21%

Total votes: 178

joolz
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '09 VN900 Custom

#61 Unread post by joolz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:50 am

If the choice was mine I would still wear a helmet- I like the protection but not the legal constraint
I kiss my dog on the mouth

santanu
Veteran
Veteran

#62 Unread post by santanu » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:20 am

Every one should wear a helmet. Its Important. It saves lives.

Along with Helmet I also like all to wear proper Riding Gears. but Helmets are a Must
http://xKmph.com - Indian Bikers community

azpnshr
Rookie
Rookie

#63 Unread post by azpnshr » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:26 am

I don't believe it should be a law.....however, I won't ride without one. The only concern I have is my insurance premiums going up to pay for those in accidents who have brain damage and stuck on life support due to their failure to wear proper gear.

CmHall9
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#64 Unread post by CmHall9 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:44 pm

First of all I am going to wear a helmet. I personally think that everyone else should wear one too when riding.

But, should there be a law requiring everyone to wear a helmet. NO.

Why?

In my opinion…
You should be allowed to do whatever you want to yourself … as long as it dose not interfere with, take away from, or hurt someone else.

In other words … If you don’t want to wear a helmet, cool. Just remember, you are responsible for your own actions and decisions.
:whatdidimiss:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#65 Unread post by dr_bar » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:21 am

Orion9 wrote:First of all I am going to wear a helmet. I personally think that everyone else should wear one too when riding.

Why?

In my opinion…
You should be allowed to do whatever you want to yourself … as long as it dose not interfere with, take away from, or hurt someone else.

In other words … If you don’t want to wear a helmet, cool. Just remember, you are responsible for your own actions and decisions.

Can I add that The public shouldn't have to cover any health care costs, nor should anyone's insurance costs go up, because of a veggie in a home...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#66 Unread post by Bluebabe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Orion9 wrote:First of all I am going to wear a helmet. I personally think that everyone else should wear one too when riding.

Why?

In my opinion…

The only issue here is that you do hurt someone else when you don't wear a helmet and you die.....but, I understand what you're saying....let people kill them selves if they want.

A couple that we rode with, he would wear a helmet once in a while, she always did. In an intersection one day, waiting to turn, just a little bump to her bike in front, sent him to the ground and the hit to the back of the head killed him. She survived with just some bumps and bruises AND she also hit her head. Her helmet shows it.

So, yes, they don't PHYSCIALLY hurt others, but, sometimes the emotional is harder to heal.

Think about those you love and that love you when you ride....

My :twocents:
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Arctic Servants Chapter

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#67 Unread post by dean owens » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Bluebabe wrote:

Why?

In my opinion…

The only issue here is that you do hurt someone else when you don't wear a helmet and you die.....but, I understand what you're saying....let people kill them selves if they want.

A couple that we rode with, he would wear a helmet once in a while, she always did. In an intersection one day, waiting to turn, just a little bump to her bike in front, sent him to the ground and the hit to the back of the head killed him. She survived with just some bumps and bruises AND she also hit her head. Her helmet shows it.

So, yes, they don't PHYSCIALLY hurt others, but, sometimes the emotional is harder to heal.

Think about those you love and that love you when you ride....

My :twocents:
your "argument" can be used as to why you don't even need to ride a bike. there in lies the problem.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#68 Unread post by Bluebabe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:19 am

Hmm, I disagree, but I understand where you are coming from.....

Not riding for us/me isn't an option so that isn't part of the solution for us, but again, I understand you saying to completely prevent anything like that happening, don't ride, but that just wouldn't work for us ;)

Kind of like rock climbing or anything else, sky diving, you would want your friends and family to take the extra step to keep themselves safe, but I would rather see them do the activity than not at all, and yes, it comes back around to each person doing what they want, the way they want, but then my opinion is that it is more than that, it's recognizing that whether you like it or not, you effect those around you in a positive or negative way with what you do or don't do, sorry that's the way of things. I guess I am saying, please love what you do, but do the best you can to keep yourself safe while you do it for those that love you. Yeah, I am still a little mad at my friend, he just died this last summer so, it is still a little raw so you gotta bear with me. Just want others to think outside themsleves, that's all.
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:

