Indian Motorcycle Company Back in Business has New Home

Daily Motorcycle News has moved Here

Is the 3rd time the charm for Indian Motorcycle?

It will be a Home Run
7%
Bases are loaded and we'll see...
57%
Struck Out
37%

Total votes: 30

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#21 Unread post by CentralOzzy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:07 pm

OK RED it is!

The It would be a proper RED Indian right? :wink:

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: currently looking for new

#22 Unread post by Gadjet » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Like Mike, I would love to try out the new Scout. I like the looks of it much more than the Spirit or Chief. Sad to say, but I'm not really a big fan of the huge valanced fenders and all the other fiddly bits. I like a nice simple bike with clean lines.

And if I ever do manage to get one, I swear I won't try to farkle it out like I have my KLR. I'll try to keep it as stock as possible. :smoke:
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
IBA#20953

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#23 Unread post by Scoutmedic » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:24 pm

I sent an email off to the new Indian inquiring about engine sizes. I received an attachment of their May press release so, there's more information HERE. Way to go Mike!

At least they replied to me I guess.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 28
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#24 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Scoutmedic wrote:I sent an email off to the new Indian inquiring about engine sizes. I received an attachment of their May press release so, there's more information HERE. Way to go Mike!

At least they replied to me I guess.
I aim to please. :D When I find out more Indian motorcycle information I'll post it up on Total Motorcycle as soon as I know it.

Mike.
NEW 2020 Motorcycle Model Guides
2019 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 pm

More information on Indian Motorcycle Released:

Indian cycles to ride again
July 25, 2006 - By KEVIN MCQUAID - Herald Tribune - heraldtribune.com

Lost amid the hoopla last week over Chris-Craft Corp.'s plan to expand in North Carolina was parent Stellican Ltd.'s other bombshell: The revival of the Indian Motorcycle Co.

For the investment firm and cycling enthusiasts worldwide alike, Indian's move to start production in Kings Mountain, N.C., was a momentous breakthrough.

For London-based Stellican, the announcement capped a two-year quest to resurrect the dormant motorcycle brand, America's oldest.

For cycling aficionados, it sparked a renewed interest in one of the industry's most storied names.

"With Indian, there's a sense of the nostalgic, and people identify with an icon being reborn," said Mike Clifford, owner of Helmet-stickers.com, a Hagerstown, Md.-based motorcycle accessory company.

Indian intends to invest roughly $23 million in a 40,000-square-foot, former International Paper plant to begin production.

The nine-year-old plant, about 40 miles outside Charlotte, can be expanded to 125,000 square feet. State and county officials provided Indian with $5.2 million in incentives.

There, it will manufacture several versions of a resurrected "Chief" cycle beginning in the second half of 2007.

"We believe the Chief will be the flagship for Indian, and that's our reason for focusing on it," said David Wright, Indian Motorcycle's president. "The Chief is a full-sized, heavy cruising bike and a premium product."

Wright added the company is in the process of developing a 1,638-cc, fuel-injected engine measuring 100 cubic inches.

In its first year, Indian plans to produce a limited number of motorcycles, likely numbering about 1,000. Beginning in the 2009 model year, Indian may reintroduce "Scout" and "Spirit" models.

He declined to say how much the revamped Chief would sell for, though it wouldn't be unrealistic for it to fetch between $30,000 and $40,000 in stores.

"We'll have relatively low volume and they'll be relatively higher priced as a result," said Wright, who owns a 2004 Chief.

For Florida, Indian's shift from Manatee County -- where it has been based since Stellican's acquisition in July 2004 -- represents another lost opportunity.

In addition to the 167 manufacturing jobs paying $47,000 annually that Indian expects to create initially, the company also intends to relocate its world headquarters.

Wright believes Indian's biggest challenges now are to find good employees, create a solid distribution and dealer network and, most importantly, to build a quality motorcycle.

"Ultimately we'll be judged by the quality of the product we make," Wright said. "We plan to introduce a product that's bulletproof from an engineering standpoint, that's beautiful and a good value, no matter the cost."

Indian will also have to overcome cynics who doubt whether the famed brand, which rivaled Harley-Davidson in sales and prestige until World War II, can truly make a comeback.

Indian, which stopped production in 1953, was last manufactured in California from 1998 to 2003.

"Indian continues to have a large cult following," Clifford said. "It's like Ford and Chevy. But they are going to have to show the world they'll be around awhile."

Clifford contends, however, that Indian could make inroads into Harley-Davidson, because the cycle giant hasn't updated its basic engine technology in more than three decades. Most of the 350,000 bikes Harley-Davidson produces annually, for instance, don't have fuel-injected engines.

Wright thinks interest in premium motorcycles is high enough that both Indian and Harley-Davidson can co-exist.

"I think the market is big enough for us to capture 10 percent of what Harley does," Wright said. "And that would be a $500 million-a-year business."

"Obviously, we're competing in the same arena as Harley-Davidson is, but we think with our heritage and exclusivity, together with our focus on engineering, that we'll have a better product."

