THE BIKE FOR ALL REASONS.
2020 Yamaha WR450F:
This off‑road bike offers enhanced performance to make this aggressive trail machine much closer to its YZ and FX brothers.
The WR450F is based on the latest-generation YZ450F motocross platform. Linear, tractable power, pinpoint handling, proven Yamaha reliability and YZ-derived performance make the new WR450F a wise choice for today’s most demanding enduro racers and recreational enthusiasts alike.
Powering the WR450F is the latest reverse-fed, mass-centralized 449 cc single from the current YZ450F, but with specific enduro settings. Layout and specifications are the same as the YZ450F engine, but the intake and exhaust systems, fuel injection and ignition advance maps are tuned to provide the fast enduro rider with stronger and longer-lasting pulling power at high rpm.
Using the same bilateral beam frame and proven KYB suspension as the current YZ450F, the WR450F has been tuned for the enduro environment. The result is excellent stability, feedback, response and light handling.
Yamaha’s WR-F enduro bikes have demonstrated their outstanding performance in everything from Enduro GP and Enduro 2 through to Cross Country Rallies and the legendary Dakar – the toughest test there can be for any off road competition motorcycle.
The bike for all reasons.
Featuring a powerful engine producing strong, linear torque – and equipped with a compact aluminium chassis and slimline bodywork developed from the YZ450F – the agile WR450F gives you race-winning performance with class-leading versatility and legendary reliability.
Its wide power delivery can be quickly and easily tuned to suit different conditions via onboard WiFi using the Power Tuner app – and with its responsive handling and industry-leading suspension systems, the WR450F has got to be one of the smartest and most complete enduro bikes in any environment.
At a glance
◾Handlebar mounted switch adjusts engine mode
◾CCU that enables the Power Tuner app
◾Tough skidplate and lightweight speed sensor
◾Light, slim and sharp body & headlight design
◾KYB® suspension for stable & smooth ride
◾Lightweight, aluminium bilateral beam frame
◾Narrow, low and easy-access seat
◾Durable clutch, 5-speed wide-ratio gearbox
◾Easy-access air filter box design
Full Features & Techspecs
Designed using the most advanced race-bred technology, the agile WR450F is a genuine multi-role enduro bike that is always ready to give you more – whether you’re racing, training or having fun.
2020 Yamaha WR450F Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Engine based on latest-generation YZ450F motocross bike
- “Reversed” rearward-slanted engine design with 4-valve cylinder head (titanium valves)
- Forward-mounted fuel injection & rear-exiting wraparound exhaust
- Electric starting
- 5-speed, wide ratio transmission
- Radiator fan
- Bilateral beam frame from latest YZ450F with altered mounts and brackets for enduro-specific rigidity balance
- YZ based, fully adjustable suspension
- 18-inch rear wheel
- 35-watt headlight & LED tail light
- Forged aluminum sidestand
- Power Tuner app compatible (Competition-Only Kit CCU is required)
All-New 2020 WR250F Headlines Yamaha’s September Introduction
Flagship WR450F Model Returns as part of 2020 Dirt Motorcycle Lineup
CYPRESS, Calif. – September 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, today introduced the remainder of the company’s 2020 Dirt Motorcycle models, headlined by an all-new WR250F Enduro machine. Along with the return of the larger-displacement WR450F, this introduction completes the 2020 Yamaha Dirt Motorcycle lineup.
Welcome to the victorYZone
Yamaha Off-Road competition bikes offer the very latest technology and performance features designed to make enthusiasts the best riders possible, win races and help them become one with their machine.
All-New 2020 WR250F
The 2020 Yamaha WR250F is closer than ever to the latest-generation, championship-winning YZ250F and arrives completely revised for precise performance in enduro competition. A combination of linear and tractable power throughout its rev range, pinpoint handling, and clockwork reliability has ingrained the WR250F as a favorite among fast trail riders and racers alike.
High Performance YZ250F-Based Engine
The new WR250F engine is based on the class-leading, fuel-injected YZ250F design, and features a rearward-inclined cylinder and reverse cylinder head. Its airbox is situated in front of the rider with the fuel tank located at the center of the bike – a unique configuration that contributes to the bike’s mass centralization and plays a pivotal role in achieving light and agile handling.
The 2020 WR250F features a new high compression forged aluminum piston, revised valve angle and exhaust cam timing with revised balance factor – all based on the current YZ250F, but with enduro-specific settings to provide enhanced off-road trail performance. That performance is further bolstered by the fitment of a dual electrode spark plug and revised exhaust for 2020.
Compared to the previous WR250F engine, the 2020 design is more powerful at higher rpm, and delivers stronger power through the rev range, making it a serious contender for top honors.