Arctic Servants Chapter

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#69 Unread post by dean owens » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Bluebabe wrote:Yeah, I am still a little mad at my friend, he just died this last summer so, it is still a little raw so you gotta bear with me. Just want others to think outside themsleves, that's all.
i can understand that. and i'm sorry for your loss, but mostly for your friends loss. that's gotta stink (and i know that word doesn't come close to conveying the emotions in that situation). that's the reason i took the BRC and i wear a fullfaced helmet, a good jacket, boots, gloves and riding pants. i have a wife, a daughter and another little girl on the way. and that doesn't count other family and friends. i can't imagine riding without protection and training.
BUT
i know there are people that think i'm dumb for even riding since i have a family. to them it's not safe and i'm going to die very soon if i keep it up. they think i'm dumb. i think the one without the helmet is dumb. i say, if you want to be dumb, you should have the freedom to do so.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#70 Unread post by Bluebabe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:41 pm

Amen
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:

Arctic Servants Chapter

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#71 Unread post by canuckerjay » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:02 pm

I think the decision must vary according to how one's actions affect thier society.

Up here (Canada) we have public health care, paid for by very high taxation. Everyone covers everybody. In our situation, if a person goes topless (without helmet) and winds up in a trauma room, that massive expense is paid for by everyone else's tax dollars. So, in Canada, I'm in favour of helmet laws.

But in the States, (and you'll correct me if I'm missing something, please), to my knowledge, your health care is your own individual responsibility. So if you choose to ride topless and wind up in a trauma room, you're the one who winds up owing the hospital tens of thousands of dollars (correct?), and not anyone else (in most cases). In that case, since it's you who foots the bill, I'm against helmet laws in such a society. You should have the freedom to choose how safe you wish to live your life, as long as the impact of your actions on others will be within a reasonable limit.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular

beyond the saftey

#72 Unread post by gypsy_woman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:36 am

I love helmets, the being all geared out and carefree is exhilarating but if i am wearing a full face helmet, I dunno, kinda silly i feel like I am all dressed up. not to mention arriving and taking off my helmet is cool to. plus it is cold/rainy most of the time in oregon so i really wouldn't want to ride without.
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Rocky Mountain Bicycle

Re: beyond the saftey

#73 Unread post by blues2cruise » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:38 pm

gypsy_woman wrote:I love helmets, the being all geared out and carefree is exhilarating but if i am wearing a full face helmet, I dunno, kinda silly i feel like I am all dressed up. not to mention arriving and taking off my helmet is cool to. plus it is cold/rainy most of the time in oregon so i really wouldn't want to ride without.
....I have learned to "embrace" helmet hair. :laughing:

I think helmet laws are necessary or there would be a lot of folks out who would choose no the wear them. I suspect there would be alot more head injuries if not for the law.

Whip Lash
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha GTS1000 & 2003 Harley RK

Re: Helmet laws - for or against

#74 Unread post by Whip Lash » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Since I wear glasses and don't like grit in my eyes I wear an open face helmet with a wrap around flat face shield. This keeps all kinds of dirt and bugs off me peepers. I have lived in states where I could ride without a helmet and I did. Was young and dumb. Now I live in CA and you must wear a helmet here. It is like a seat belt to me. I feel naked without a helmet when riding a bike and a seat belt when in a car. But what next? Air Bags on a Honda Gold Wing? The answer is Yesh.
Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

dj biker
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 2007 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic

#75 Unread post by dj biker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:07 pm

I think that anyone that demands that everyone wear a helmet, should ask themself what does a helmet really do? What is it designed to protect you from? Helmet DOT standards are such that the DOT certification is that a helmet will protect your head from a fall from approximately 42 inches at a complete stop. So if you are sitting at a red light and fall over, you are protected. In a crash, well, you are as likely to have head and neck injuries from the extra weight of the helmet as you are to be protected from the impact with the SUV. I wear a helmet on every ride as well, but not to be fooled by DOT standards. If you are wearing a helmet to protect you from a crash, keep drinking the kool-aid. If the helmet would protect your head from splitting open when you hit that Buick, then I am sure there would be no argument from me. However this is not the case. If you are wearing to prevent road rash if you go down, that is probably a good idea. Personally I like the protection from the sun and the errant June bug or wasp that loves to hit you in the face.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#76 Unread post by storysunfolding » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:22 pm

You realize that a fall from 42 inches at 0 mph= a fall from 42 inches at 65 mph right?