========================================

Indian Motorcycle President David Wright sits on a 2004 Indian Chief. "We believe the Chief will be the flagship for Indian, and that's our reason for focusing on it."

London-based Stellican plans to bring back the Indian Chief motorcycle. A 2004 model is seen above. As a result, Manatee County-based Indian Motorcycle will move its headquarters to North Carolina.

The third incarnation of America's oldest motorcycle line -- it was originally founded in 1901 -- is being designed right now by the same people who brought the Chris-Craft line of boats back to life. Indian plans to start selling motorcycles in the 2007 model year.

First style: a revamped "Chief"

Price: $30,000-plus

Models: four or five eventually, each customizable in four or five ways, such as different seats or handlebars or leather accents

Available: second half of 2007

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Years Riding: 41
My Motorcycle: Multistrada, SuperDuke 990, Africa Twin

#26 Unread post by High_Side » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:08 pm

I give 'em 18 months tops. :twisted:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 am

"Beginning in the 2009 model year, Indian may reintroduce "Scout" and "Spirit" models. "
Booo! They should consider making their entry level models and price point models first to gain market share and get as many Indian motorcycles on the road IMO.

Mike.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#28 Unread post by TechTMW » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:07 am

Wow. More of the same cruisers. I'm floored by their creativity. :|

Actually, I shouldn't blame them for trying to make a buck. Good luck to Indian (The 3rd time's a charm, right?)
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#29 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Indian (Gilroy, CA) started up late in 1998 and shutdown on Sept 19, 2003.
They shut their doors just as the 2004 line was coming off the line. They "finished" about 70 of the 2004 bikes.

I run a forum that is based on Indians.

When the new bikes come out of Kings Mountain they will be done right. These guys are taking their time and making sure the product is ready to be sold and not just trying to get product on the floor as Gilroy did.

In 2004 all models of Indian were to have Indian engines. The Chief had the PowerPlus100 as it had since the 2002 model year and the Scout & Spirit lines were to have a 92ci PowerPlus engine. The 92ci engine was being manufactured for Indian by S&S.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:29 pm

High_Side wrote:I give 'em 18 months tops. :twisted:
Do some research on the people behind this go around. They have a great track record of bring back companys that mismanagement drove out of business. Plus this time they are playing with THEIR OWN MONEY!! Stellican is Stephen Julies advisory group for the investing of his families trust fun. He is not going to take chances with his own money. In Gilroy they were playing with investors money ... why would they worry.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#31 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:32 pm

totalmotorcycle wrote:
"Beginning in the 2009 model year, Indian may reintroduce "Scout" and "Spirit" models. "
Booo! They should consider making their entry level models and price point models first to gain market share and get as many Indian motorcycles on the road IMO.

Mike.
That will come, but the profit is in the big bikes. Harley sells every sportster at a loss. When a company is big they can do that, but not out of the gate. These guys have a long term stratagy.

Gilroy expected to be profitable in 3 years, that was insane.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#32 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:40 pm

CentralOzzy wrote:OK RED it is!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#33 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:44 pm

Lunchbox wrote:

Now there is an Indian Chief that just oooozes charater. :drool:

Mike.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#34 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:45 pm

This is the PowerPlus 92

This is the 2004 Fat Tire Scout with the PP92

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#35 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:48 pm

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:

Now there is an Indian Chief that just oooozes charater. :drool:

Mike.
Sarcasm will get you nowhere

On the north coast of California

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#36 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 pm

High_Side wrote:The last re-birth Indians were nothing more than jobber Harley parts assembled with valenced fenders and a 50% premium over a properly engineered and constructed Harley. Their first engine of their own design never saw the light of day, and thus was never proven to be anything worthy of owning. So I just have to ask WHY would anyone buy one for anything other than the name? Help pull me from under my rock and explain to me what I am missing......
The Indian PowerPlus 100 used in the 2003 - 04 Chief and will be used in the 2007 Chief

Also, the Indian frame is a monoshock. I do not know of monoshock Harley

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#37 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Here is a picture of a frame being put together. I will try to find one a litle more together so you can see the suspension.
Image[/url]

High_Side
Years Riding: 41
My Motorcycle: Multistrada, SuperDuke 990, Africa Twin

#38 Unread post by High_Side » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Lunchbox wrote:
High_Side wrote:The last re-birth Indians were nothing more than jobber Harley parts assembled with valenced fenders and a 50% premium over a properly engineered and constructed Harley. Their first engine of their own design never saw the light of day, and thus was never proven to be anything worthy of owning. So I just have to ask WHY would anyone buy one for anything other than the name? Help pull me from under my rock and explain to me what I am missing......
The Indian PowerPlus 100 used in the 2003 - 04 Chief and will be used in the 2007 Chief

Also, the Indian frame is a monoshock. I do not know of monoshock Harley
So the engine saw the light of day, if only through a crack through the ground from the grave :P Just kidding. How many Indians with non-Jobber Harley engines did they produce back then?
I actually always liked the classic Indian lines, but really never saw the last iteration of the company being anything other than a clone builder and T-shirt marketer. I hope the next version of the company is successful but they are fighting a huge uphill battle. Polarus has managed to pull it off after a shakey start that they only got through with deep pockets and the advantage of having an operational R&D department, a dealer network, and their experience manufacturing. All the best to this weeks Indian....if they pull it off it will be against the odds.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#39 Unread post by Lunchbox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:27 pm

