AGILITY, ABILITY, VICTORY.
2020 Yamaha YZ250:
2‑STROKES, 1ST PLACE
Pure performance and full‑throttle adrenaline is what you get from this lightweight, reliable, 2‑stroke moto machine.
Revive memories of the good ol’ days with a YZ two-stroke! Nothing beats the bark and instantaneous throttle response of the lightweight YZ250. Not only is a two-stroke more affordable and easier to maintain, it also provides a very entertaining ride.
If you’ve been around the dirt bike scene for a while you’ll know that the YZ250 has a pretty impressive track record. Over the years this thoroughbred racer has won just about everything worth winning in motocross and supercross.
With explosive engine performance and a lightweight aluminium chassis, the YZ250 attracts a loyal following of riders who grew up with 2-strokes. And it’s also caught the attention of a whole new generation of younger riders who just want to get out there and ride.
The modern factory bike looks and lean image fits the cool bodywork – and with its YZ-F type forks and rear suspension, the YZ250 is ready to win!
The liquid-cooled, 249 cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine is lightweight and compact.
The Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides) which provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery and a strong top-end punch. The YPVS system varies the exhaust port height and timing based on engine rpm.
2020 Yamaha YZ250 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Compact, liquid-cooled, 249 cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine
- Smooth shifting, 6-speed, close ratio transmission
- Keihin PWK38S carb with 4-petal carbon fiber reeds
- Yamaha’s patented YPVS exhaust power valve system
- Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame with detachable rear subframe
- Fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 270 mm front & 245 mm rear disc brakes
- Adjustable aluminum handlebar & titanium foot pegs
- Aggressive, modern styling
Yamaha Announces Full Lineup of 2020 Motocross Bikes
Enter the victorYZone with Yamaha’s Newly Redesigned YZ450F
MARIETTA, Ga. – June 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corp., USA, introduces its complete lineup of race-ready 2020 motocross bikes, including the newly redesigned YZ450F, featuring a new engine, frame, and host of other features to deliver a lighter, more powerful, and better handling motocross experience.
“The 2020 YZ450F features design changes which resulted in a lighter, faster, and more nimble handling machine that will once again raise the bar in the 450 class,” said Steve Nessl, Yamaha’s motorsports marketing manager. “Yamaha’s 2020 lineup of four-stroke motocross bikes boasts the most advanced, race-ready machines of their respective classes.”
Also returning for 2020 is the championship-winning Yamaha YZ250F four-stroke motocross bike, along with Yamaha’s legendary two-stroke lineup featuring the YZ250, YZ125, YZ85 and YZ65.
Welcome to the victorYZone
Yamaha off-road competition bikes offer the very latest technology and performance features designed to make enthusiasts the best riders possible, win races and help riders become one with their machine – putting them in the zone and atop the podium.
New 2020 YZ450F: Tune in to Victory
The new 2020 Yamaha YZ450F has been redesigned to provide a lighter, more powerful, and better handling motocross experience. The new 449cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, electric start engine features an all-new compact cylinder head with redesigned combustion chamber shape, steeper valve angles and more aggressive cam profiles. The reward-slanted cylinder houses a higher compression piston with low friction rings attached to a longer connecting rod. The transmission has been refined to provide smoother shifting, and a more efficient crank breather system has been adopted to decrease pumping losses. In all, the lighter, more compact engine produces increased power across the entire RPM range for stronger and more linear pulling power.
The new motor is housed in the latest evolution of Yamaha’s lightweight aluminum bilateral beam frame, which has been redesigned with all-new flex characteristics and provides improved cornering performance, traction and bump reaction to give the rider more confidence to push harder. Other chassis components such as engine mounts, top triple clamp and front axle, as well as the class-leading KYB® suspension with enhanced compression and rebound characteristics were carefully refined to reduce weight while improving handling and performance. To bring the new package to a stop, the 2020 YZ450F features a newly designed front brake caliper, brake pads and front and rear disc. The overall changes of the 2020 YZ450F deliver increased power output with more controllable linear acceleration and lightweight handling characteristics that mimic a YZ250F.
Featuring Yamaha’s advanced racing technology, the new 2020 YZ450F has been updated to give racers the edge right out of the gate. Standard equipment including electric start, a lightweight lithium battery, advanced fuel injection, and a wrap around rear-positioned exhaust deliver powerful and reliable performance while balancing weight for excellent mass-centralization. Racers can achieve quicker, smoother race starts through Yamaha’s Launch Control System, adjust their on-track performance using wireless connectivity through the Yamaha Power Tuner App right from their phone, and now choose between two user defined ECU maps on the fly through the handlebar mounted dual-mode engine map switch.
The new 2020 YZ450F will be available from dealers next month in Team Yamaha Blue and Gray for $9,299 MSRP.
2020 YZ250F: Tune, Race, Win
Last year, the 2019 YZ250F introduced all-new engine, frame, and bodywork designs with features never-before seen on a 250cc class motorcycle to deliver more mid-range and top-end power, and class-leading engine performance. Yamaha’s championship-winning design returns with the 2020 YZ250F.
