:?
'80 Suzuki GS550L

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Re: What did you do today...

#4122 Unread post by QuietMonkey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:59 pm

dr_bar wrote:Slept through an earthquake today... 6.4 shaker on the westcoast of Vancouver Island...

hmm. that's interesting. one guy i work with had told me awhile ago how he didnt want to move to the Island cuz of severe weather, flooding etc... This will make him even more paranoid when i tell him :mrgreen:

i just came back from climbing. Have been getting back into a regular climbing regimen after a week off to ensure the body a little extra time to heal up from any undue stresses and an ankle that took a beating recently. It worked out well as i was able to succeed on some new climbs, learning from some other more experienced guys, actually moreso a couple of girls who's climbing style is more like my own. As usual i find women more often tend to have better technique and guys are all about muscling there way to the top... although i did meet one girl who says she has always been the "muscle" climber although her friends were teaching her (the hard way) to respect technique, use her head and conserve her energy instead of fighting through a climb.

This is the best thing since racing bikes for me. A real cool sport/hobby. Solid challenge for the next 10+ years.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Rocky Mountain Bicycle

#4123 Unread post by blues2cruise » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Quiet Monkey....if you haven't seen this..it is worth the watch....awesome woman climber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70DLM8Az_8

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#4124 Unread post by sapaul » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:02 am

JustMark wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
JustMark wrote:i turned 40!...lol
:happybirthday:

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday to you!

:specialannouncement:

kewl, my first b-day wish from someone in another country! :kicking:

and thank you!
Here's another one, happy birthday Mate (belated, sorry) 40 is really a special one, not that I can remember, mine was a long time ago.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4125 Unread post by Johnj » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 am

Leaving on a 3 day trip through Arkansas.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#4126 Unread post by sapaul » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:51 am

Johnj wrote:Leaving on a 3 day trip through Arkansas.
I was going to say something, then remembered we have moderators on this board. :lol:

Have a great trip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

seriously, ride well, stay safe,

and enjoy
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4127 Unread post by QuietMonkey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:54 am

blues2cruise wrote:Quiet Monkey....if you haven't seen this..it is worth the watch....awesome woman climber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70DLM8Az_8
thanks so much for the vid. it was great to watch her climb and hear the background story.

i actually havent watched any videos of climbing in recent memory, although i have read a few articles.... just known for a long time that i wanted to get into it, after doing a little caving and learning some basic rope/rappell/belay techniques a long time ago. I have one DVD, come to think of it, havent watched it yet... prefer to just get into it, and learn on my own, watching other climbers and sharing observations and experiences. The people Ive met generally seem to have many good characteristics of those i find in other less structured, freestyle sports, like trials, skateboarding, even snowboarding and skiing... people are often more cooperative than purely competitive...

Most i've met are humble about what they dont know and open with what they do. There's very little b.s. as compared to other "group" sports. Much less ego because people (generally) climb to build themselves rather than to impress others. They realize the challenge is there self rather than being "against" other people. Ive only met a couple people so far who are different than this open style of learning. It seems more common that everyone is a teacher and everyone is a student. It's a mindset i find hard to find in society, whereas with climbing it's the inverse. People share hard fought knowledge more readily. They havent a "need" to protect themselves or there "status" and so experience and knowledge flows more readily. The truth surfaces quickly in this atmosphere.

The freestyle stuff is exactly what i find most rewarding for it's purity and intensity. i may segue into ropes & harness somewhere down the road as a 'safety net' as i push for longer climbs, although i would prefer to never use ropes. We'll see. Lots of time to grow into it. The safety of the climb means learning to be patient and well prepared... sometimes patience means a year or two of solid preparation before moving onto the next level.

The nice thing watching the Catherine Destivelle video is that it looks quite old, and there is probably some great stories about her climbing and life to find and read.

Thanks again for the vid, Bluesy, and the reminder to snoop around for some other inspiration. Although I find learning this stuff is very inspiring and motivating all on it's own.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 28
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4128 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:58 am

I put up tons of new 2012 Yamaha motorcycle models...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... yamaha.htm

Enjoy...

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=43532
NEW 2020 Motorcycle Model Guides
2019 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14

#4129 Unread post by sunshine229 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:12 pm

I smiled when I heard some news out of the head office that affects me in a very positive way. :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#4130 Unread post by mogster » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Spent a pre birthday evening with my. Fella & best mate + her man + son¤1.

Had some absinthe & then had to recite Scott + Burns.

