2021 Kawasaki W800 : TURE KAWASAKI HERITAGE.
Introducing the new 2021 Kawasaki W800…
The W800 is the closest throwback to the look and feel of Kawasaki’s original, iconic W1 model of 1966. Although thoroughly modernized, it provides riders the classic feel of a ‘60s-era machine with the pulse of a throaty retro air-cooled vertical twin engine.
The 1960s spirit runs deep in the Kawasaki W retro-classic lineup with class-leading authentic styling, sound and feel. A true throwback to the iconic W1, modern W800 motorcycles are meticulously crafted to pay homage to the past, all while thoughtfully incorporating modern technology and features. The 2021 W800 features a 773cc air-cooled vertical twin engine, Assist & Slipper Clutch, traditional exhaust system, authentic W1 inspired styling, disc brakes with ABS, chrome-plated steel fenders, large round turn signals, a standard handlebar, large 19″ front wheel and 18″ back wheel, a relaxed riding position, silver alumite rims, tuck & roll seat, and a Kawasaki Advanced Dynamic Analysis Designed Frame. For 2021, the W800 is available in Metallic Ocean Blue with an MSRP of $9,199.
2021 Kawasaki W800 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
• ICONIC VERTICAL TWIN ENGINE WITH BEVEL GEAR DRIVE CAMSHAFT
• CRAFTED EXHAUST NOTE EMITS HEARTY ROAR
• MODERN ASSIST AND SLIPPER CLUTCH
• LED HEADLIGHT
• VINTAGE RIDING POSITION
• TRADITIONALLY STYLED ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION
2021 Kawasaki W800 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Long-stroke 773cc engine is tuned for low-mid range performance and delivers plenty of torquey power. The W800 engine is mostly silver to highlight its classic form and beauty.
- 360-degree crankshaft provides a signature engine pulse.
- Balancer shaft helps dampen vibration.
- Heavy flywheel contributes to the engine’s strong torque feel.
- Iconic bevel gear driven single overhead camshaft activates four valves per cylinder. A chrome bevel gear cover helps highlight the classic looks.
- Long, slim intake funnels enhance low-mid range performance.
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®)
- Fuel injection offers precise fuel metering, clean emissions and easy starting.
- 34mm throttle bodies are arranged to provide incoming air a straight path from the airbox to the cylinders. Sub-throttles are used to ensure ideal engine response as well as reduce noise.
- Painted steel throttle body cover augments the retro appearance.
Crafted Exhaust Note
- Traditional mufflers emit the throaty exhaust note for which parallel twin engines are famous.
- The twin mufflers were carefully tuned to bring out the characteristic note of the engine’s 360º crankshaft configuration, creating a hearty roar to complement every twist of the throttle.
- The simple, elegant muffler design utilizes smooth curves and long, straight lines. Peashooter-style mufflers with slim chambers and long tailpipes are reminiscent of the original W1.
- Muffler internals (chamber arrangement, diameter/length of baffle pipe and trans-chamber pipe, and large honeycomb catalyser) were designed to deliver mid-high range performance while contributing to strict modern exhaust and noise emissions regulations.
Assist & Slipper Clutch
- The assist and slipper clutch(KP) is compact and it’s operating plates help reduce lever pull for an extremely light feel at the lever. A wide engagement range helps make the clutch easier to control.
- Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back torque, such as when too low of gear is selected during downshifting, the slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent rear wheel hop and stalling due to engine lock-up.
Double Cradle Frame
- Double-cradle frame uses a sturdy, 50mm square-section backbone to give the W800 motorcycle a stable ride quality and well-balanced overall design.
- Complementing the 50mm square-section backbone, round pipe downtubes are a reminder of the classic sixties style. Gussets and brackets were kept to a minimum for improved aesthetics and reduced weight.
- Round tubes with a smooth finish and minimum welds and gussets contribute to the quality appearance.
- Kawasaki advanced dynamic analysis used to determine the exact required rigidity for each piece of tubing to ensure optimized performance with minimal weight.
- Standard center stand eases maintenance.
- A 41mm front fork with stiff springs, rigid lower triple-clamp, stiff swingarm and stiff rear shocks complement the rigid frame.
- Rubber fork boots help protect the fork tubes and fork seals while adding to the retro appearance.
- Dual rear shocks with adjustable spring preload are a nod to the suspension of the sixties era.
- Large-diameter 320mm front disc paired with a 270mm rear disc provide excellent response and strong stopping power.
- ABS assists braking under certain conditions for added rider confidence.