High_Side wrote: So the engine saw the light of day, if only through a crack through the ground from the grave :P Just kidding. How many Indians with non-Jobber Harley engines did they produce back then?
I actually always liked the classic Indian lines, but really never saw the last iteration of the company being anything other than a clone builder and T-shirt marketer. I hope the next version of the company is successful but they are fighting a huge uphill battle. Polarus has managed to pull it off after a shakey start that they only got through with deep pockets and the advantage of having an operational R&D department, a dealer network, and their experience manufacturing. All the best to this weeks Indian....if they pull it off it will be against the odds.
I got the numbers somewhere but off the top of my head they built about 6,500 PP100 engines. They sold about 4,000 (2002 - 04) Chiefs with the PP100.

The thing that many people do not understand is the conditions the Canadians got the trademarks under. They had to start building bike immediately. That is why they bought the California Motorcycle Company (CMC).

I think the other group, Eller, got screwed. They had a brand new from the ground up bike that they had been working on for several years. They had the deal made with the courts. Then the Canadians came in and …. Well, some funny "poo poo" happened and suddenly the TM were yanked from Eller and given to the Canadian group

Eller prototype

Anyway, that is a very short version on why the 1999 – 2001 Chief came out the way they did. The courts gave them no choice.

The new parent company, Stellican, “I” think is the right company to bring the Indian name back. First, they are playing with their own personal money. They do not have outside investors so they will be very careful with what they do. Second, the last company (Gilroy) has already dumped half a billion dollars in development and promotion of the last “Indian” incarnation. Talk about having a good head start handed to you. They came a long way in a short time. Had the investors not pulled their money out 2004 would have been HUGE for Indian. That Fat Tire Scout was MSRP at 14,995. They would have sold every single one they could have made. Last, Stellican has a track record that can be studied. They have brought many companies back from the dead. Two were motor sport company’s; Riva and Chris Craft. After they turned Riva around they sold it. But they say that it was a mistake that they will not do again. They have kept Chris Craft and have turned it around and back to a quality boat builder again after the name had been dragged through the mud for decades. If interested do some research on what they have been able to do with CC.

They have a great business plan for Indian. They have a slow growth plan. The first couple years they plan to build no more then 1,000 per year and slowly increase as demand calls for it.

In Gilroy they planned on building 15,000 in their second year … they sold 1,800.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#40 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:53 am

A little more news:

Chris-Craft and Indian Motorcycle to Open Manufacturing Facilities in North Carolina
July 28, 2006 - expansionmanagement.com

KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. (July 28, 2006) — Both companies have been awarded a One North Carolina Fund grant and a Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG).

Chris-Craft Corp and Indian Motorcycle Co. will open facilities in Kings Mountain, N.C., investing approximately $42 million in Cleveland County and creating 807 jobs over the next five years. The two companies will receive grants from the state’s One North Carolina Fund and Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG) program.

Founded in 1874, Chris-Craft is the oldest boat manufacturer in the United States. The company will relocate its yacht division from Sarasota, Fla. to the former Daimler-Chrysler’s Axle Alliance building in Kings Mountain and plans to begin manufacturing next year. The majority of the 640 new jobs will be skilled production positions, and while individual wages will vary greatly, the average wage for all of these positions will be $32,000 a year plus benefits, which is greater than the Cleveland County average yearly pay of $28,700, not including benefits.

Indian Motorcycle Co. will move from Sarasota, Fla., and plans to invest more than $23 million to open a motorcycle production facility in the old International Paper plant near Kings Mountain. The new 167 jobs will be skilled production and engineer positions and while individual wages will vary greatly, the average wage for all of these positions will pay an average annual salary of $47,000 plus benefits, which is more than the Cleveland County average of $28,700 a year, not including benefits.

"This state has a work force with the skills we need to build boats. Former furniture makers and woodworkers are ideal employees for us," said Stephen Heese, Chris-Craft Corporation president. "The central location near several interstates will facilitate product distribution, and the quality of life cannot be beat. The biggest factor in our decision was the warm reception we received by local and state officials, and their willingness to work with us to make this project happen."

"Our primary goal is to return Indian Motorcycle Company to its rightful position as a premium motorcycle brand, selling beautifully designed, high quality products and delivering world-class service," said David Wright, Indian Motorcycle Company president. "North Carolina offers us the skilled workforce and business-friendly atmosphere to make that happen."

Both companies have been awarded a One North Carolina Fund grant and a Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG). These two funds combined have helped create more than 30,000 jobs and an investment of more than $5 billion since 2001.

Chris-Craft and Indian Motorcycle were bought by investors who are advised by Stellican Limited. Stellican is a London-based private equity firm headed by Stephen Julius that specializes in the acquisition and revival of distressed companies with famous brand names.