Happy Birthday to me :D :cheers:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4131 Unread post by agraebner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Happy Bday mogster :bday1: Im kinda laid up for a little bit till my ankle heals up some. I twisted it pretty badly and cant stand to put weight on it just yet...... I have broken it several times before so all it took to mess it up this time was bad timing of my nephew's kid and my dog combined sent me falling off the back step. Im glad I could provide entertainment for everyone that saw it happen.... This already killed my plans for going to harpers ferry tomorrow :( :( I am hoping its well enough for the trip im trying to take next month through Blue Ridge Parkway.........
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01

#4132 Unread post by madjak30 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 am

Went to U-Haul today and rented a bike trailer...heading out in a few hours to pick up the bike...17hrs of driving, round trip...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4133 Unread post by Wrider » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:29 am

Oh boy does that ever sound like fun........
Best of luck, I hope to see pictures of it up close!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sunshine229

#4134 Unread post by sunshine229 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 am

mogster wrote:Spent a pre birthday evening with my. Fella & best mate + her man + son¤1.

Had some absinthe & then had to recite Scott + Burns.

Happy Birthday to me :D :cheers:
Happy Birthday Mogster!!!

:holiday:

sunshine229

#4135 Unread post by sunshine229 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:19 am

agraebner wrote:Im kinda laid up for a little bit till my ankle heals up some. I twisted it pretty badly and cant stand to put weight on it just yet...... I have broken it several times before so all it took to mess it up this time was bad timing of my nephew's kid and my dog combined sent me falling off the back step.
Oh no! Get better soon!

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4136 Unread post by QuietMonkey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Ive been doing some Saturday morning extra snoozing today! zzzzzzzz... mmmmmm....

Happy B-Day Mogster! I hope you're birthday fun spans a few more days.

I'll quaff my next Guinness in fond salute of folks from the UK for exporting such fine goods.

A co-worker has a birthday tomorrow (or Monday??) and she was headed off yesterday on a little weekend of fun (and work unfortunately) at some Carnival/Fairground. Some place called Rock Creek, a few hours away. I'm still not sure if I am going to hop on the bike to go see the Fair, so what I did was sneak a little birthday gift into her stuff just before she left (giggle). She probably found it by now. It's a combination of sincerity and sillyness so I hope it brings a little smile to her face.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#4137 Unread post by mogster » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:06 pm

[quote="QuietMonkey"
]
Happy B-Day Mogster! I hope you're birthday fun spans a few more days.

I'll quaff my next Guinness in fond salute of folks from the UK for exporting such fine goods.
.[/quote]

Cheers guys :D have had a great day, in fact a great holiday/birthday week! :lol:

QM :I appreciate the sentiment but in the interest of international diplomacy I must ppint out that the black stuff is Irish & not from the UK.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4138 Unread post by QuietMonkey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 pm

mogster wrote:I must ppint out that the black stuff is Irish & not from the UK.
Thanks for the history note -- now I'll just wait for St. Patty's Day and thank some Russian's to ensure the Irish are being forgotten for there formidable worldly contributions :-) or should I thank the Irish for Sputnik and correct the imbalance?

Your so much wiser today just for realizing it's not worth being much wiser when the rest of the world is moving in slow m..o...t...i..o..n.....

i was wise enough to just be a vegetable today and watch the Isle of Man Superbike races... coincidentally won by Guinness... John McGuinness.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 28

#4139 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:28 am

Posted some more new 2012 KTM motorcycle models

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 12-ktm.htm

2012 KTM Revolution: New engines, frames and looks!

KTM has consistently been taking on competitors in the top enduro competition classes. That means 43 years of constant development and continuous improvement of a concept tried and tested in countless competitions. This is the tradition that KTM is breaking from with the new EXC and XC model range. KTM is taking 2 steps in one. The 2012 XC and EXC generation is not simply an improvement on the previous models; it is a technical masterpiece, redesigned from scratch that sets new standards. Revolution rather than evolution. 2012 KTM Motorcycle Model Guide
NEW 2020 Motorcycle Model Guides
2019 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4140 Unread post by QuietMonkey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:05 pm

totalmotorcycle wrote:2012 KTM Revolution: New engines, frames and looks!
ohhh ya!

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ixDays.htm

KTM, Yam and a few other european manufacturers still know what a sweet, nimble, balanced two-stroke cross-country bike is all about!

Luckily I am continuing unabated in my climbing fun and the upper body is getting more dirt-riding serious each week. However I luv the climbing so much it will be hard to sacrifice the cash for a new bike! I would rather travel and find a fun travelling girlfriend! We shall see...

bikey nicey. me likey.