Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R
The Ultimate Sportbike.
Apex straffing fanatics roam the hills and the valleys. They’re creatures of power, intelligence and skill, and all before them flee or cower in submission. Their bike of choice is the Ninja® ZX-12R, quite simply the strongest and most advanced Kawasaki sportbike ever.
Cycle World in 2002 summed it up nicely: “If top speed is your bottom line, Kawasaki rules!”
The ZX-12R begins with a rigid monocoque aluminum backbone that wraps closely around the huge 1,199cc digitally fuel-injected engine for unparalleled handling and cornering agility. For horsepower junkies, the muscular DOHC mill is built to satisfy your primal urges for hard acceleration. And adjustable suspension components straight off the top shelf deliver impeccable handling and grown-up ergonomics ensure a comfortable ride, even in predator status. Did we mention the ZX-12R is undefeated in Formula Superbike and a major contender in Streetbike Shootout in AMA ProStar drag racing?
So do you really need a Ninja ZX-12R?
– High-volume, efficient Twin Ram Air intake system with turbulence reducing air flow separators.
– Four-cylinder, chrome composite plated linerless aluminum block allows a very compact engine width for the 1,199cc displacement while retaining tremendous strength for the high power output.
– Compact 16-valve cylinder head features a narrow 25-degree included valve angle and a high 12.2:1 compression ratio to increase power output.
– Special lightweight, yet strong, VX thin-wire valve springs provide precise high-speed valve control.
– Heat-treated chrome-moly con rods connect to a strong, precisely weighted crankshaft for stronger low- and mid-range performance.
– Large 19 litre (4.2 gallon) fuel tank with electric fuel pump is located beneath the seat, resulting in a lower centre of gravity and improved mass centralization.
– Oval-shaped throttle pulley and simplified fuel pump with built-in regulator help improve engine response.
– Magnesium alloy covers for the cylinder head, clutch and alternator reduce overall weight.
– Four 46mm fuel-injected throttle bodies with four precisely angled jets aimed directly at the intake valves.
– The Engine Management Module continuously monitors engine and atmospheric data to independently control fuel injection and ignition for each cylinder.
– World’s first production monocoque backbone aluminum frame which
eliminates the need for twin side spars wrapping around the engine, keeping the ZX-12R surprisingly narrow.
– Piggy-back reservoir rear shock with stepless adjustable compression and rebound damping rates.
– Front 43mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless adjustable compression and rebound damping and adjustable spring preload.
– High-performance radial tires mounted to lightweight 17-inch alloy wheels. The ultra-wide 200/50 rear tire mounts to a six-inch wide rim for excellent traction.
– Dual opposed six-piston front callipers grip large 320mm diameter discs while an opposed-piston calliper slows the 230mm single rear disc.
– Instrumentation includes state-of-the-art electronic gauges for the speedometer and tachometer plus a full complement of warning lights and readouts from the digital display.
Engine type 4-stroke, liquid-cooled In-Line Four
Bore x stroke 83 x 55.4mm
Compression Ratio 12.2:1
Valve system DOHC, 16 valves
Fuel system Digital fuel injection with four 46mm throttle bodies
Transmission 6-speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Frame type Monocoque, pressed aluminum with detachable rear sub-frame
Rake/trail 23.5°/98 mm (3.85 inches)
Suspension, front 43mm inverted cartridge fork with adjustable preload and stepless compression and rebound damping
Suspension, rear Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® with remote-reservoir, gas-charged shock, adjustable ride-height, spring preload, stepless compression and rebound damping
Tires, front, rear Tubeless radial; 120/70-ZR17; 200/50-ZR17
Brakes, front Dual 320mm semi-floating discs with dual 6-piston calipers
Brakes, rear Disc with opposed-piston caliper
Wheelbase 1450 mm (57.1 inches)
Seat height 820 mm (32.3 inches)
Fuel capacity 19 litres (4.2 gallons)
Dry weight 216 kg (463 pounds)
Colours Pearl Mystic Black/Metallic Cressent Gold or Metallic Gray Stone or Lime Green
GTPP available 24 or 36 months
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.