Sporting an electric start, 250cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine housed in an aluminum bilateral beam frame, and suspended by industry leading KYB spring type forks and KYB rear shock, the 2020 YZ250F provides the ultimate balance of race-winning performance, rideability and comfort. The motorcycle also continues to feature Yamaha’s advanced racing technology including dual-mode switchable engine mapping and wireless connectivity for the Yamaha Power Tuner App.
The 2020 YZ250F will be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue and Gray for $8,199 MSRP.
2020 YZ125 and YZ250
Yamaha’s YZ125 and YZ250 models return for 2020 to complete Yamaha’s full-size lineup of motocross bikes. Lightweight aluminum frames, Yamaha’s patented Power Valve System (YPVS™), and reed-valve inducted engines provide an incredible power-to-weight ratio while maintaining Yamaha’s excellent reliability and durability. Both the YZ125 and YZ250 each sport industry leading KYB spring-type fork and KYB rear shock for unmatched comfort and performance on the track.
The 2020 YZ125 and YZ250 will begin arriving at Yamaha dealerships this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $6,499 and $7,399 MSRP, respectively.
2020 YZ85 and YZ65
Yamaha’s 2020 youth models, the YZ85 and YZ65, are ready to tackle the track with winning performance out of the gate. They are respectively powered by confidence-inspiring 85cc and 65cc two-stroke engines featuring YPVS for broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high RPM — improving rideability and reducing the need for frequent shifting. Industry-leading 36mm KYB spring type forks and KYB rear shock are fully adjustable for compression and rebound, and contribute to class-leading handling and performance in a wide range of conditions. Four-way, adjustable handlebar positioning as well as lever reach adjustability are designed for ultimate rider comfort regardless of size. Finally, with two-stroke ease of maintenance and Yamaha’s proven durability, the 2020 YZ85 and YZ65 are built to keep kids on the track.
The 2020 YZ85 and YZ65 will both be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $4,599 MSRP.
Yamaha bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency
All 2020 YZ models are once again eligible for Yamaha’s bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency Program, with nearly $5 million for Yamaha bLU cRU riders competing in off-road motorcycle racing. YZ riders can earn contingency payouts via a bLU cRU debit card, receive a 10% rebate on GYTR parts and accessory purchases of up to $1,000, and receive an instant $45 credit
2020 Yamaha YZ250 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Lightweight, compact, liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke.
- super crisp, instant ‘right now’ engine power (when in the ‘power band’)
- easy & economical to maintain, service & rebuild
- Lightweight, flat top forged aluminum piston.
- excellent durability
- light weight means fast engine response
- Liner-less, ceramic composite cylinder bore with ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block.
- excellent heat dissipation
- reduced weight (no heavy iron liner)
- reduced friction
- extended cylinder life
- Lightweight, ball bearing style crank.
- lightweight design for fast throttle response
- friction reducing crank seals
- YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides).
- YPVS system varies the exhaust port height & timing based on engine rpm
- provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery & strong top-end punch
- Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS).
- precise fuel – air mixing
- extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband
- Special-design, 4-petal, carbon fiber reeds.
- excellent throttle response & engine performance across the entire RPM range
- Smooth-shifting, 5-speed, close-ratio transmission.
- ratios are matched to engine output for maximum performance
- optimal hook-up for outstanding acceleration & corner-exiting power
- transmission features ‘involute splines’ for smooth, positive shifting even under power
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- quick-access, outer clutch cover allows for fast, easy clutch maintenance
- CD (capacitor discharge) ignition system.
- delivers a precise spark for fast, sure starts
- ensures optimal timing at all rpms for fast, strong response.
- High capacity, washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- excellent filtering qualities
- reduces maintenance costs… foam filter is re-useable
- Large-capacity, dual radiators feature 10-row cores.
- maximum cooling efficiency
- Lightweight exhaust system.
- computer designed expansion chamber provides maximum engine performance
- lightweight, aluminum silencer is re-buildable for optimum performance & reduced noise levels
- Works-style clutch lever & race-spec ‘barrel adjuster.’
- light, easy lever pull
- for on-the-fly clutch adjustments
- Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame.
- combines with compact engine to provide an awesome power to weight ratio
- obvious benefit of an aluminum frame is a significant weight reduction
- Yamaha maintains the semi-double cradle design because it offers an excellent ‘rigidity balance’ between lateral & torsional rigidity while offering controlled flex in the longitudinal plane
- result is a light aluminum frame, which provides excellent handling, good ride quality, excellent stability & responsive cornering performance
- Removable rear subframe.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum
- detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- reduces costs in the event of a loop out
- Lightweight, tapered design aluminum swingarm.
- produced by ‘hydro forming’, a forming method that uses high pressure water to form shapes
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- lightweight design
- Cast aluminum upper and forged lower triple clamps.
- strong yet lightweight
- fast, agile handling
- Adjustable handlebar mounts.