Free-Flowing Air Filter Contributes to Linear Engine Response
A new air filter element features improved airflow with increased reliability and, combined with a revised length of the intake funnel, contributes to an excellent feeling of traction and linear engine power characteristics during acceleration and deceleration. Rubber seals on the center positioning pin increase dust-filtering capability, and a model-specific sound-damping resonator design is also adopted.
Tougher Clutch with Lighter Pull
The 2020 WR250F is equipped with a 6-speed transmission that is designed to handle a wide variety of terrain, from technical rock climbs to full throttle blasting along forest trails. A new lighter and tougher clutch is now mated to the gearbox to match the extreme demands of enduro riding. Featuring new heat resistant friction plates, this durable clutch has a super light lever pull and is built to perform consistently and effectively for long periods in the toughest terrain.
Mass Centralized Starter System
A lightweight starter motor has been repositioned from the front of the engine to just behind the cylinder, contributing to mass centralization. The new system and redesigned one-way clutch reduce drag and horsepower loss – a 60% reduction in load compared to the outgoing model. The kick starter has also been eliminated to save weight.
Sharp Handling YZ250F Bilateral Beam Frame and Optimized Ergonomics
The 2020 WR250F now uses the same bilateral beam frame as the sharp-handling YZ250F. To achieve a rigidity balance with the amount of flex needed for enduro riding, the front engine mount brackets have been altered. Like the changes made to the 2020 YZ250FX, the upper-side engine mounts are the same used on the YZ250F, while two plate-type mounts are used for the front-side of the engine. The result contributes to the machine’s excellent feeling of contact with the ground and offers feedback about the riding surface while still providing a light feel.
Surrounding this fully redesigned chassis, the 2020 WR250F features a new lighter, compact body from front to back, including a larger, 2.2-gallon, mass-centralized fuel tank. The radiator shrouds incorporate a new air duct with a concave shape that not only improves styling but is also narrower for better knee grip and overall rider movement. To further aid rider movement and comfort, the seat height has been reduced and the aluminum tapered handlebars are four-way adjustable.
Industry Leading KYB® Coil Spring Suspension with new Settings
The all-new WR250F runs the same industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB®, SSS coil spring-type forks with speed sensitive damping as the YZ250F, but with model-specific enduro settings to provide optimal comfort and compliance. This suspension is acknowledged to be the best available on a production dirt bike, and responds particularly well during the transition between the compression and rebound strokes.
The outer tubes are the same as the YZ250F and contribute to a secure feeling of ground contact. The diameter of the cartridge cylinder and piston have been increased compared to the outgoing model (24 mm to 25 mm) as has the flow rate of the fork oil. The mid-speed valve (MSV) that provides damping in the mid-speed range has been changed from a coil spring type to a leaf spring type. This mechanism responds to even the slightest amounts of oil flow and delivers excellent damping feel at low speeds.
The rear shock absorber is also based on the YZ250F and features enduro model-specific settings. It features a coil spring with a higher fatigue strength than the current model’s and with an 11.5mm wire diameter achieves a weight reduction of approximately 350 grams. The capacity of the shock reservoir has been increased by 30cc to run cooler and achieve a more stable damping force.
More Protective Skid Plate
The 2020 WR250F features a more protective plastic resin engine guard to help prevent damage to the frame, engine, water pump and hoses when running through ruts or from impacts by kicked up rocks. Also, reducing the size of the open space at the front limits the amount of mud and rocks entering thus reducing additional running weight.
Larger Capacity Fuel Tank
A newly-designed 2.2-gallon plastic resin fuel tank is featured to reduce the frequency of refueling during long-distance rides. The current YZ250F’s tank was used as the developmental base, and the lower portion has been extended downward, toward the center of the bike to improve mass centralization, and to increase the tank’s capacity by 0.5 gallons. A compact fuel pump is another new feature. These changes have made it possible to achieve a slim, compact body design that is identical to the YZ250F without any additional bulk or interference with the riding position.
Flatter, Lower Seat
A redesigned seat with stiffer seat foam is fitted to aid rider maneuverability and to make getting on and off the bike easier. A slimmer design through the shroud/knee contact area helps further improve rider ergonomics.
New Forged Aluminum Side-Stand
A lighter and less obtrusive forged aluminum side-stand is positioned to ensure plenty of ground clearance when riding through ruts. The new stand sits higher and the amount it protrudes from the chassis is reduced which helps prevent snagging. The weight of the stand has also been reduced by about 100g. This is the same as the 2020 model YZ250FX stand design.
Sleek New Headlight Cowl
The WR250F’s new headlight cowl sits lower and closer to the rider. It contributes to centralization of machine mass, reducing steering effort and helps to create a light, agile impression for the machine.
