Oil Change '01 XLH

katmandhu
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Oil Change '01 XLH

#1 Unread post by katmandhu »

I have help, don't panic... But I am going to do my first oil change after a year & a half & 3,000 miles on my bike. I don't have a manual, so I am hoping someone can give me a clue. I want to change to Amsoil & not sure if a gallon will cover it. I need to use this in the tranny as well, right? What else should I do at this point while I have a man willing to help me?
Live each day to the fullest.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

No you need to use a oil designed for Sporty trannys. This is different from lube used on BTs. rev Tec,Ultma,MF and many others make Sport Primary lube. I think but am not sure if Amsoil makes a pri lube. Early recommendation was to use same oil as motor. HD now says to use sport primary lube in all Sportys and Ks from 52 through 2003. (on older bikes it does improve shifting)
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

katmandhu
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by katmandhu »

Wow, that was quick! Thank you. I'll show it to Diz when he gets here. If it isn't obvious by now, I am not mechanically inclined & no, I am not blonde... just not allowed to use anything other than a screwdriver & small hammers.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

Harley did not come out with Primary Lube until in the 80s. They then said to retro fit this lube in older machines. And it does make shifting easier.

katmandhu
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by katmandhu »

slimcolo wrote:Harley did not come out with Primary Lube until in the 80s. They then said to retro fit this lube in older machines. And it does make shifting easier.
Anything to make shifting easier is welcome! I recently had the gears cleaned after having to kick it to downshift & I mean kick it. Now I've noticed I'm not easily upshifting from 1st to 2nd. Never could find Neutral when I wanted to, but now I'm finding it when I don't want it! LOL Any ideas?