- allow handlebar to be moved 10mm rearward if desired
- ‘Speed Sensitive System’ 48mm, adjustable, inverted, ‘twin chamber’ KYB fork. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8′).
- twin chamber design means the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly & degrading its damping abilities
- the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil
- ‘Speed Sensitive’ design means the damping force is controlled by piston speed, not position in the fork
- low friction fork seals provide reduced stiction for a smoother stroke
- fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping & 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term ‘Speed Sensitive System fork’
- Large ‘wrap-around’ plastic fork protectors.
- provide excellent protection from dirt, mud & stone chips
- ‘self-supporting’ design reduces friction for smoother stroke
- Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba, piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4′) of wheel travel.
- features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- adjustments include: spring preload, 20-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping & 2 turns of high speed compression damping
- damper rod is 18 mm in diameter
- Kashima coating (friction reducer) is used in the shock body & sub tank to reduce friction & improve suspension performance
- piggyback shock utilizes a full rebound oil lock system for excellent suspension function & great ride quality
- 270 mm floating front ‘wave-style’ disc brake with Nissin twin piston caliper.
- ‘wave’ style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling
- braking performance is excellent with great feel & control
- ‘Shorty’ front brake lever is adjustable for various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear ‘wave-style’ disc brake with single piston caliper.
- integrated master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder)
- ‘wave’ style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling
- strong stopping power with excellent feel & control
- Rugged, plastic rear caliper & lower rear disc protectors / guards.
- Lightweight, Sun Star rear sprocket.
- increases the contact area between the sprocket & chain rollers
- reduces the load on the chain & increases service life of chain & sprocket
- Lightweight, D.I.D. 21′ front and 19′ rear rims & premium Dunlop tires.
- provide excellent durability
- reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling
- ‘Flat-design’ seat features multi density foam.
- provides good initial softness / comfort and then increases the firmness as more pressure is applied
- ‘pebble’ finish on the top and side surfaces provides excellent rider grip & durability
- Seat, handlebar & fuel tank ergonomics provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider.
- Slim design, modern aggressive bodywork allows easy rider movements
- Lightweight YZ250F/450F based wide footpegs provide excellent grip & ground clearance
- Rugged chain guide helps prevent the chain from de-railing and also helps to protect the rear sprocket.
- Serrated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tip
- Stainless steel, inner clutch cable provides excellent strength, smooth action and long life
- Heavy-duty chain
- E10 friendly fuel system components
2020 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,499 – Team Yamaha Blue – Available from June 2019
Canada MSRP Price: $ 8299 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing in AU
Engine Type 249cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 66.4mm × 72.0mm
Compression Ratio 8.9~10.6:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK38S
Transmission Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.4-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX52
Tires / Rear 110/90-19 Dunlop® MX52
L x W x H 85.7 in x 32.6 in x 51.4 in
Seat Height 39.1 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.7°
Trail 4.8 in
Ground Clearance 14.2 in
Fuel Capacity** 2.1 gal
Wet Weight*** 227 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
2020 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|2-stroke, liquid-cooled, crankcase reed-valve, single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|66.4 x 72 mm|
|Ignition / Starting|
|CDI / Kick|
|Constant mesh, 5-speed|
|Fully adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 300 mm (11.8″) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable link Monocross / 315 mm (12.4″) wheel travel|
|270 mm floating disc / twin piston caliper|
|245 mm disc / single piston caliper|
|2,185 mm (86″)|
|825 mm (32.5″)|
|1,290 mm (50.8″)|
|1,485 mm (58.5″)|
|360 mm (14.2″)|
|970 mm (38.2″)|
|8 litres (1.8 imp. gallons)|
|103 kg (227 lbs)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
- Engine type
- liquid-cooled, 2-stroke, Forward-inclined single cylinder, reed valve with YPVS
- Bore x stroke
- 66.4 mm x 72.0 mm
- Compression ratio
- 8.9 ~ 10.6 : 1
- Maximum power
- Maximum torque
- Lubrication system
- Clutch type
- Wet, multiple-disc coil spring
- Ignition system
- Starter system
- Transmission system
- Constant Mesh, 5-speed
- Final transmission
- Fuel system
- Keihin PWK38S/1
- Alu semi-double cradle
- Front travel
- 300 mm
- Caster angle
- Front suspension system
- Upside-down telescopic fork
- Rear suspension system
- Swingarm, (link suspension)
- Rear travel
- 315 mm
- Front brake
- Single Disc, Ø250 mm
- Rear brake
- Single Disc, Ø245 mm
- Front tyre
- 80/100-21 51M
- Rear tyre
- 110/90-19 62M
- Overall length
- 2,147 mm
- Overall width
- 827 mm
- Overall height
- 1,299 mm
- Seat height
- 976 mm
- Wheel base
- 1,446 mm
- Minimum ground clearance
- 367 mm
- Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank)
- 103 kg
- Fuel tank capacity
- Oil tank capacity
2020 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).