- Large-diameter 19-inch front wheel combined with 18-inch rear wheel provides a balance of relaxed handling, light turning feeling and excellent straight-line performance while maintaining the vintage ride feel of a true classic machine.
- Silver alumite-coated aluminum rims are corrosion resistant, while the spokes and spoke nipples are treated with a coating that helps shed dirt and grime when cleaning.
- Tube-type bias ply tires have a traditional tread pattern with the advantage of today’s technology offering high grip.
- Relaxed, vintage-style upright riding position.
- Five-way adjustable clutch lever and four-way adjustable brake lever enable riders to fine-tune lever position.
- Stylish two-person tuck and roll seat is thickly padded for comfort and classic good looks. The front of the seat is shaped to help riders’ feet reach the ground for assurance at stops.
- The W800 CAFE model seat is a direct swap for those who want to customize their ride.
- Knee pads on the tank help riders grip the W800 with their legs.
- Compact switchgear is designed to add a vintage touch and gives the handlebars a light, uncluttered appearance. Underneath the retro-styled exterior are modern internals for reliable performance.
- Traditional instrumentation includes individual speedometer and tachometer with classic display and model-specific typeface.
- A multi-function LCD screen incorporates an odometer, tripmeter, and clock. A full range of indicator lamps includes an FI warning lamp, dual turn signal indicators, low fuel level indicator, high beam indicator, neutral indicator, and oil pressure warning lamp.
- Large 170mm LED headlamp casts a bright, white light for great night-time visibility.
- Features six chambers – four for low-beam and two more for high-beam. Position lamps in the high-beam chambers ensure the whole lamp appears lit, like a retro-style bulb headlamp.
- Convex lens and chromed headlamp ring add to the high-quality, classic design.
- Chrome-plated steel fenders are pure vintage.
- Chrome tank emblems complement the fuel tank’s rich paint.
- Chrome handlebars, headlight brackets, mirrors, chain cover, shift lever, brake pedal and oil filter cover also help highlight the paint.
- Large, round turn signals with orange lenses and chrome bodies are a standout reminder of the W800’s sixties heritage.
- Buff and clear-coat finish treatment on the outer fork tubes and the engine’s crankcase cover add to the look.
2021 Kawasaki W800 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9199 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $11299 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See Dealer GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Air-Cooled, SOHC, 4-Valve Cylinder Head, Vertical-Twin
Displacement 773 cc
Bore and Stroke 77.0 x 83.0 mm
Maximum Torque 46.3 lb.-ft. @ 4,800 rpm
Compression Ratio 8.4:1
Fuel Injection DFI® with Dual 34mm Keihin Throttle Bodies (2)
Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission 5-Speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Rake/Trail 27˚/4.3 in
Front Wheel Travel 5.1 in
Rear Wheel Travel 4.2 in
Front Tire Size 100/90-19
Rear Tire Size 130/80-18
Front Suspension 41mm Hydraulic Telescopic Fork
Rear Suspension Dual Shock with Ajustable PreLoad
Front Brake Type Single 320mm Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
Rear Brake Type Single 270mm Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity 4.0 gal.
Seat Height 31.1 in
Curb Weight= 498.3 lb.
Warranty 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
(Specifications subject to change without notice.)
= Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
When equipped, California evaporative emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 pounds.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.* = Changes from previous model year.
2021 Kawasaki W800 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
|Engine||773cc, air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC 8-valve vertical twin|
|Bore x Stroke||77.0 x 83.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection: ø34 mm x 2 with sub-throttles|
|Lubrication||Forced lubrication, wet sump|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc, manual|
|Frame||Double-cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||ø41 mm telescopic fork / 130 mm (5.1 in)|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Twin shocks with spring preload adjustability / 107 mm (4.2 in)|
|Rake / Trail||27.0° / 108 mm|
|Steering Angle (L/R)||37° / 37°|
|Front Tire||100/90-19M/C 57H|
|Rear Tire||130/80-18M/C 66H|
|Front Brake||ø320 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper|
|Rear Brake||ø270 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||2,190 x 790 x 1,075 mm (86.2 x 31.1 x 42.3 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,465 mm (57.7 in)|
|Road Clearance||125 mm (4.9 in)|
|Seat Height||790 mm (31.1 in)|
|Curb Mass**||225 kg (496 lb)|
|Fuel Capacity||15 litres|
|Instrumentation||Analogue-style speedometer and tachometer + multi-function LCD screen with odometer, tripmeter, clock, and indicator lamps|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus||12 / 24 / 36 / 48 months|
2021 Kawasaki W800 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).