Lightweight Speed Sensor with High-Precision Display
A new lightweight front wheel speed sensor connects to a highly precise, fully featured enduro meter display and, without a speedo drive, makes front wheel changes easier. The system features a pulse wheel and sensor system known for excellent reliability and provides detailed speed information essential for enduro riding and racing.
18-Inch Rear Wheel
The WR250F uses an 18-inch rear wheel for improved comfort and better pinch-flat resistance in rocky and root-filled conditions. Dunlop MX3X tires provide excellent performance and durability, making this new bike ready to race right off the showroom floor.
Main Features Carried Over from Existing WR250F
- Rearward-slanted cylinder design featuring optimized weight distribution
- Wet sump lubrication
- 18-inch rear wheel
- Sealed O-Ring chain
- Lightweight switch free starting system
- Radiator cooling fan
- Lead battery resistant to effects of changes in ambient air temperature
- Headlight, LED tail light
- Speedometer, fuel level warning lamp, engine warning lamp
The 2020 WR250F will be available from Yamaha dealers in October in Team Yamaha Blue for $8,599 MSRP.
2020 Yamaha WR450F Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- YZ450F-based, “reversed” liquid-cooled, 450 cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection & electric starting.
- engine has been tuned for excellent rideability & control
- broad, easy-to-use powerband
- power characteristics optimized for enduro style racing or riding
- Rearward-slanted, reversed cylinder design.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
- rearward-slanted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light feel
- “Reversed” engine design – FI system is front-mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder.
- FI throttle body & air box are front-mounted, providing a straight intake path
- straight intake path into the cylinder provides optimum fuel/ air flow for excellent power
- front-mounted intake keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense & increases power)
- design centralizes mass for light, agile handling
- Electric start with auto decompression system.
- unit can be re-started in any gear
- elimination of kick starter reduces weight
- There is no main ignition switch on this model.
- electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
- kill switch (LHS handlebar) if held for a few seconds shuts down entire electrical system
- design reduces weight
- Compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 12.8:1 compression ratio.
- titanium 37 mm intake valves & titanium 30.5 mm exhaust valves – TBD
- 4-valve design offers optimum flow for excellent power & torque
- compact combustion chamber design
- Lightweight titanium valves use load-reduced valve springs.
- titanium valves reduce reciprocating weight & allow for a higher rpm limit (40% lighter than steel valves)
- reduced friction (load reduced valve springs)
- faster-revving & smoother power delivery
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance & mechanical engine noise
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses.
- Lightweight hollow intake & exhaust camshafts.
- provide a broad power band well suited to enduro racing or serious recreational riding
- Lightweight, ceramic composite coated aluminum cylinder.
- reduced weight (no sleeve or heavy liner) plating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block
- ceramic coating ensures faster, more uniform heat dissipation
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Special cylinder “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway).
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- Crankcase also utilizes cutaways which match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston.
- lightweight design means faster throttle response
- reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- special coating on piston skirt reduces friction
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder, rod & underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder & rod temperatures for excellent durability
- YZ450F crankshaft & connecting rod feature a carburizing process for excellent durability.
- Lightweight, gear-driven counterbalancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort & reduces rider fatigue
- 5-speed, wide ratio transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system & a 14 mm shift shaft.
- smooth, positive shifts
- good durability in the event of a crash (14 mm shift shaft)
- optimized ratios for good performance in difficult sections & solid top end speed for fast sections
- Heavy duty, multi-plate, clutch with quick access magnesium outer cover.
- clutch is designed for the rigours of enduro riding
- clutch action is light to reduce hand fatigue during extended races / rides
- quick access outer cover provides fast & easy clutch access
- 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
- 12-hole injector
- maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion & excellent power delivery
- FI settings are specific to enduro racing / riding
- FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature & altitude
- other benefits include excellent starting & excellent throttle response
- cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
- Optional, GYTR competition ECU and GYTR Communication Control Unit (CCU) kit.
- Allows tailoring of both fuel injection and ignition mapping when used with Yamaha?s free, exclusive Power Tuner app
- Monitor real-time data, track engine run time and run engine diagnostics
- Accurately log race data for future reference
- Share maps with friends and teammates
- Closed-course competition use only. Not for trail use
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier & faster oil changes)
- Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter for fast, easy oil changes.
- Lightweight, single-core, dual radiators with electric cooling fan.
- standard cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperatures during slow speed, technical riding
- radiator fin pitch is optimized for good air flow even at slow speeds
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High capacity AC magneto to power the FI system.
- Lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system based on YZ450F design.
- exits from the rear of the engine & circles cylinder body
- design ensures the optimum tuned header length
- maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- Lightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer).
- multi-expansion design
- spark arrestor equipped
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- YZ450F based, compact, lightweight bilateral beam aluminum frame.