Do you have anything to back up your statement about head and neck injuries? NHTSA, NSC, MSF and various others have studies and references that disagree with the notion that wearing a helmet creates an additional risk of head and neck injuries.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#77 Unread post by HYPERR » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:19 pm

We don't have a helmet law in CT. Most riders do wear helmets however. The glaring exception are the middle aged cruiser riders. Ironically the ones that should be old enough to know better. Whenever I read about a motorcyclist death in the paper, it is almost pretty much with 99% certainty that it is a male, in his 40s or 50s, riding a cruiser, and you guessed it, no helmet. And in the vast majority of the cases, it involves a car driver who was at fault.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Rocky Mountain Bicycle

#78 Unread post by blues2cruise » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:39 pm

HYPERR wrote:We don't have a helmet law in CT. Most riders do wear helmets however. The glaring exception are the middle aged cruiser riders. Ironically the ones that should be old enough to know better. Whenever I read about a motorcyclist death in the paper, it is almost pretty much with 99% certainty that it is a male, in his 40s or 50s, riding a cruiser, and you guessed it, no helmet. And in the vast majority of the cases, it involves a car driver who was at fault.
We have helmet laws here. Some riders wear helmets that are more novelty, but until the law changes they will wear them. They do nothing except maybe prevent sunburn on the bald spot. :lol:

Regarding the crashes....the majority of reported deaths here are the same demographic however, it is usually rider fault...Speed was a factor....alcohol was a factor....the other category tends to be inexperienced mostly young sport bike riders.

A couple of years ago a rider got killed on a local bridge. Speeding/lost control....His demise? Head injury. He was wearing a novelty beanie helmet. The coroner stated that if he had been wearing a proper helmet he would have survived.

Having personal freedoms is wonderful, but when people make stupid choices that end up costing all of us...then we need laws to protect us.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#79 Unread post by HYPERR » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:04 am

blues2cruise wrote:
Having personal freedoms is wonderful, but when people make stupid choices that end up costing all of us...then we need laws to protect us.
Yep exactly. I suppose it may be their right to split their skull open if they want as long as they do not have minors that are dependent on them. However what these selfish people don't realize is that their irresponsibility and stupidity will invevitably become a burden on society.

I once saw a pack of HD riders with NY plates cross over the CT border. NY has a helmet law, CT does not. As soon as they crossed the border, they all stopped their bikes in the middle of the road, took off their helmet(which resembled a yamulka more than a helmet) and did those stupid fist raises and yelled something about freedom. Now they were not teenagers but all grown men in their 40's, 50's, & 60's. The reactions from other drivers on the road were mixed. Some honked and screamed obscenities at them, some just quietly went around them and drove on, and some just pointed at them and laughed their a$$es off. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#80 Unread post by ofblong » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:43 pm

dj biker wrote:I think that anyone that demands that everyone wear a helmet, should ask themself what does a helmet really do? What is it designed to protect you from? Helmet DOT standards are such that the DOT certification is that a helmet will protect your head from a fall from approximately 42 inches at a complete stop. So if you are sitting at a red light and fall over, you are protected. In a crash, well, you are as likely to have head and neck injuries from the extra weight of the helmet as you are to be protected from the impact with the SUV. I wear a helmet on every ride as well, but not to be fooled by DOT standards. If you are wearing a helmet to protect you from a crash, keep drinking the kool-aid. If the helmet would protect your head from splitting open when you hit that Buick, then I am sure there would be no argument from me. However this is not the case. If you are wearing to prevent road rash if you go down, that is probably a good idea. Personally I like the protection from the sun and the errant June bug or wasp that loves to hit you in the face.

1. Why do you insist on opening up 2 year old threads???

2. My brother was in a 3 wheel accident at 60mph. His helmet shattered but it saved his life. What if he wasnt wearing that helmet? Yup you guess it his head would have shattered. He had ZERO neck injuries. He did have a head injury but then again hitting a tree at 60mph with your head and then having your 3 wheeler land on top of your helmet afterwards didnt help (those things arent light). You know what because of that helmet neither the tree NOR the 3 wheeler touched his head. He wouldnt have much of a head left if that helmet wasnt worn.

So there you go a helmet DOES protect your head from splitting open. You might get a head injury because well lets face it there is nothing that will keep your brain from banging around inside your skull.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]