2005 Honda RC51
Back to 2005 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Honda RC51
For race-proven performance and championship-caliber quality, no other V-Twin sport bike comes close to Honda’s RC51.
Features & Benefits
New for 2005
– Exciting new Black/Metallic Gray color.
– Black painted frame, wheels and swingarm.
– Prodigious power is produced across a broad rpm band, peaking with 133 bhp at 10,000 rpm and 71 lb./ft. of torque at 8000 rpm in street-legal trim.
– Large, 62mm fuel injection throttle bodies inspired by HRC’s championship works racers.
– Two fuel injectors for each cylinder feature 12 laser-drilled jet holes in each injector tip for finer fuel atomization, resulting in more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
– Twin side-mounted radiators each have electric cooling fans to improve engine cooling.
– HRC(r)-designed press-forged aluminum swingarm.
– HRC-designed integrated rear shock reservoir is positioned for easy fitment of center-up high-performance competition exhaust.
– Five-spoke wheels feature aerodynamic forward-facing V-shaped spokes and Dunlop D208 tires.
– Windscreen shape is derived from Colin Edwards’ World Superbike Championship HRC racer.
– Large underseat tool tray.
– 999cc DOHC eight-valve 90¡ V-twin engine is specially designed to withstand the rigors of Superbike competition.
– Centrally mounted ram-air intake duct routes cool, pressurized air directly through the frame’s steering head structure to the 9.0-liter airbox, improving intake efficiency while slimming the aerodynamic profile. The ram-air duct doubles as a front cowl stay, shaving 12 ounces off of a conventional mounting system.
– Each cylinder head features large, 40mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves with a 24 degree included valve angle. This provides a short, direct path for the air/fuel charge entering the combustion chamber and results in high power output.
– Gear-driven camshafts utilize three-axis drive gears to maintain accurate valve timing and durability at sustained high engine speeds.
– Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability, and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
– Cast aluminum pistons are screen-printed with solid LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder wall.
– Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
– Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods.
– Design is lighter than conventional bolt-and-nut combination. Carburized rods provide strength and durability under high loads.
– Crankshaft center lubrication system carries oil to main and connecting rod bearings through passages in the crankshaft as well as conventional journals, allowing lower main-gallery oil pressure and a smaller oil pump design, consuming less horsepower at high engine speeds.
– Iridium-tip spark plugs require less voltage and maintain ignition performance in demanding conditions.
– At operating speed, side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from the inside. Side positioning allows optimal placement of engine for a low center of gravity and superb handling and permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency.
– Air-cooled aluminum oil cooler.
– Magnesium head cover, clutch cover and left-rear sprocket cover.
– All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with two 5.3-liter canister-style mufflers with a buffed finish.
– Seven-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
– Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission features ratios carefully matched to the engine’s powerband.
– Twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a modified Pro Frame(r) design utilizing a swingarm pivot that incorporates both engine-crankcase- and frame-mounted pivot points. The frame sideplates extend underneath the swingarm and join to form a D-shape swingarm mounting enclosure. This combination provides an extremely rigid chassis while offering excellent road feel.
– Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
– 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System(tm) (HMAS(tm)) cartridge fork with 5.1 inches of travel features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and superb rigidity.
– Pro-Link(r) rear suspension features 4.7 inches of travel and a high-quality 40mm HMAS shock with integrally cast damper reservoir. Spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability produces superior rear wheel control.
– Braking system features 320mm front discs floating on seven stainless steel pins with four-piston calipers, and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
– Distinctive bodywork features a dual-headlight design with a centrally located ram-air duct, a narrow-profile fuel tank and a single-piece tail section.
– Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
– High-output, 335-watt AC generator.
– Dual headlights feature asymmetric low/high beam operation; computer-designed multi-reflectors and two 55W H7 bulbs behind clear plastic lenses provide a broad lighting pattern and superb illumination.
– Lightweight instrument display includes electronic LCD tachometer and speedometer, fuel indicator, odometer, tripmeter and temperature gauge.
– Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
– Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America(tm) (HRCA(r)). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year complimentary subscription to Honda Red Rider(tm) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com), access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
– Tank Pad.
– Magnetic Tank Bag (Black).
Engine Type: 999cc liquid-cooled 90¡ V-twin
Bore and Stroke: 100mm x 63.6mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with two injectors per cylinder
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 320mm discs with four-piston calipers
Rear: Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear: 190/50R-17 radial
Wheelbase: 55.9 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 23.5¡
Trail: 94.6mm (3.7 inches)
Seat Height: 32.3 inches
Dry Weight: 430 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 1.2-gallon reserve
Color: Black/Metallic Gray
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.