- centralizes mass for exceptional handling & manoeuvrability
- frame offers an optimum rigidity balance between strength, rigidity & tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
- frame features mounting tabs for accessory under engine skid plate (quick installation)
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for optimum suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- YZ450F-based, 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork with 310mm (12.2″) of wheel travel.
- speed-sensitive damping provides exceptional balance between handling and bump absorption
- friction-reducing coating on inner tubes
- compression and rebound damping adjustability
- optional fork springs are available through GYPA
- helps prevent aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities
- the inner damper is pressurized, eliminating bubbles forming in the oil
- 22 mm front axle
- Transfer Control Valve (TCV) offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”
- Large wrap-around plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- self-supporting design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
- YZ450F-based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 318 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
- shock valving & settings are tailored for enduro riding conditions
- revised rebound damping & high-speed compression settings
- separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock is in line with the center axis of the frame for excellent control
- shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20-way low-speed compression damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping & 30-way rebound damping
- 270 mm floating front wave-style disc & compact twin-piston Nissin caliper.
- wave design reduces weight & improves cooling
- Shorty-style adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake features a wave-style disc & single-piston Nissin caliper & master cylinder.
- Rear caliper & lower portion of the disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- Lightweight, plastic resin 7.9-litre fuel tank
- tank is positioned under the seat to reduce centre of gravity and centralize mass for exceptional handling and a lightweight feeling
- compact in-tank electric fuel pump
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different positions with an adjustment range of 30 mm (1.2″).
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration & improved rider comfort
- Compact bodywork with embedded graphics
- Narrow bodywork design optimizes rider mobility and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ450F
- flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements and a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the bodywork looking good longer (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds and will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- seat is narrow in the fuel tank for ideal knee grip and easy rider movements
- front of seat features a quick remove “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
- Rugged Excel rims fitted with Dunlop tires.
- excellent durability and strength
- 18-inch rear wheel improves puncture resistance compared to 19-inch design
- Dunlop tires MX3SF & MX3S tires – 80/100-21 51M front, 120/90-18 65M (rear)
- Lightweight digital meter assembly.
- functions include: speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters & clock in the basic mode
- “race mode” features pace management functions including; timer & distance compensating trip meter
- warning lights for engine trouble (FI system) & low fuel
- Stylish, slim design 35-watt headlight.
- headlight beam is adjustable up & down
- Brilliant LED rear taillight.
- Heavy-duty plastic engine skid plate
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip
- Heavy-duty rubber swingarm protector
- Lightweight chain guide reduces chance of chain derailment & helps protect rear sprocket
- Heavy duty sealed chain
- Sealed, no-spill, gel-type, low-maintenance battery
2020 Yamaha WR450F – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,699 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $10,999 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 450cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves
Bore x Stroke 97.0mm × 60.9mm
Compression Ratio 12.8:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
Transmission Wide-ratio 5-speed; wet multiplate clutch
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork;
fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX3X
Tires / Rear 120/90-18 Dunlop® MX3X
L x W x H 85.6 in x 32.5 in x 50.0 in
Seat Height 37.6 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.2°
Trail 4.6 in
Fuel Capacity 2.2 gal
Wet Weight 265 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2020 Yamaha WR450F – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|97 x 60.9 mm|
|Keihin 44 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Constant mesh, 5-speed|
|Fully adj. 48 mm inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2″) wheel travel|
|Fully adj. Link Monocross / 317 mm (12.5″) wheel travel|
|270 mm floating disc / twin-piston caliper|
|245 mm disc / single-piston caliper|
|2 175 mm (85.6″)|
|825 mm (32.5″)|
|1,270 mm (50.0″)|
|1480 mm (58.3″)|
|320 mm (12.6″)|
|955 mm (37.6″)|
|7.9 litres (1.7 Imp. gal.)|
|120 kg (265 lbs)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha WR450F – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Engine type liquid-cooled;4-stroke;4-valves;DOHC
Bore x stroke 97.0 mm x 60.9 mm
Compression ratio 12.8 : 1
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch Type Wet;Multiple Disc
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh;5-speed
Final transmission Chain
Carburettor Fuel Injection
Frame Semi double cradle
Front travel 310 mm
Caster Angle 27º10
Front suspension system Telescopic forks
Rear suspension system Swingarm;(link suspension)
Rear Travel 318 mm
Front brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø270 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø245 mm
Front tyre 90/90-21 54M+S
Rear tyre 130/90-18 69S+M
Overall length 2,175 mm
Overall width 825 mm
Overall height 1,270 mm
Seat height 955 mm
Wheel base 1,480 mm
Minimum ground clearance 320 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 120 kg
Fuel tank capacity 7.9litres
Oil tank capacity 0.90litres
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).