact battery and under-seat, lightweight composite battery box
- special battery management system (BMS) with “self-protection” mode both monitors and maintains battery condition
- Lower engine guard redesigned for improved protection
- Chain dimension reduced for weight reduction
- Lighweight aluminum kick stand modified for weight reduction
- Heavy duty plastic engine skid plate
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage
- Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and helps protect rear sprocket
- Easy-access Yamaha Diagnostic tool connector
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9499 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $10899 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See Dealer for Pricing in AU
Engine Type 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 97.0mm × 60.9mm
Compression Ratio 12.8:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
Transmission Constant-mesh wide-ratio 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork;
fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21
Tires / Rear 120/80-18
L x W x H 85.6 in x 32.5 in x 50.0 in
Seat Height 37.6 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.2°
Trail 4.6 in
Fuel Capacity 2.2 gal
Wet Weight 256 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|97 x 60.8 mm|
|Mikuni 44mm throttle body F.I.|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Wide ratio, constant mesh 5-speed, wet multi-plate clutch|
|“O” ring chain|
|Adjustable 48mm inverted KYB fork / 310 mm (12.2 in.) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable linkage-type / 318 mm (12.5 in.) wheel travel|
|270 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper|
|245 mm, disc / single piston caliper|
|2175mm (85.6 in.)|
|825 mm (32.5 in.)|
|1270mm (50.0 in.)|
|1,480 mm (58.3 in.)|
|320 mm (12.6 in.)|
|955 mm (37.6 in.)|
|8.2 litres (1.8 Imp. gal.)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
2019 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).