Is there a bike out with a mix of cruiser and sport bike?

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

Re: Is there a bike out with a mix of cruiser and sport bike

#31 Unread post by shane-o »

gsus wrote:I started off on an 83 Honda Shadow 750 in 2007, in May of 2008 I moved up to a 96 Honda Magna only to loose it in an accident a week later. After I got back on my feet a few months later I decided to try a different style bike, so I picked up a really low mileage 88 Honda Hawk GT NT650 (at a really low price) only to realize a month later that it didn't suit me or my family jewels very well! So I sold the NT650 and picked up a 97 Honda VFR750.

The VFR is much roomier and considerably more comfortable than the NT650... I still feel that I'm too leaned over. I've tried gripping the tank with my knees, using my back to support my upper body but for some reason it doesn't do much for me. Maybe my back muscles need some working out or maybe sport bikes aren't really made for me. I would love to go back to the Magna but there were several things that sort of made me not get another Magna after my accident.

During the time that I've owned these bikes I've realized a few things that I would like and not like on my future bike:
I like the upright positioning of the cruisers better
I prefer to have my feet below me rather than in front of me
I like disc brakes front and back (my cruisers had drum brakes in back!)
I like the extra distance that I get with 5.5gal tank in the VFR
I like the down low torque of the V-twins (but also the rush of HP in the VFR and Magna)
I don't like the vibration from the V-twins (the V4's win here for me)
I don't necessarily like or dislike fairings, so I'm indifferent here
I'd prefer to do away with carbs, but I can go either way.

Is there maybe a better bike that you guys can think of that would suit me a bit better? I'm 5'10" (30" inseam) and about 275lbs.

If there is such a bike ie. Cruiser/sport-tourer mix, then all those responsible for such an abomination should be strung up by their testicles and forced to watch american idol for a week straight.

thats just rong rong rong ;)

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Whitetiger018
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#32 Unread post by Whitetiger018 »

If there is such a bike ie. Cruiser/sport-tourer mix, then all those responsible for such an abomination should be strung up by their testicles and forced to watch american idol for a week straight.

Man thats harsh AMERICAN IDOL FOR A WEEK STRAIGHT !!!!!!

I'd commet SUISIDE !!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:
I own a 2000 VT1100 Honda Shadow
I Ride with the Patriot Guard Riders

gsus
Regular
Regular

#33 Unread post by gsus »

I put my bike up for sale on CL for about a day (if that) and then reconsidered, partly because I couldn't remember where I had left my title. However, I'm now going to give the VFR another chance this Spring. IF, the bike still doesn't work out for me, I have for the most part narrowed my selection to the following bikes:

Yamaha FZ1 with taller bars
Suzuki V-Strom - either 650 or 1000, would like abs though.
Honda Magna - will need Valkyrie tank & VFR SSSA

Thanks for all of the input guys!
shane-o wrote:If there is such a bike ie. Cruiser/sport-tourer mix, then all those responsible for such an abomination should be strung up by their testicles and forced to watch american idol for a week straight.

thats just rong rong rong ;)

The V-strom kind of falls into that category for me (even though I think it's classified as a dual sport?)... kind of why I like it. But! The Honda DN-01 would be the best candidate for my hybrid (cruiser/sport bike) idea... but it's too fugly for me and I like shifting :).

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#34 Unread post by storysunfolding »

gsus wrote:The Honda DN-01 would be the best candidate for my hybrid (cruiser/sport bike) idea... but it's too fugly for me and I like shifting :).
Yeah, not to mention the $7k transmission gets in the way of buying it.

Go Strom and never look back
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#35 Unread post by MZ33 »

Unless it doesn't fit you, then look into that faaabulous Versys! That I still can't pick up until tomorrow.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#36 Unread post by jstark47 »

MZ33 wrote:
Unless it doesn't fit you, then look into that faaabulous Versys! That I still can't pick up until tomorrow.
Yeahbut... per the specs, Versys seat height = 33.1 inches, V-Strom 650 seat height = 32.3 inches. If the VStrom 650 is too tall, how's the Versys gonna fit?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#37 Unread post by shalihe74 »

I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but Triumph's Sprint ST is a great mix of sportbike and cruiser. The ergos are much less aggressive than on a sportbike, making it comfortable for longer hauls (a couple of must-do mods, though, are a double bubble windscreen and gel grips).

The engine is a detuned 1050cc that has tremendous low-end power and torque (kicking in with a vengeance at about 3.5k) that keeps pulling all the way to the rev limiter.

I bought the ST because I wanted a bike that would help me slow down and enjoy the scenery (as opposed to just picking lines) and, um... well, that hasn't worked very well. On my 675 you can go fast, and you know it... on the Sprint, speed is just effortless.

Just my :twocents:. You may be owed change.
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#38 Unread post by jstark47 »

shalihe74 wrote:I bought the ST because I wanted a bike that would help me slow down and enjoy the scenery (as opposed to just picking lines) and, um... well, that hasn't worked very well.
IIRC, you were supposedta be buying an old Trophy fer that...... :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#39 Unread post by shalihe74 »

jstark47 wrote:
shalihe74 wrote:I bought the ST because I wanted a bike that would help me slow down and enjoy the scenery (as opposed to just picking lines) and, um... well, that hasn't worked very well.
IIRC, you were supposedta be buying an old Trophy fer that...... :mrgreen:
:laughing: Yeeeeeeeeah.... that was the idea, buuuut... when I took the Trophy in to my dealership to be checked out, there were a couple of things that weren't exactly wrong with the bike, but dodgy enough that the service manager/ex-boyfriend didn't feel comfortable with my buying it.

I tabled the idea, and kind of forgot about a 2nd bike for a while. Then, I was hanging out at the dealership one day - in the service area, aka 'the safe zone' since there isn't anything there to buy! - and they played dirty pool by uncrating a beautiful blue Sprint. It was love at first sight. :inlove:

Sooooooo, for Valentine's Day this year, I gave myself the Sprint AND a new-to-me 99 SV650 track-only bike. I've had the Sprint for 1.5 weeks now, have just over 900 miles on it already, and absolutely love it. :mrgreen:
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

Chuck_theHammer
Rookie
Rookie

#40 Unread post by Chuck_theHammer »

Must be nice riding allready...

a foot of snow in the yard and 2 inches of ice on my side street... also 20 degrees outside
Chuck_the Hammer
2005 Honda VTX1800F Silver Tribal 22k *1972 Honda CB750 K2
1966 Honda CB77 Superhawk sold 1972 7.5k * 1972 Honda CB750 K2 sold 1975 21k
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing sold 1983 63k * 1983 Honda GL1100A sold 1987 102k
1983 Honda VF750F sold 1990 14k * 1988 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane sold 2003 19k
1986 Honda GL1200SEI sold 2005 130k * Total Miles 376,000