Fair Weather Riders

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

Fair Weather Riders

#1 Unread post by Mintbread » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:43 pm

As the weather has started to warm up down under I have noticed a lot more bikes on the road and more guys are riding their bikes in to work.
I, on the other hand, ride my bike all year round regardless if it is cold or pouring with rain and just shake my head at these limp-wristed part-time riders and constantly question their commitment to motorcycling in general.

We do not get months of snow over here that would make it physically impossible to ride so my question is only relative to cold weather and rain.

Are you a fair weather rider and if so, why?
Last edited by Mintbread on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by Andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:50 pm

Ask me at the end of the winter...

I plan on riding through the winter, and don't consider myself a fair weather rider, but I don't see any problem with those who are. If riding is supposed to be enjoyable, why ride if the weather is keeping you from having fun?

The only thing that will keep me from riding(for now) is heavy rain or ice. Luckily, we don't get much of that here(TX).
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm not necessarily a fair weather rider, but there are certain conditions that will make me use my car.

Right now the roads are particularly bad dues to the combination of extreme rain and autumn leaves. The roads are very slick.

I don't mind if it's plain old rain or a bit cold.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#4 Unread post by gsJack » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:59 pm

I have ridden year round here in NE Ohio since I started riding 22 years ago at age 52. Usually like it above 20F, but have been out when colder. Don't ride if streets are slippery with ice or snow, wait a bit till they spread the salt and then go rust collecting. :D
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#5 Unread post by scan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:59 pm

I don't ride for a living, nor do I need to ride to work, as I work at home. I am a fair weather rider by definition. I don't ride in the rain unless I plan a trip and it rains that weekend, or if I'm somewhere and it rains before I get back. Otherwise I won't leave on purpose when it is raining. In the off season when it is very cold I pick the warmest of the cold days to run the bike for an half-hour or so every week or so. I prefer to ride in the nice weather, but I have been out in the rain, and I run my bike in the Winter when I never see another bike on the road besides me. That make me feel slightly hardcore.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by jonnythan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:22 pm

That's a really elitist, snobbish attitude.

As if these other riders don't meet your standards for being "committed" to the sport. They're not up to your requirements for being "motorcyclists."

What the @%!# do you care if they enjoy riding in the cold and rain?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#7 Unread post by Mintbread » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Of course it is a commitment thing.

If a swimmer does not want to get up before dawn and swim laps, or a body builder doesn't spend countless hours in the gym then they are less committed than those that do.

Simple.

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by Andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:20 pm

There is a huge difference between any exercise regimen wher a few days off will set you back big time vs. riding a motorcycle. That's a horrible comparison.
2004 BMW K1200RS

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Shorts » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:21 pm

But isn't doing the activity essentially "committed". Body builders have a point to reach, winning contests. Swimmers have a goal to reach, winning meets. Motorcycle riders - they ride their bikes when they feel it. Is that the whole point, going for a ride?? Who cares when you do it.

That said, most of our riding is fair weather, it gets pretty crappy out here. Since now 95% of our riding is 2up to explore and chill, yes we like the fair weather. We have been caught in downpours. We never intentionally leave when its raining. But we do leave for rides knowing its cold outside, it gets you all frisky.

It isn't fun when the activity you're doing makes you miserable. Part of that is wearing the right gear. Some is being sure about your ability in the bad weather. There's a lot of reasons that factor in to 'fair weather riders'. That'll pass with time. And isn't that what being committed is about, putting in the time for the long term?
Last edited by Shorts on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Mintbread » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:22 pm

Andrew wrote: wher a few days off will set you back big time
I didn't realise that I said anything about a few days off. That assumption was horrible.

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#11 Unread post by Andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:29 pm

No, you spoke about taking an entire season off. I was pointing out why those other activities require commitment. A few days off hurts a lot, so it's important to stay committed. The same thing can't be said for riding a motorcycle.
2004 BMW K1200RS

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#12 Unread post by Andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:35 pm

Riding season, but it really doesn't matter. We're not talking about the number of days. I just don't understand what 'being more committed' is supposed to prove. But hey, whatever makes you happy.
2004 BMW K1200RS

307T
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by 307T » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm on the same wavelength as Scan. I make no excuses such as my age, where I live, or what I ride, that's just the way it is. You asked and you can consider me a fair weather rider by choice.
Back in the saddle again

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#14 Unread post by Mintbread » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Andrew wrote:I just don't understand what 'being more committed' is supposed to prove.
That you will ride regardless.

Geez, it isn't that difficult...

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Sev » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:21 pm

I'm a fair weather rider. If there's ice on the ground... I don't ride.

Fair weather is a relative term ;). I'm hoping to compete in an ice race with my class this year though :D!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#16 Unread post by VermilionX » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:36 pm

i don't enjoy riding in the rain, hard rain, snow, hail, thick fog.

i already experienced it. it's just not fun for me.

i also don't like canyon riding at night.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#17 Unread post by Kal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:22 am

The point there is snow and ice on the ground then I question if I should be committed, I certainly stop taking the huge joy rides that are normal in the summer.

Motorbikes have never really been a sport for me. I came up from the Metallers in a Biker pub so bikes are just an extension of who I am, later they are a form of transport but sport? Not really.

Andrew wrote:No, you spoke about taking an entire season off. I was pointing out why those other activities require commitment. A few days off hurts a lot, so it's important to stay committed. The same thing can't be said for riding a motorcycle.

If you take an entire season off then you will not be as good at the start of the next season than you were at the end of the last. Practise is everything. It's why over here there is a higher percentage of accidents per bikes on the road in springtime than there is in winter.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

CajunBass
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by CajunBass » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 am

I ride in some pretty crappy weather. A lot of times my bike is the only one in the parking lot at work. I've got a 156 mile RT and I've made it in temps down below 20, and as high as 100+. I've ridden in hard rain, toad strangler thunderstorm, in fog, day, night, even once in a dusting of snow. I logged just over 20,000 miles in the last year.

Having said that, I did it because I wanted to, not to prove anything to anyone. Just tonight, the weather forcast is calling for heavy rain by morning. (I'm working the graveyard shift.) I didn't feel like riding in the rain. I drove the car.

I guess I'm not "committed" enough for you. So you win.
[color=red]For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.[/color]
John 3:16 (NKJV)

earwig
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by earwig » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:03 am

I ride for enjoyment only. Just like how people watch tv or play video games. If it is cold out I'd rather be comfortable in my truck with heat and comfy seats... if it is raining I'd rather stay dry and warm. If I have to put any extra effort into riding because of the weather I'd rather just drive. I think not riding every day/all the time keeps it exciting and gives me something to look forward to. I think people like you (mintbread) who brag about anything they do more than someone else or brag about being hardcore are really just lame.

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#20 Unread post by KingRobb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:31 am

I even ride when i am on fire and its sleeting.

Thru godzillas urine or earthquakes opening the ground. There are none as hardcore as I.

Get over it.

Besides chrome looks yechy when its rained and road crudded on.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke